main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul Lives!? (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Savage_Oppress, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    [face_peace] H_J.

Just having some fun with the recent trends, and you got the post of retribution. ;) :D

And now you want me to come up with theories? You know that might led to - gasp - a fanfic if I do.

2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I have my own theory how Maul could ?exist? without necessarily disrupting the validity of his death in The Phantom Menace. Perhaps, if what I stated about Mortis being the Netherworld of the Force is true, then maybe Maul, like Qui-Gon, could exist as a Force-Ghost on that ?planet?. Because Mortis is a unique world it may be so that it can only be accessed by either ?divine intervention? or through a powerful force object... thus the talisman. It may be so that the talisman will allow Savage to venture to Mortis and seek guidance from Maul. This could link the ?Savage? and ?Mortis? trilogies by having Obi-Wan, Anakin and Ahsoka being drawn towards Mortis because of their hunt for Savage, only to discover that there is another purpose to them venturing there. Such is the will of the force...

But then again I would be contempt with him simply living in exile as a shadow of his former self...

3. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    contempt? or content? [face_laugh]

The idea of Sith being able to remain in ghost form doesn't strike me as true to Lucas' universe. When Obi-Wan says to Vader: "If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine...", I always take it to imply that it's a feat only the Jedi are capable of. Especially because I feel like a selfless sacrifice would be one of the main ingredients for it to happen. But that's speculation.

From my point of view, the delicious irony of RotS is that the Sith seek immortality, but the Jedi find it.

4. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    I think in the EU, or at least in KotOR, some Sith remain in ghostly forms. But it's not true immortality, because they're twisted by all their anger and regret with their lives. In a sense, it's a compromise: Their spirits remain, but are not happy in any sense of the word.

I'm not sure if Maul is connected with the Mortis arc, but what the heck. The possibilities are always there. :p

EDIT: Oh yes, thought I'd bring up an alternate perspective on this. As Star Wars fans, one of the things in the series is a certain amount of certainty. Character dies, stays dead. Statement is given as such, etc. But I thought of the whole possibility of a Maul return from more of an 'ongoing fantasy story' angle. Do note, this is a rationalisation of the decision based on an alternative perspective, but I thought it interesting enough to share.

In various franchises of varying seriousness, sometimes a villain is written as having died, or appeared to have died, in what would seem to be a conclusive manner, but somehow returns with an explanation. Sometimes the writing gives the tone as "Yeah, he's definitely dead", sometimes they add "Or IS he?". This all takes place in chronological order from one story to the next.

So basically, if this was looked at like it was one of those types of fantasy stories (disclaimer: Star Wars has its own unique brands of awesomeness. Of course it's great to get the feel that we know these things. Star Wars needn't change itself too much into something that everyone else is doing. XD), Maul's return (or the allusion to his return) would seem like a...well, not expected, but acceptable return of a prominent foe.

To be sure, I see how this could all go horribly wrong. Just thought I'd share that, in another type of franchise, it might be different. [face_peace]

5. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Hahaha, yeah wrong word... I meant content.

You confuse what Obi-Wan means in A New Hope with what Qui-Gon possibly is here. If this is indeed the Netherworld of the Force as I am suggesting then they haven?t learnt the path to ?immortality? which is what Obi-Wan was talking about. As per Qui-Gon?s dialogue he can?t see ?real world? events and as such is not immortal but is rather living in ?heaven? removed from the outside galaxy... I am suggesting Darth Maul is in the same situation. In fact, in my concept, all beings who have died would dwell on Mortis...

What Obi-Wan means by being ?more powerful than you can possibly imagine? is that he will be able to guide Luke... that and the concept of the Netherworld are two different things.

6. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    This dude begs to differ:

[image=http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/74/l_165e4b93b9a242728a9199627d87aa64.jpg]

7. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Darth_Tarkus, is that EU?

If so, I was talking about Lucas' universe, the world of the movies.

I think you may be misunderstanding me.

I think the following things:

1. Qui-Gon is indeed still in this netherworld OR he isn't 'real', as in a vision or illusion of sorts
    2. Wherever he is, Qui-Gon probably hasn't learned the path to immortality, yet
    3. Qui Gon is the first to learn the secret of retaining his identity after death
    4. Obi-Wan is the first to learn the secret of being able to appear in the real world after death (perfecting Qui-Gon's technique)
    5. Becoming immortal (as a spirit) is a thing that only Jedi can do, not Sith
    6. Sith can only become 'un-dying' (as living beings), as per the secret of Darth Plagueis
    7. In ANH Obi-Wan is referring to becoming immortal (implying it's a Jedi only feat), so he can help Luke
    8. The Sith seek immortality in RotS, but the Jedi learn it by means of Qui-Gon

8. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Does anyone else think this planet could be Korriban? I honestly don't know what's in the outer rim and what isn't, but I imagine Korriban would be. Plus, that's been a site where spirits of dark siders have appeared, in KOTOR and Dark Empire. I could see Maul lingering there in some form.

Well, I'm one of those who think of it as one big universe, that the EU definitely improves the movies. By themselves, the movies are pretty good. With the EU added before, between and after, Star Wars is one of my favorite series of all time. In fact, some parts of the EU I actually like better than the movies.

Anyway, about Sith spirits, one trend I've noticed with them is that they're never truly "immortal", in the way Obi-Wan was. The closest spirit to having free will was Exar Kun, and he had been trapped for thousands of years. Every other spirit is tormented, and certainly wouldn't be satisfactory for Palpatine. The Jedi are the only ones to actually find life after death, which I also think is the way it should stay.

9. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Then it seems we are on the same page. My point is however, they don't need to be immortal to appear in the Netherworld of the Force. As such it is possible for Darth Maul to appear in the Netherworld if Savage can get there. Immortality, in Star Wars, means that you can commune with the 'real world'. If my Netherworld concept is correct then everyone who has died - even Sith - exist in the Netherworld consciously.However the Sith spirits should be in some type of constant pain for eternity, but never-the-less still spirits in the Netherworld able to consciously ?live?.

10. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010

Netherworld has to remain mystery or this arc is the worst SW-thing ever made- no matter how mystic the Mortis is it's not mystic enough to be the Netherworld itself (not to me anyway)- it may be pathway or window to the netherworld but not Netherworld itself..... since Qui-Gon is there just as a vision thingy it is obviously not netherworld where he would be just like living or something completely different......

11. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Yes, that could be a possibility. However, we're discussing this in the wrong thread. [face_whistling]

12. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    Haha yeah sorry, it's just that the character of Exar Kun is part of so many of my favorite examples of Star Wars lore, I can't resist. I have asked around here if his Force ghost was canon but I didn't really get an absolute answer.

13. CadBane

CadBane Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2009
    It's the Savage Opress (technically Nightsisters) trilogy not the Savage Oppress Trilogy.

I have no doubt Darth Maul is still alive in the same sense that Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Anakin were at the end of Return of the Jedi and now Qui-Gon Jinn from the Prequels.

14. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    I don't believe Maul is alive in physical form at all. I will believe that when they show him walking up to Opress or wheeling up to him in a sith-robo chair.

However, what if he was the one sith who discovered Plagieus' immortality secret? Someone mentioned this and the terrific irony involved.

15. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    Darth Plagueis never learned the secrets of immortality. Only how to preserve the lifes of others.

16. luvlucas-com

luvlucas-com Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 1, 2009
    what if maul had a twin,has anybody seen the film the prestige. now that would be a interesting twist.
    or it could be a clone of maul,maybe even sidious cloned him as a back up.

17. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Obviously there are very few ways they could handle this without making Star Wars look like a cheap soap opera.

Next Anakin will go amnesiac and Ahsoka will develop a brain tumor.

18. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    I never took Palpatine's line about it being ironic as literal. I'm pretty sure if Palpatine sneaked in and cut his head off he'd be pretty finished, regardless of what he knows, well excluding that Sith that lives in a jar but anyway.

19. SadPanda91

SadPanda91 Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2010
    [image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110124153110/starwars/images/thumb/8/86/DarthMaul-WOTM.jpg/501px-DarthMaul-WOTM.jpg]

Darth Maul

20. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Again, how do we know this is Maul? :confused:

Well, anyway, it would be cool to see Opress and whoever this may be come back to Dathomir and recruit more Force potential Zabraks to their cause. It would be just like what I thought the Phantom Menace was going to have before it came out; 3 or 4 Zabrak Dark Jedi against the Jedi Knights.

21. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    In fact, we don't.

He just looks exactly like him and it's been STRONGLY hinted it's him.

22. melkor834

Oct 24, 2009
    The episode guide confirms it is.

23. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Really? Wow. How the hell can they pull this off?

24. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    The Episode Guide confirms what? That Maul is still alive? Nope, it just hints at it.

25. melkor834

Oct 24, 2009
    No. It confirms that it is Maul in the crystal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.