main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Maul (Marvel) #1-5 & Probe Droid Problem (5/5 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by starocean90, Nov 14, 2016.

1. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    It's possible that in Nu-canon, Sith always had a thing for twos. One master, one apprentice, only difference back then there were thousands of masters and apprentices who killed each other and stuff. Maybe Bane was the first to have the brainwave that JUST two would work better?

2. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    Yes, and the Temple could have been designed to be a trial precisely for that - In order to gain acces to the "unlimited power" holocron and thus the superweapon itself, you would have to trust your Sith partner.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  3. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I'd be cautious since that Bane's Sith Code though, that does not work if there was 1,000 Sith Lords and likely various assorted minions, in a booming culture and civilization on Malachor and abroad. One would have to suspect that particular pyramid was rebuilt or redesigned accordingly, during the Rule of Two by a Sith Lord following the Rule of Two.

4. ManWithoutAStar

Mar 19, 2017
    That brings up another question. Why redesign the temple and not tamper with the holocron? From what has been shown, the holocron contains presence of the female Sith who built the temple thousandS of years ago. If someone during the Rule of Two redesigned the temple, wouldn't they take the holocron or tamper with it in some way?

5. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Maybe the weapon was made just for the two Sith Lords that created it, they had a good working relationship, thats really the only sense of it if following the opinions of Rebel Recon that do not always jive with their own fictional facts and end product for a variety of reasons.

If the weapon was used, which it was from what they presented in canon it was( temple's weapon misfired and petrified everyone on the planet). Then who separated the Holocron from the arming device after everyone was killed? Why wasnt the pyramid damaged after the misfire, if it was who repaired it ? It seemed like in pristine working condition after that event, and after what thousands of years later . Why would pulling out the Holocron destroy the pyramid now during Rebels? Why didnt the Jedi destroy the pyramid after the great battle or come back years later to make sure such a weapon was destroyed? It laid dormant after this big deluge apparently known only to the Sith(and apparently Yoda by Rebels - did he know of it before? that raises questions). Someone(maybe the inventor?) had to survive the devastation and cataclysmic event and have brought the Holocron back to the crypt and set up for whoever was worthy enough to claim it.

Bane is unique for the Rule of Two, the whole legacy of the Sith and of the prophecy stuff is based around it. For his Rule to be around a thousand or thousands of years before him, it completely anachronistic. Maybe some other Sith come up with a proto-rule two rule, that does not seem likely and it would make Bane's legacy convoluted. And if that was the case, why not just state that. The pyramid is designed as a trial of some sort for precisely the Rule of Two, or so the producers say. By the time of Rebels where they can still betray eachother even after the device was finally armed. Which brings it back to , why even bother with two, why not just do it yourself. How did they even build that thing, its doubtful they built with telekinesis like in X-Men or whatever. That pyramid was very complicated and took a great deal of engineering and labor of some kind. The Holocron appeared to have no loyalty to any one person, and pulling the holocron out causes an almost atomic-like explosion as it sets the weapon on itself. Or maybe the weapon was too old to work properly, but the episode clearly shows its the holocron being removed that causes the self destruct. Which kinda makes Ezra and Kanan removing it by force very dumb, couldnt Ezra just command it to power down. Its like it had a life of its own no matter what to me, via the Sith Lady's presence inside the Holocron.

Maul knew his way around the pyramid, did he enter it prior? This place had a special meaning for Maul we learn, unlike on rebels it seems random and place where he hid out. It had a very special significance and housed a massive kyber crystal and weapon.

6. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I took Maul saying that only two could open it just being him spouting Banite propaganda and trying to make Ezra be his apprentice (and maybe he wasn't powerful enough to open it himself), not that it was designed that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MandaloreRex2015 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  7. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Jedi have a "rule of two" as well. "An apprentice you have, Qui-Gon. Impossible to take a second," says Yoda. "The Code forbids it," per Mace Windu. As the Sith are an offshoot of the Jedi, it makes sense that some traditions would carry over. The line of Darth Bane simply takes this to an extreme.

8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Question. I think this comic is a good place to ask this.

The wookipedia said the Sith were formed 6000 years before the Clone Wars. What is the actual source for this information?

9. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

I believe it is Star Wars issue #9 which talks about the hundred year darkness.

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

11. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

I'm not sure exactly if it specifically said 6,000 years myself. I just know that that issue is where they talk about the hundred year darkness and the beginning of the Sith.

12. bdh1138

bdh1138 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 24, 2015
    The citation on Wookieepedia says that figure is from Tarkin, thought I don't have a copy handy to dig up the exact reference.

13. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Technically the hundred year darkness should have happened prior to that as that note on wook doesn't necessarily say anything about the creation of the Sith but just when they constructed the Sith shrine on Corruscant.

I don't believe the comics give an exact date for when it happened just that they formed thousands of years ago. Probably will end up being roughly around the same time period though once they get around to telling those stories.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  14. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    In Tarkin, we're told that the Jedi built their temple over a Sith shrine that had been there for 1,000 years. Later in the book, we're told that "save for Sidious, no sentient being in close to five thousand years had set foot in the shrine." That means that, by 14 BBY, the Sith are at least 6,000 years old.

15. ManWithoutAStar

Mar 19, 2017
    The weapon was made by the Sith Lady, that has been confirmed by Filoni. However, you raise some very good points, ones that I did not consider prior :)
    But, there is one more idea I had about this, what if Bane did not create his rule from scratch, but utilized and refined concept from the ancient times? Like, what if the Sith Lady and her followers had a similar concept, where Master/Apprentice dynamic created a stronger connection to the Dark Side? Kind of like in the legends, where Bane is inspired by Revan's philosophy and builds the Rule of Two based on his notes.

16. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Yeah, I know the creator is listed as a female. Lord or Lady can be used for a female Sith( its like actor/actress), least in the EU, I was thinking off that that.

The Maulachor scenes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Curious that they the Jedi that attach him have glowing red eyes, or they are Sith( or both), back before they used red colored lightsabers or just demonized Jedi apparitions caused by the Force visions/hallucinations?!

Revanfan1 and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  17. Tsago

Tsago Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 24, 2017
    The question remains: why didn't Sidious take the holocron? The removal of the holocron starts the transformation of the temple into a battle station. That's why the holocron must stay where it is. Also the access to the holocron chamber may be possible only for the sith, because the gate machanism is susceptible only to the dark side of the Force. So the holocron was safe in its place and only Sidious could take it when needed.

Maul thought that the jedi were evil so in his mind they had that evil look.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  18. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    No, the fact that two were needed to grab the Holocron is well supported by the episode itself, what is strange is the out-of-universe idea that it was implemented that way to make sure that no other Sith could reach it.

19. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    I still don't understand how that tracks. The one thousand years that the Jedi Temple stood over the shrine is part of the five thousand years no sentient being had set foot inside, not in addition to.

20. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    That's assuming the Sith never set foot in the shrine anymore after they built it. But you're right, we're making assumptions either way.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  21. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    That whole sequence is strange. The existence of the shrine itself was to be established in The Clone Wars, yet the details about it are much more in tune with Legends' version of events than with Lucas'. Lucas generally seemed to prefer a shorter Sith history, about a thousand years between their founding and their perceived extinction, as established in the novelization of The Phantom Menace. Though who knows if he changed his mind later on, or if that timeline was Terry Brooks' extrapolation, or if the Lucasfilm Story Group has decided to go a different direction since then.

22. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    5,000 years/6,000 years that's a hell of a lot of history to possibly delve into one day, either way :)

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  23. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    So with those crossguards appearing in the vision, I wonder if the design predates the tradional blade or is merely a style of lightsaber that coexisted with its normal counterpart before falling out of use. As it was in Legends, the traditional style should predate Banes Sith. I hope they don't make the classic style and invention after the era of many Sith. I still want to see the retro lightsaber return to canon as well.

24. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    You sound like those are a big deal, but it was already revealed in Rebels (the TV show) that combatants in that battle used the crossguard lightsabers.

I hate the way the artist draws women of 20-something years. Aurra Sing as some sort of apprentice/junior worker to Cad Bane would work better if she didn't look so doe-eyed. And Eldra Kaitis has exactly the same problem, with the weird pose to exacerbate it.

I love what they're doing with Maul's probe droids though. They really show their usefulness here!

25. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Notably it looks like several green and blue lightsabers are clashing together. And the complete absence of red blades from the vision beyond Mauls. Could be nothing, but maybe the battle was set before the Sith were divided enough from the Jedi to have their own look, and lightsabers?[face_thinking]