main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Darth Maul or Count Dooku?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Master Mini 907, Dec 13, 2013.

?

Darth Maul Or Count Dooku

1. Darth Maul

43.3%
  2. Count Dooku

56.7%
  1. Master Mini 907

Master Mini 907 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2013
    Who's better? Including the events from the Clone Wars, EU and the films.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Darth Maul all the way for me!!!!

3. skyrimcat9416

skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2013
    Darth Maul.

4. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    I feel like Dooku was really underused and underdeveloped. Could have been a brilliant character but it was all squandered.

5. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    Count Dooku:

- he's played by Christopher Lee (nuff said)

- had a character (old Jedi Master, Qui-Gon's mentor)

- used force lightning

- defeated Kenobi with ease, twice

6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Let's do a comparison :p

Darth Maul
    - Double-bladed lightsaber
    - Killed Liam Neeson
    - Had maybe 10-15 minutes of screentime yet was the most popular character in the Prequels
    - Stayed alive even after being bisected
    - Is a straight-up beast

Count Dooku
    - Is played by Christopher Lee
    - Can compete with Mace Windu and Yoda
    - Didn't lose to Obi-Wan Kenobi

Dooku has the 3 most important points on his side. Gotta go with Dooku here, even though they are both awesome.

7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I can never decide.

In terms of the saga's story, both played seemingly minor, but actually very important roles in the long run. Maul killing Qui-Gon left only Obi-Wan to train Anakin, and I'm sure that, had Qui-Gon survived, Anakin would not have been as easily tempted by the dark side. He was in many ways a father figure that Anakin longed for, and seeing as Obi-Wan was more of a brother figure, of course we all know which secret Sith Lord Anakin found as a replacement "father"

Dooku however, was instrumental in beginning the Clone Wars and ordering the clone army.Without them, Order 66 and Operation Knightfall would never have been possible, let alone allowing Palpatine to control a war from two sides.

So in short, both play equally important roles in my opinion, and for this reason alone I'm struggling to decide. If I gave an answer now, and you asked me again in an hour, I may have changed my mind...

CoolyFett and zompusbite like this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  9. Master Mini 907

Nov 3, 2013
    Remember to actually vote

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Darth Maul even though Dooku is played by Saruman :p

Grievousdude and Darkslayer like this.
  11. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Saruma-err, Christopher Lee (Darn you Legolas Skywalker!) is a damn good actor, but I went with Darth Maul because he had that monster-like presence to his character akin to that of Darth Vader from the OT. Not to mention, he was the first film attempt at a villain other than the Vader/Sidious combo, and he didn't disappoint imo. Really wish he'd have been involved with the rest of the PT--a sentiment shared by Lucas--but his inclusion in TCW (and beyond??) makes up for it.

12. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    For me it's Maul and it's not even close. I mean, Christopher Lee is a bad ass and I like him a lot, but when you are watching Maul in TPM, one word comes to mind: Awesome! He only says a few words in the entire movie, but just him being there is enough. If you look at the scene where we first see him, as a hologram, standing behing Sidious with his arms crossed, and then the close up on his face, he is a commanding figure. The duel between him and Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon is the second best duel in the saga, second only to the Obi-Wan/Anakin duel in ROTS. It's visually a real treat, due in large part to Maul. You can't help but think, "gosh this guy can really move" when you watch him. Plus everyone knows they went out and got the double-bladed lightsaber after they saw Maul using it in the movie. Don't lie, you know you did! :)
    In regards to Dooku though, something that has always bugged me is how lame the AOTC duel was up until Yoda came into it. Obi-Wan can beat Maul and Anakin in the other films, where the speed of the fight is MUCH quicker, and the complexity of the moves is MUCH more difficult, and yet he somehow can't handle Dooku? There was nothing complex or difficult with Dooku. He just stands there, crossing blades with him a couple times, and Obi-Wan is acting like he's having such a hard time. It makes no sense to me.

13. Master Mini 907

Nov 3, 2013
    Dooku uses mind games and deceit to beat Obi-Wan

CoolyFett likes this.
  14. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Maul was unique to the Phantom Menace, and I liked that. While some characters almost had too much backstory in the prequels, they got it right with Maul; less is more.

His motivations are simple, but it's easy to see why he's so motivated at the same time; you can almost see the hate radiating out of him. Both equally frightening as he is threatening, my vote goes to Maul.

Darkslayer and Darth Raiden like this.
  15. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    Never got the Maul hype (same as Bobba Fett hype on the original trilogy, two very overrated characters that got loved only because they look cool). Yes, he had a strange face and did some stupid (cool) moves but that was it. If we go to his backstory it isn't that interesting. Palps got him in order to make a good assasin, heck, he wasn't even a Sith. Never liked him on the cartoon, it was very cheapish how they made him alive and it wasn't believable even for Star Wars EU standards.

Dooku on the other side was pretty great. He was played by Christoper Lee for a start. He was the mentor of Qui Gon. Defeated Master Kenobi and the young Skywalker in AOTC. Then easily defeated Kenobi again. He was one of the few Jedi/Sith who was a good match for Yoda/Dooku (does anyone believe that Maul could have done something against those 2 Jedi Masters). In the end he was defeated by an angry Skywalker (which isn't a big shame to be fair) and he saw that was manipulated all the time and was only a pawn (well, maybe a bishop) on Palps grand scheme. But in the end, everybody was manipulated by Palps, that was his greatest strngth.

It isn't even a context for me, Dooku easily wins in any way. Stronger, smarter, played by a better actor, a better backstory and a bigger influence.

16. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Maul was a fantastic face for the Sith (a chess piece, if you will) at that stage in the game, but Dooku was an absolutely fascinating character and one of my favorites in all of Star Wars. I could go on and on and on about why I love him.

...I accidentally clicked Darth Maul in the poll :/

17. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Count Dooku. I like Maul, but I found him too flashy and in-your-face for my tastes. I prefer the more subtle villainy of Dooku.

ConservativeJedi321 and Sudooku like this.
  18. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    Maul is awesome, but Dooku was utilized better, IMO.

CoolyFett and Darth Raiden like this.
  19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I love Dooku's mannerisms so Dooku it is.

20. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    Dooku feels to fit into the jedi/sith world a lot better to me. Maul really kinda felt a little over-the-top freak show-esque. Maul's character was expanded to something more than just a juggalo-inspired enforcer (thanks to clone wars), but I still cant take him as serious as Dooku.

CoolyFett likes this.
  21. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    Maul all the way. Far more intimidating and badass looking.

22. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Maul's introduction in Duel of the Fates is one of the most badass entrances ever. That said, Dooku I feel is a much more interesting character, being a Jedi Master fallen from grace who is now being manipulated by Palpatine.

23. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Maul

Christopher Lee is great but He was not given much to do even when compared to Maul. They both get two fights and Maul doesn't negotiate with Gunray he just scare the crap out of him. If they had not killed Maul and built him up over 2.5 films the PT would have benefitted and maybe made villain on a Vader type scale.

Barbecue17 likes this.
  24. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Dooku, I always like the guys who have more sophistication and elegance to straight up power.

25. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Darth Maul vs death? Or, Darth Tyranus vs death? Darth Plagueis vs death, even?

Maul wins.

Bazinga'd and Darkslayer like this.