main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Maul (Marvel) #1-5 & Probe Droid Problem (5/5 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by starocean90, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    The bar in that preview looks a lot like the bar from the Showdown on the Smugglers Moon arc from the main Star Wars ongoing series (the one which Luke entered and where he naively asked if someone could help him to get to the Jedi Temple on Coruscant). It even has a Zabrak bartender who looks like a younger version of the Zabrak bartender from Showdown on the Smugglers Moon. I really suspect it is the same bar and the same bartender.

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Good eye and memory:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Luke got attacked in the same catina by thugs and ruffians by command of that bar tender cause of his lightsaber. There is no such thing as coincidences, all is as the Force wills it I suppose,lol.

Vialco, Chris_Fives and Darth_Voider like this.
  3. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I don't think that's the same bartender. Different tattoos and different horns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    But it matches the boy next to the bartender during Maul's timeline. Grown up.

5. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Yeah, that's more plausible. The bartender in Showdown on the Smugglers Moon said it was the cantina of his father.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Heh, neat little connection. Plus,
    the Smuggler's Moon would be a natural haunt for the likes of Aurra and Cad.

7. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    That is pretty sweet Maul got his own book. Filoniverse did a great job bringing Maul back to the for front.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Not a bad first issue. I liked Sidious laying the law down on Maul as well as a chance to see the Sith Infiltrator in battle (which we never really got to see, shy a Battle For Naboo bonus stage). Plus, Nym's species! Yay! And they're a pirate! Racial stereotype! ;).

I'm not a fan of Rathtars- they just have a really uninteresting design, so Maul fighting them didn't do much for me but I like the connecting across of trilogies in that manner. There was a lovely near-full page shot in silhouette, however, that had an almost storybook-like quality to it.

As for this upcoming cover...

[​IMG]

That thing looks like a cross between Man-Thing and Skippy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(or maybe the fried version at least...)

[​IMG]

Erkan12 likes this.
  9. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    I just noticed that the second issue of this comes only four days or something after twin suns of rebels comes out. It's really nice to see all this Maul expansion.

10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    #2 is out!

Erkan12 likes this.
  11. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Holy mother of references, so many easter eggs, tie-ins and cameos
    *We get a flashback of Darth Sidious and Maul's trip to Malachor
    *At the auction we get to see The Pykes, Black Sun, Grakkus the Hutt, The Trandoshans from the TCW Chewbacca episodes, the guys who smuggled tea on Mandalore, Hondo and his gang.
    *Aurra Sing and Cad Bane (and two new characters) were hired by Maul

12. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Great issue once again
    I wasn't too excited about Cad Bane and Aurra Sing, even when we learned that they would appear a few months back. In fact, I'm more curious about Vorhdeilo and Tek-Tek. There were several cameos in this issue, including Grakus the Hutt, possibly Hondo and his pirates (not entirely sure, but there is a Weequay in the background that looks like him, and there is a flying saucer-like ship around the space station too...), several other gangs from TCW and MALACHOR!!! Yes, there is an awesome flashback of Sidious and Maul visiting Malachor! There was a mention that there are other Jedi on the station looking for the kidnapped padawan, so that should be interesting in the following issues.

13. KikReask

KikReask Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2016
    I think I saw a ship of the same model as the Outrider in that big spaceship splash panel too, nice touch. :)

14. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I just wanna know why Aurra is wearing blue instead of her classic red jumpsuit?

15. NCISliar

NCISliar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    spicer likes this.
  16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

In Legacy of the Force she was also stated to be wearing a blue jumpsuit. Interesting.

Erkan12 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  17. Tsago

Tsago Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 24, 2017
    Interesting why didn't Sidious take the holocron from Malachor...

18. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017

It was stated that you need two to open the temple. For that you need to trust each other and help each other along the way, something the Sith are not very good at with their philosophy. They would murder each other instead of helping them. That's the reason why Maul opens it - Ezra is compassionate and trusting. Maul uses that and together they conquer the traps laid by the ancient Sith who built the temple.

Erkan12 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  19. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    Great issue.
    So now we know what Maul wants revenge for. The massacre of the Sith at Malachor. Is Malachor the new Ruusan? Maybe the turning point in the war that culminates in the retaking of Coruscant and refounding of the Republic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erkan12 likes this.
  20. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    Indeed a great Issue!

Way better than the first one (The first one was good but kinda boring). Loved all the Comic/TCW/Rebels connections. I think the whole Malachor thing could be very cool in the future!

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  21. Tsago

Tsago Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 24, 2017
    No, this explanation isn’t working. The temple was designed specifically for the rule of two, to be opened by two darksiders. The Jedi are too weak to be able to lift the stone gates. And Ezra had to use the dark side of the Force to do so. Maybe the little Maul wasn’t strong enough either when he was there with his master at the first time...

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  22. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Maul secured
    some Bounty Hunters to have his back, since he can't come out in the open as a Force wielder let alone a Sith as it would get straight back to Sidious who would punish him. He also exercises great restraint in not drawing his lightsaber at one point, so this is something not limited to a Jedi. Maul quickly beats up the assorted goons but the Quarren Dirty Calgriz shoots ink in Maul's eyes and face that momentary distracts and blinds him during the hand to hand brawl. Maul uses the Force to throw the knife immediately to Calgriz. Maul does not need eyes to see, so this is not a Jedi only thing. Maul's Bounty Hunters quickly eliminate the rest of the thugs before Maul takes them all out when he rises to his feet.

Maul meditates in private(again this is not a Jedi only thing). Maul goes into his memories and training, which bring him to Malachor, along side his master. In this meditation of the past, its there is nothing about a holocron. Its where Sidious indoctrinates Maul in his version of history, how he shaped him into a weapon of revenge. Sidious asks Maul if he knew what place he was, Maul answered yes, he seen it in his dreams. So Maul dreamt of Malachor before ever being there. Sidious gives him a history lesson of the dead world and how the treacherous Jedi stuck a terrible blow against the Sith. Sidious makes Maul believe all the Sith wanted to do was be free, their liberty was stolen by the Jedi. It seems Sidious' version of events is that Sith were religious persecuted for their beliefs and their freedom was stolen, they were all murdered by the Jedi.

Sidious uses the Force to have Maul breath in the ash of the dead bodies, in it Maul sees the [Sith]empire that came before, he tells Maul to let the hate fill him. Maul uses the "Far above, far below, we don't don't know where well fall. Far above, far below, what was once great is rendered small" Its mantra Maul was taight to help him focus on his hate and his anger, to help him endure, as the Sith had endured the treachery and untold pain at the hands of the Jedi. So that mantra was no wacky ramblings from Maul on TCW as they wanted some to believe, it was instead how he focused all his hate and anger to get past all the pain and suffering, to make him stronger and more powerful.

Malachor is certainly not dead, its alive in the Force, the Dark Side. Maul has visions of all the Jedi and Sith, he fights apparitions of the dead Jedi some armed with crossguard lightsabers, he suffers all the blows and wounds that those long dead Sith had once suffered, he felt the burn of a thousand cuts, the deaths of a thousand Sith, and they were made stronger..in him, they were. The Sith would have their revenge, he would would have his revenge.

Grakkus the Hutt does appear, seems he uses here some kinda early versions of Magnaguards. Hondo is present in the background, so yeah some familiar faces.

23. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    What I don't get is how the temple could have been designed specifically for the Rule of Two when the Sith Order very obviously wasn't limited to two people at the time... Evidence suggests that many Sith fought in the Scourge of Malachor.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  24. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Maybe Malachor will make another appearance in another issue and further explore it. But it seems contradictory as the period is set during the rule of the many, not the rule of two of Bane. It does seem strange why multiple Sith Lords could not just force their way in it, or have soldiers drill it and then use rocketpacks or Sith why Sith Lords could not levitate themselves or whatever. One would have the suspect their was booby-traps involved, and some kinda self awareness to the temple even before it was "activated" by the holocron which does not seem likely. But it remains still unclear why Sidious would leave the pyramid to posterity if he knew for a fact their was superweapon that rivaled or eclipsed his Death Star projects. He mines other worlds for their kybers and secrets but leaves Malachor?! Maul's first plan apparently for his honorable avenge although suicidal end was activating the temple and taking out all his enemies for his "end-game" - when this did not go all accordingly, he altered his plan to aiding Ezra and eventually just ending his run against an enemy he did not apparently truly hate as he let on. Seems a lot more going on under the surface.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  25. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    It is the explanation that I believe Filoni said himself. It was either in the Rebels Recon video or during the premiere of TotA. There is also an article here where the part is mentioned as well:
    "Two must lift these stones, no more, no less," he says, echoing the Sith creed.
    Funnily enough, this trial requires a large amount of trust between two beings and this is a quality that the backstabbing Sith sorely lack. Clearly, it was designed to mess with them in a big way. In the impressionable young Ezra, Old Master has found a way to subvert this danger.-

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...2-ep-19-twilight-apprentice-article-1.2582536
    I will look for the video later and when I find it I shall post it here.

I also found this old reddit thread (dont kill me :D), where they talk about this issue. It mentions Pablo commenting this issue specifically - The Sith relied the dynamic of two Sith working together long before Bane's Rule of Two.

The mentioned thread is here. https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsrebels/comments/55ayqa/a_question_i_have_about_the_malachor_temple/

SilentGuy66 likes this.