main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir #1-4

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BoromirsFan, Jan 7, 2014.

1. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    Wow, he looks angry [face_nail_biting]

Awesome. I am liking this [face_devil]

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I could see Ahsoka appearing in a story arc for Rebels like Chewbacca did in TCW.

I really think she's going to end up being a smuggler that supports the Rebel Alliance.

3. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Depends how its done I suppose.

I guess my main point of hesitation is there are so many with unresolved fates. You listed three, not to touch on Cad Bane, Hondo, Talzin, the bountyhunters, ....

If we get an arc showing Ahsoka, then why not one about this guy, or that couple or.... And Rebels could devolve from being an original plot to trying to squeeze some plot around tying up the loose ends. Guest appearance, tolerable IF done well, but I worry that there will be a bit of overload. Similar to how we got Mara in Allegiance and Choices where she didn't really serve a purpose because the writer wanted his favourite creation in there.

In that case it was tolerable because it didn't detract from the major plots, but Rebels has a much more limited time canvas they can work with with each arc and show.

Tying in the old for say 4 episodes a season is one thing, but I fear they won't limit it that way.

Personally I'd be more interested in them trying to tie into the established points of that period rather than tie up the lose ends. Things like Iblis, or Mothma, or Bail, or Bria Tharen, or Kyle Katarn. Again, those shouldn't take precedence over whatever the main characters and plotlines are, but I feel those would be a more logical fit.

4. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Kyle Katarn is 18 during Rebels, and likely a stormtrooper cadet in the Imperial Academy. I can only foresee his involvement causing problems. Like if he accidentally steals the Death Star plans five years too early while being given a full beard at 18.

WMIRTUTSF, windu4, Zorrixor and 3 others like this.
  5. Weechee

Weechee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 12, 2013
    I think if you watch the clone wars and then the commentary stuff on the dvd blu/rays where they talk about onderon showing the birth of the Alliance, and then actually seeing that ackbar is part of the alliance, and that the show is about teens, i get the impression that the show will focus on one group of rebels who are the crew of the Ghost but that they will possibly encounter and team up and try to unite other groups. Among the groups the logical choices seem to be the Onderonians under Lux and Saw, The Mon Cals under Ackbar and the prince dude, the mando teens that were in Ashoka's class if they survived, the Death watch under Bo Katan, possibly former seperatist such as the geonosians or umbarians, of course we don't want too many episodes to be a clone wars epilogues but we do want a logical cohesion and progression towards ep iv, i am wondering if we will see General Dodonna and Commander Williard and if the Yavin Rebels was specifically a group of Alderanian and a few other planets or what...

6. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    Didn't realize we had an age for him actually.

I didn't mean him specifically, was just referencing people who would logically be around in that period that's already established. Though theoretically, he could pop up as "stormtrooper cadet 5 backing up the inquisitor. You know, the one with the teen-beard thing he thinks looks cool?"

More I'd be interested in something like Iblis et al. Or possibly Tarkin walking around with a servile Mon Calamari behind him.

7. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I'm really looking forward to this, the more Star Wars Dark Horse the better! Having it Clone Wars related is just a bonus.

8. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    The birth or the idea of rebellion MAYBE, but definitely not the birth of the Alliance. I really hate how they keep sayiing tha.

a
    The thing is we know the groups don't really get together in any major way till about 2 years before Yavin. Given this show starts three years before that, it shouldn't be coming up. At least not for a couple seasons.

Possible.

EDIT: actually Probable. And this is something tying back to the Clone Wars that I think could work. Because it fits with the theme rather than simply tying up loose ends. And would provide a logical way to tie in characters like Ahsoka or Hondo for brief arcs. Good thinking.

Can't. Ackbar is Tarkin's personal slave right about this time. Though I would like to see him appear in that role.

Sorry...who?

An interesting concept there. Possible. And would fit with a lot of established stuff about that period.

Oh I'd LOVE to see Dodonna actually get some main character time.

The Yavin base is established less than a year before ANH (see Yavin Vassilka), so I would suspect that given its after the rebel groups get together that it would be a mix of people from various groups.

9. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I would love for Rebels to be about the setup for Operation Domino.

Darth_Henning likes this.
  10. Weechee

Dec 12, 2013
    you for some reason are thinking they will definitely keep the EU history of Ackbar from the old west end games and the yavin base from the Vasillica thing. That particular comic seems very unlikely to have any particular relevance or cohesion even to the EU the art style and character choice makes it seem more like some far fetched fantasy "what if" just because it stars every one and has a pretty much silly storyline. But that remains to be seen I dont think they will worry about that when creating rebels because they did not really worry about for TCW. But if they do they could feature him as a slave and still have him part of the story.

the Mando teens...you know Satine's nephew Corky or whatever and his friends, they may have been killed when rescuing Satine but it wasnt definitively shown what happened to them.

11. Weechee

Dec 12, 2013
    I think they showed Yavin base in the AC Crispin book sometime also maybe, but it just has no aliens so it must be just a small part is what i mean plus the soldiers all have what i assume are Alderaanian uniforms like the Tantive iv troopers

12. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    Until they give some hint that they won't, why should I think any different?

No, TCW didn't pay attention to a lot, but that was when Lucas had total control and before the story group was trying to keep things consistent. Sure, they may trash everything written the last 30 years, but a lot of us hope they won't do that arbitrarily.

And why should art style or character choice mater in the slightest to whether something 'counts' or not?

Ah. But Im confused what you mean when you said "that were in Ashoka's class". I don't recall them ever meeting Ahsoka....

13. Weechee

Dec 12, 2013
    she taught them about corruption in that episode when she was sent to mandalore she was the teacher of the class

14. Weechee

Dec 12, 2013
    some things are more unrealistic than others some more animated, the clone wars micro is way stylistic and so is the Yavin Vassillica and you are correct that that should make no difference...the Ackbar slave thing was in West End Games, but also Lucas arts X-wing games and a few novels i think incorporated it also so it may have a good chance of surviving since it is a more well known thing, like Madine being former Imperial and a few other things that were emphasized in several accounts. but if they do incorporate them in the show they will probably alter the old story in some way that displeases some fans...

15. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Pretty sure he survived that. I saw it on TV.

Slater, Alixen, HEDGESMFG and 7 others like this.
  16. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    I.....have no memory of that happening. But I remember Ahsoka on Mandalore so....

I guess its been a while.

Probably you're right, but given the existence of the Story Group with Leland I hold out hope until proved otherwise. (I'm a often disappointed optimist when it comes to these things)

17. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Yeah, I hope they somehow pull a switcheroo and publish an "F you" version of the comic without Lucasfilm's approval. Then when they're forced to pay a monetary penalty for malicious breach of contract, we can all look back and say Dark Horse went out with class.

GrandMasterKatarn and credar like this.
  18. Weechee

Dec 12, 2013
    but i think they said the show would show the birth of the rebellion and creation of the alliance unfold over several seasons....so they will have time to show a lot of stuff

19. Weechee

Dec 12, 2013
    it is episodes 3-05 Corruption and 3-06 The Academy, and then later they are older and shown in the second to last arc of season 5 where you probably remember them from then.

Also check out the clone wars chronology thread for an episode order that i find to be superior to any other including the official version.Made by watching the episodes about 15 times each at least

20. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    Ah thanks. Been a while since I saw those.

Ill take a look at it.

I just timelined the entire Clone Wars around september, and the official one worked pretty well I thought (still have a few minor adjustments to make before posting), but I'll take a look at it

21. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I saw the G-canon film called TPM that clearly depicted Darth Maul's death, not some show and a new level of canon called T-canon that were created out no where to do whatever they pleased.

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Film purist.

23. Weechee

Dec 12, 2013
    I thought it would be stupid if darth maul survived... but then it was cool when it finally happened... and fitting when he said "OF COURSE I survived" After All General Grievous is a pair of eyeballs and a gizzard so apparently it doesn't take much to keep you alive even if you don't have force powers right?

also seems weird to post in a thread about tv and comics if you dont like tv or comics and only like the films but whatever, if you dont like TCW why do you care about a comic about TCW or about the new Rebels show?

24. Weechee

Dec 12, 2013
    that would certainly give future potential licensers trust to let DH publish their stories

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm actually hoping that the second last issue of this series features everyone thinking Maul is dead, with the final just being a completely unaltered remake of Old Wounds. :p