main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul Lives!? (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Savage_Oppress, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    yeah- i was about to say that in some comment- what the h*ck really?:confused: - all brothers were allright when jedi left- what happened to them?:eek: I secretly hope that all this makes sense and nightbrothers were killed by Talzin or someone we just didn't see that - but looks like Savage is not saying anything right in the endscene- Ventress didn't betray him and nightbrothers are still there.... so yeah what that means?

Perhaps it means heads of the clans or something but still it's very confusing sentence for the viewers.....

2. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    While a holocron would make the most sense continuity wise, the way Moth Talzin describes him as being alive and in exile makes that a hard theory for me to accept (e.g. how would a holocron be exiled?) I mean if Maul were alive it would make sense for him to go into exile out of fear that he botched up Sidious' plan and forgiveness ("is not the way of the Dark Side")

And since the subject at hand was who would teach Savage to sharpen his skills so that he could stand up to the Jedi and Sith, that pretty much leaves only Maul. If it were some other brother trained in the force (Maul 3.0? :rolleyes:) I think that would be even more ridiculous than having Maul be alive, by whatever miracle.

In Dark Forces II, Maw had his body severed at the hip and used the Force to float about. While that would just be utterly ridiculous to see Maul doing the same thing, at least there is some kind of precedent which makes me all the more pessimistic about them bringing Maul back, as I too don't want to see it happen.

3. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Holocrons are teaching devices, so it would be perfect to supply Savage with training. And Holocrons are not merely technological devices, it is said that the Jedi who creates a holocron imbues it with a little bit of his own self. So Maul could still be somewhat alive, and in exile inside a Holocron. From a certain point of view.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You mean the gatekeeper? That's still just a "personality construct", to put it in Neuromancer terms. In most of the cases where holocrons have appeared, they have not been horcruxes, though there have been exceptions.

5. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Perhaps, but I don't mind the idea that there's a quasi-spiritual Force presence somewhere in there. [face_thinking]

Unless any of the especially realistic Holocron personalities were elaborate Force-induced hallucinations. [face_laugh]

6. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    No no no son of Maul please. That's worse than bringing him back. The "son of" thing is way out of hand on this show.

The Holocron idea is a perfect solution. Even though I still don't quite understand them. :)

7. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    They're all bad ideas. No matter how you slice it. But if Maul survived, then it would explain why he went into hiding all these years. Fearful of his master for failing him, and years of healing from a near fateful wound, which I'm sure needed more than some medical droid or bacta tank to expediate.

Nowhere in the movie does it show he fell into a melting pit. For all we know, he might have fell into an air conditioning system with some type of safety-net system built in. There are many ways to explain how and why he survived, and all would come off as rediculous, but the question remains. Did he survive, and will they show how this happened? It will be important to explain, or show in some way, how this came to be. If they don't, it will look even worse bringing him back.

Heh. Wouldn't it be funny if he was on Dagobah all these years? Maybe he discovered some type of herb or plant there years before he died that heals fatal wounds. Anything is possible. We're talking about an alien creature from Star Wars, right?

8. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    What point would Maul have had in making a holocron, what did he really know that was worth passing down to future generations. This is how to wield a double bladed lightsabre, it can't even say about Sith Tatoos now. Plus Maul was hardly trained enough to teach Savage. I'd rather they bring back Maul than have a holocron, if you're going to split the fanbase over Maul you might as well do it properly.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Going by what we know of Force sensing from the EU, especially in the case of master and apprentice, shouldn't Sidious have been aware that he survived?

10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    It's possible he does, and knowing that the Sith can hide themselves from other force wielders, it's also possible Sidious doesn't know where he is.

11. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    Even if it were just a holocron? I figured that would satisfy even the hard-to-please since he'd in no way still be alive and I don't see a reason why he couldn't have made one. [face_thinking]

12. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    And I don't see a reason why he would have made one.

He was Sidious' apprentice. What was there to teach for him? And why would he leave anything like that behind? Just some piece of cool Sith knowledge for passers-by to chance upon? I mean, he's a Sith. They learn from the one master, not from hidden holocrons.

(Although the EU will probably think otherwise. [face_laugh])

It's not like he was Naga Sadow or anything of the sort. All this guy knew was how to twirl a staff! :p

13. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    I guess I should've known better than to think there'd be a way to please everyone!

14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I would prefer it if Maul were just left out completely, but if he has to make an appearance the holocron idea is the least offensive idea I've heard. But Humble Jedi is right, it's silly to even consider Maul making a holocron. Sith holocrons are devices of wisdom and ancient Sith secrets, and Maul possesses neither of those.

But I have a very strong feeling it won't just be a holocron or some other trick, he's just back. That's all there is to it, he's alive and well, just deal with it.

15. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Haha well we don't know that for sure yet.

Lifted from another thread:

Are there problems I'm missing with this one too?

16. ElevationNation

ElevationNation Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2011
    It was certainly a very intriguing ending.

I think it has to be another brother or a ghost or something. It would be awesome if it was Maul, but I just can't say GL going back on EVERYTHING he has said for like the last 11 years about Maul's fate.

Maybe we'll find out the entire PT was actually just a dream sequence by Obi Wan, or a kid holding a snow globe.

17. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Such a simple conclusion (And i am accused of making too much conclusions[face_not_talking] ) What we can see in the movies then?- Maul is damn good what comes to twirling staff and he dies- that's all- he tracks down jedi on Tatooine attacks and then goes to Naboo and attacks again and dies.... we cannot really say much about his nature- his character or his knowledge- he could've been damn wise sith lord thinking of destroying his master and he could have had great plans to do so - we have absolutely no information of him, his motives, background or real self.

Only lines he has are "At last we will reveal ourselves to the jedi- at last we'll have revenge!" and "Yes my lord" Those lines could have been said by Dooku or Vader as well and we knew how much they plotted against Sidious- so what about Maul- conclusion he is just a senseless grunt who serves sidious and kills people -is very simple- we cannot judge his character- Eu naturally did this conclusion and left his character to be mysterious Sidious' own killer- still his backstory was left to be very mysterious......

Now TCW brought up his backstory so you cannot judge Maul yet- you haven't seen all;)

18. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    let me put it this way - Based upon what we know, the idea of Maul leaving behind a holocron seems very contrived. If they're going to need to explain more about him to justify it, it will only seem even more contrived.

19. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Well presumably if it is a holocron Darth Maul will have something to say about its existence... Even it were just one line.

20. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    It was a very bad holocron, and wasn't allowed to join in all the reindeer games. That explains the exile. Still, i don't see why Maul would have made one in the first place. It'd be the least offensive idea but it'd still make no sense.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It's a con man pretending to be Maul, like Flim pretending to be Thrawn in HOT.

22. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I disagree- Maul could've done anything i don't see it as contrived at all..... i don't still believe in that theory- holocrons are not "in exile":p

23. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Well if they go the route of keeping his death in Ep. I I agree that him having made a holocron prior to that without some sort of explanation given would be pretty silly. People are right to point out that those who have made holocrons have been the most powerful and revolutionary Force-users ever, a Sith apprentice would have no conventional reason to make one. Everything he knows about the nature of the Dark Side he learned from Darth Sidious, as far as we know.

24. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    I agree that Maul making a holocron is a bit contrived. But it pales in comparison to how contrived it would be to bring him back alive.

25. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I posted my initial thoughts on the idea of Darth Maul returning alive last Friday evening on the Witches of the Mist episode discussion topic, and I'll simply copy and paste my thoughts from then...

Finally, Obi-Wan Kenobi is a beloved character of mine, and obviously an A-level, fundamental one to the Saga as a whole. A man who played a major role in the fate of the GFFA. It was Kenobi's defeat of a certain Sith Lord (as a lone Padawan just witness to the slaughter of his mentor) that ensured his ascendancy to the rank of Jedi Knight. The death of Darth Maul at the hands of Obi-Wan Kenobi serves an important function to the saga. No amount of fanboy gnashing-of-teeth over the loss of a nice character design should ever render this function moot. If Darth Maul is set to return to our galaxy, let us hope to the Force that it's as some sort of a guiding spirit only. Physical resurrection should be off the table. If, for some potentially absurd reason, the writers feel that Maul absolutely must return to physical life, he'd better at least meet his final end at the hands of Obi-Wan (and Obi-Wan alone). In spite of my reservations though, I remain hopeful. Bearing in mind our recent past, I recall the sneak-peek of Cad Bane wielding a lightsaber had myself and a number of others fearing the worst, but the bounty hunter-as-duelist was dispatched of with ease, thus avoiding a potential disaster. I am cautiously excited to see where this newest twist takes us.

The best means of return for Maul may lie in the form of a Sith holocron, I agree. However, given a solid enough premise, I think I'll be able to stomach anything short of physical resurrection. True that returning from a death the likes of Maul's in TPM is frankly preposterous enough, but again, I call one's attention to the statement written in bold type above. The biggest reason to me that Maul should stay dead is simply because of what Maul's defeat means to Obi-Wan Kenobi's story in particular, and to the saga at large.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.