main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter" by Michael Reaves [Del Rey, 2001]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Mar 1, 2003.

?

"Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter" by Michael Reaves [Del Rey, 2001]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

50.0%
  2. 9

23.8%
  3. 8

12.4%
  4. 7

6.9%
  5. 6 (Average)

1.5%
  6. 5 (Average)

2.0%
  7. 4

0.5%
  8. 3

1.0%
  9. 2

0.5%
  10. 1 (Poor)

1.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starkiller63

starkiller63 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2005
    10/10

Darth Maul made TPM in my opinion. I saw this book at the store and I jumped on it. I read it in two sittings.

2. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    I did 9 but so close to 10. wow the ending made me so mad. If tht guy just delivered i five or lorn had some more shots left or he found a better senator and not palpie. Auggggghhhhhhhhhhhh! But amaizng book!

3. Master_EdgeCrusher

Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 21, 2005
    This book captivated me all the way through to the end. I wish there was a trilogy to the shadow hunter!!!!! I wanted to know more about Maul!!!

4. Argenta

Argenta Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    It's been a while since I read this one, but I'll give it a seven....point five. I loved Darsha and Lorn, and the fact that we know ultimately the bad guys MUST win gives it a ominous dark atmosphere. Poor brave, doomed people.

I recall a few details that bugged...Maul is referred to a few times as "tall" when his TPM appearances show that that isn't the case. Also, he seemed to have something of an obsession with beheading his enemies, as shown in his thought processes. It came over a bit Sleepy Hollow at times :)

Great read though.

5. Vader_The_Pimp6916

Vader_The_Pimp6916 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2005
    This was a good book, however not the best. I liked certain parts (the ending in particular) and the part with Maul's training droids. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good read. 7/10

6. emperorjones

emperorjones Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2006
    One of the Best Star Wars novels I ever read. The author got Darth Maul right. He was a wrecking machine, pure and simple. Loved that. I wished that this could've been onscreen in some fashion. Perhaps a nice little TV or STV miniseries.

Also liked Darsha Assant-wished we could see more of her, and Lorn Pavan was cool too. As was his droid companion-I-5.

Great, fun, fast read.

7. Daaron_Fahl

Daaron_Fahl Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2006
    10/10

I loved this book. Definately my favorite of the Prequel books. I was on a road trip and picked up the book just for something to do. I had no idea it was going to be such an awesome book. By the end of it I was getting really attached to the characters. Lorn Pavan and Darsha Assant were awesome....and however odd it sounds *spoiler*so were their deaths. Lorn didn't have a 'blaze of glory' type of death, but he met it well, which was just as good, IMHO. Darsha's was just cool, especially from Darth Maul's opinion...slowly losing his respect for her as they fought, and then having it all come back a lot of times over at her death. That was awesome. It has made Darth Maul into my favorite Sith, too.

Yeah, the book was really cool, and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants an interesting and well-worth-it way of spending their time.

8. 1_4_Jedi

1_4_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2006
    8/10

I really enjoyed this book, especially since it all happened right under the noses of the Jedi council. I thought that helped sell the concept that the Dark side was rising and the Sith can and do operate as they see fit with little worry that the Jedi will discover them before the appropriate time.
    Of course, I also thought Darsha was awesome but unfortunately her fate was obvioulsy sealed once it was clear that Maul was a Sith. It made me wonder how many other covert missions the Sith may have undertaken over the centuries that may have resulted in Jedi casualties. Which brings me to my major gripe with this title, the fact that the Jedi didn't seem too alarmed at the loss of a Padawan and her Master during such a routine assignment. Even if they did not percieve a greater treachery at work through the Force, you'd think that they would still have to wonder if there wasn't something more sinister going on. Again, this illustrates the role arrogance and complacency were to play in the downfall of the old order and led up to the prequels very well.

9. Darth_gloom

Darth_gloom Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2005
    Intense, awesome. One of my favorite Star Wars novels; the bad guy wins, which is interesting. 7 of 10.

10. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    5. Not that bad a book, but the ending. Ok, it was dictated by the plot, but I like endings that are not totally bleak.

11. Hoojib_Wrangler

Hoojib_Wrangler Jedi Knight

Jul 18, 2006

It had the courage to be a far darker book than we usually get in the EU line. I'd love to see more Darth Maul books, or any 'Darth' books at all--no more Vader, thank you, but a Darth Talon novel would be much appreciated on my shelves.

12. JAWA64

JAWA64 Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 20, 2006
    10/10 for me. I actually sincerely thought Lorn and Darsha might win. And the return of I-5 made the medstar series for me.

13. Obilieveinme

Obilieveinme Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    This has to be the fastest moving of ANY Star Wars Novel. I thought I was in an easy reader program. It didn't bother with long self-serving descriptions and prose. It didn't linger on Maul too long and by golly these were the most interesting Jedi/Padawans that I have read along with. I really cared. Nice, Nice stuff. 9.5 out of 10. NO book is perfect.

I will say I need a whole book on Palps and Sids...he is so interesting.

14. Fettist

Fettist Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2006

Darth Maul Rules!

15. jedikitty19

jedikitty19 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 23, 2006
    I thought it was okay. It wasnt the best novel I have read in the Prequal series. The novel really made Darth Maul a bad guy.

16. UltimateMandalore

UltimateMandalore Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 2, 2006
    I was quite surprised how good this was. I was in no hurry to read this but now I am glad I did.
    My Rating: 9/10

17. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Not a bad book, though its interesting that the title character doesn't seem to really be the star. Like the movie, he's still rather shrouded in mystery. We really get more focus on Lorn's journey and his little group. Which is a fantastic group, BTW. I loved him, Darsha, and I-Five. They were great characters.

It certainly had its share of vocabulary and made me feel less educated than I am. For example, before this book I didn't know what tessellated, monad, recalitrant, or hirsute meant. Still, it was an easy book to get through.

Interestingly, this is the second Star Wars book I've read in a row where Obi-Wan appears, but plays a secondary role with little effect on the main characters, doesn't really participate in the larger plot, and has no part in the book's climax. The last was Outbound Flight.

Loved tribute to Lucas' first movie with the code mention of "THX 113-".

Speaking of vocab words, a couple really jumped out at me as being oddly placed in a Star Wars book. "Quixotic" and "pyrrhic". You have to wonder how those two words made it into Star Wars' Basic language considering their very Earth-based origin. Sure, all english/Basic words have an Earth origin, but nothing quite like a classic novel or an ancient Greek general.

8/10

18. MaceWindu67

MaceWindu67 Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2007
    10/10. great plot line. we also got darth maul, one of the most dedicated sith lords of all time in my opinion. in tpm maul has a VERY small part and is found nowhere in ep. 2 although lucas promised more of ray park. off that tangent we just needed more of maul and his boodthirsty character!

19. benkenobi151

benkenobi151 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2005
    9/10

Very good. A little slow in parts, but overall great.

20. MGG-112487

MGG-112487 Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2007
    This was the first novel I ever read. Due to Reaves' use of language, his giving Darth Maul and other characters depth, and his other writing skills were amazing to the young eighth grader I was. I thought it was a fantastic and scary story. I gave it a 10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.