main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Darth Maul: Is he awesome or is he sucky?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by MaulLover1313, May 26, 2014.

?

Is Darth Maul awesome or sucky?

1. Awesome/Good Character

81.9%
  2. Sucky/Bad Character

18.1%
  1. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    But not like Vader's level popular. For preventing their popularity, Lucas gave them small parts in the movies. He showed their strength but limited their characters.

2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

There is no in-between?

Jesse Booth likes this.
  3. Jesse Booth

Jesse Booth Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2014
    From what I saw of Maul when Lucas finally fleshed out his personality, I like him better than Vader!

Marco1907 and Sudooku like this.
  4. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    And before I forget: Both Anakin and Maul killed their girlfriend/wife because of their devotion to Sith-rule and orders imposed upon them by their master Sidious. Though Anakin did'nt it with full conscousness, but his strangling force-grip while arguing with padme and his disappearance afterwards and his turning to the dark side in combination finally led to her death. I always wonder how Anakin even could imagine that as a Sith, there would be no more hiding in being together with Padme and children anymore. (Irony-modus on: There was not the slightest glimpse of a chance, they could go out in the evening as a just-married couple, while gramps Sidious would take care of the infants. Irony-modus off). And Sidious wanted to kill Padme several times. In the end he was successful. Vader accomplished what his former apprentices were unable to manage. :(

While Maul killed Kilindi Matako in full awareness like all the others at the Orsis-Academy. And I wonder how his life would have went if he really would have received this surprise announced to him by the Nautolan Girl and her friend Daleen after he was supposed to have passed the exam of Gora at Orsis.
    I was disappointed too, when Maul fell into the shaft at Naboo with no return in the pre- and sequels. :( But I understand that Lucas wanted to avoid this guy stealing Vader the show, which Maul could have done very easily.

But in the end: when it turned out that Maul have become that popular: Why isn't there a movie about him? There is pretty much written stuff available about him, which is easily to be collected, arranged and summed up in moved pics. Even in a trilogy. And such a Maul-Movie really could become a street-swiper :D

Jesse Booth likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    He had a lot of potential but it was wasted with his death.

6. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Sorry, I meant street-sweeper. Not swiper. I just intertweened sweep and wipe.

Force Smuggler: Why did you write, his potential WAS wasted with his dead? As far as I know his end is yet to come.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  7. Jesse Booth

Jun 8, 2014
    BARDAN EDIT: NO, AND ATTEMPTS TO DO SO WILL GET YOU BANNED.

Sudooku and DARTHLINK like this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I was referring to his role in Episode 1. I refuse to count his role in TCW. Maul died in TPM. Not lived past it. Was dead for 12-13 years OOU and they brought him back for money reasons. Maul was not needed in the era. They had Anakin, Obi-Wan, Ashoka, Yoda, Dooku, Grievous etc. They really couldn't come up with stuff for them to do? Heck they had Savage Oppress for crying out loud! Waste of however many episodes that was. Expanding the show when they could have started wrapping it up more. Battle of Coruscant anyone?

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  9. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Completely agree, FS. I refuse to accept Maul survived being completely bisected and falling however far, either. So not impressed by TCW cyborg half-Maul. Quite happily I act like he doesn't exist. I think Maul was wasted and mishandled badly in both but much stronger in TPM.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    His anger kept him alive? [face_not_talking]. That is so stupid. If they brought him back for AOTC (hopefully changed to make it more believable) then fine. But so many years later? Boo! Maul served his purpose in TPM even though that was pretty weak. Should have followed Savage around for longer.

11. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Indeed, Savage was more interesting to me as well.

12. Rogue Five

Rogue Five Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 11, 2014
    Ditto. Savage had the awesome tragic Frankenstein's monster thing going. He seemed set up as a nice replacement villain for Maul, until Maul turned into spider man and popped out of the grave. I wish Savage had remained the focus character because post Mauls return, he literally was just a background character in comparison. And then they killed him off.
    Poor guy just couldn't catch a break. : (

13. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Savage for me in TCW appeared to me a bit to eager to kill somebody - his awful speciality to finish the target-person with his large horns - instead of thinking about if this killing was really necessary or useful for putting up plans in order to gain ground or even pure survival. Maul always had to control the overspilling emotions of his brother/apprentice. But I have to admit- Savage had little time to grow up and to master the double-light-saber and the force-using-powers. And he always was loyal to his brother, a thing you rarely find in Sith-company. I appreciated that very much. Also, because now there was at least for a short time after a long period of oblivion a person, who really became a friend for Maul, after Sidious was so eager to wipe out every potential rival, who could drain away Maul's emotional dedication for his venered Lord-Master. Like he did with Savage in the end.

What fascinated me on his elder brother Maul was not only his really smart appearance in TPM, when the door of the thone-room in the Theed-palace was opening and you saw unfolding Maul unfolding his super long double-light-saber, not being seen the ends left and right of the doorframe - and I thought: Whow! He really belongs to a throne-room :)
    Someone has written here that Lucas wanted to show with the Maul-pics what can't be said. For me, it is just the combination of Mauls stunning fleshy-sensual appearance and elegance, his inner strenght, his aptitude and fastness, his sophisticatedness in combat - which looks so easily done and beautiful while being deadly - and his precision in executing plans with straightness. Maul is almost superior in control of his emotions made a tool to reach his goals which lets appear him that cool.:cool:

When you read the novels about him, for instance written by Rider Windham: "Star wars: The wrath of Darth Maul" there is the scene where he is humiliating the coward and pampered viceroy Nute Gunray in Amidalas private rooms, while chasing the latter out of a pompous bed forcing him to leave also the silky blanket Gunray was clinging to, in order to occupy the bed for himself. :cool: Never had loughed for a long time so much reading a book at this passage, never was chilled so much when I had to read the passage some pages earlier about Maul killing all of the staff and the trainees (including his almost girlfriend Kilinda) in Orsis academy, because of an order of his master Sidious.

And there is the novel by Michael Reaves: "Star wars: Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter." Where Maul is hacking at Coruscant the public Holo-net to get some information of the Vice-Viceroys hiding place there, not caring about the people queue behind him and getting angry because Maul needed a while till he finally got his infos. Yeah, I liked that - that's just me :cool:

I think the fascination of Maul is this twisted being together of good looking, absolute perfection, Maul's confidence of being something special, a kind of Chosen One and his dark aimes told him by his master to be good. When he fell divided into the shaft just due to a lack of his attention to Qui-Gons now abandoned and free light-sabre and his lure to play with an almost lost Obi-Wan Kenobi - that flaws made him still a bit more common and human a bit.

But Maul's coolness, his excellency, elevatedness, superiority and his licence to be bad - we all sometimes are secretly yearning for. ;)

Jesse Booth and Iron_lord like this.
  14. Sudooku

May 31, 2014

15. Jesse Booth

Jun 8, 2014

16. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Thank you for finally giving me an imagination of what a Maul really is. Before your post I thought it is just a hammer.

And I'm now aware of the subtle irony of Lucas to have dividing Maul divided.

17. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    The grave misfortune that is ironical, comical, satirical and inimitable is that if Lucas farts 15 years in the past, there is still a stone to turn over today. For good or ill. Based on evidence from 4 movies and counting, I predict that if Abrams strained his genius so greatly that he suffered 5 aneurisms, 2 slipped disks, a hernia, and a single small callus, his original visionary content would require three weeks six days and 23 hours of furrowed brow. Gone are the days of subtle irony.

18. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Ladies and gentlemen, discussion of spamming other forums is a no go. Do it again and you're gone.

19. Jesse Booth

Jun 8, 2014
    Oops. I'll have to look over the rules again. It won't happen again.

20. There_Are_Four_Lights

There_Are_Four_Lights Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 30, 2014
    Maul's saber-duels were the only thing I liked about Episode I. A wonderful and imaginative alternative to Darth Vader.

Jesse Booth and Sudooku like this.
  21. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Hi Alixen,

were is this written with the square buildings and the hot Mando chicks? That's pretty new for me.

At least in the Pannini-Comic: "The Sith-Hunter" when they free that rich Girl from Neem Plexus out of the Prison of Yellowblade, Maul tells his Brother Savage Opress: "A Sith can more than destroy." Then Savage replies: "Perhaps he shouldn't do that." What does Savage mean with this? Should a Sith destroy nothing? Or should he refrain from destroying nothing?

22. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I was just making light of one of the later TCW arcs. Sadly nothing new, my apologies if it seemed that way.

23. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Hi Alixen, Sorry, I don't understand, what you mean.[face_blush]

We need Darth Maul to stay alive. After Sidious is gone, who will take the place of the Sith-Lord then if not him?

Erkan12 likes this.
  24. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Maul is awesome, he's far better then Grievous and Dooku. He's one of my favorite PT villains along with Jango Fett and Sidious.

Erkan12 likes this.
  25. Darth Cyn

Darth Cyn Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 8, 2014
    Honestly, I didn't like Maul at all, at first, why, because he was a one dimensional character. In TPM, sure, he was a powerful warrior, he was strong, fast, agile, had an epic light saber, and even a good design, but these don't make a good character. In the end, he was bland and boring, nothing more than a cheap menace, who barely even has a line. I didn't warm up to him until the Clone Wars, when he was finally given a character.