main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir #1-4

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BoromirsFan, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I'd still like to know why they decided Falleen need a massive skeletal bar right across the roof of their skulls... they're not Frankensteins.

Anyways, pet dislike of the lack of decent depictions of Falleen aside, I thought the art was unexpectedly good too, JackG. Not sure how I feel about Maul already sussing out that Dooku wasn't really going to be his ally... makes the previous issue feel somewhat pointless, but I guess had this been aired on TV that's the kinda reversal that was pretty common for TCW.

As for Talzin? Hmm... not sure what to think. With how much she's always deceiving people, I'm currently hesitant to conclude anything from the preview alone-- it might turn out the whole Nightsisters and Nightbrothers have been tricked the entire time too (think something like Cronal with Lord Shadowspawn and even his own followers not realising the truth).

Edit: Although, given I'm holding out hope that the Force ghost in the ST is the bad guy to mix things up from what we've come to expect, then if Talzin is nothing but a spirit, then that gets me interested with how much the idea came from Lucas himself.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    So it seems Witwer was right?

cwustudent likes this.
  3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I don't think this preview alone is conclusive... but I do stand by my speculation about her true nature. Sam pretty much told us as much with his hint in the s5 set. It makes even more sense when you consider her plans in the Mace/JarJar 2 parter. The preview alone calls her a spirit, and she's always had an otherworldly quality to her in the show.

Looking forward to how this issue plays out. We're gonna have some major Sith smackdowns happening, and those are always fun.

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I like how Maul and the nightbrothers speak of Talzin as if she was a god in the preview

5. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    What was it he said?

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Supposedly he said that we should wonder if she was ever really alive.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Ghost Talizin would make sense to me, inasmuch that it's kinda driving me batty that she freakin' fades into nothingness at the end of the Jar-Jar / Windu S6 two parter but she is able to interact here, so, hey, if they pull a sixth sense, I'm all for it.

8. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    That last issue is going to be a very important one. Technically if we count each comic as an episode of a 4 part arc that would bring the bonus content this year to 5 arcs 17 epsiodes. Of course 4 of them with the 13 episodes are animated and the last arc with the 4 parter are comic books. Still when looking at this as a whole, the bonus content was pretty damn good. We got more than we bargained for. I sure hell didn't expect really anything. I know we have the novel next year and it probably is a 4 -parter arc, but what truly would make I think all of us happy even more is several exclusive episodes done for the season 6 lost missions bonus content release. Marvel Avengers: Earth Mightiest Heroes had an episode that was never aired and can only be seen on volume 5 or 6 of the dvd release. Thats something that could work.

9. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    how does one explain talzin being maul's mother if she's a ghost or spirit

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Well how long has she been a spirit? Before or after Maul was born? Blame TCW for doing crazy things.

11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I can buy her being dead from Massacre on, or even Sidious killing her when he takes Maul, but I don't think she was always a spirit.

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    She's clearly not just a ghost or spirit. She can move in and out of the flesh at will.

13. HEDGESMFG

Nov 20, 2010
    Add in the unknown 4 part bounty hunter arc (unless that's exactly what the Ventress/Vos novel is, but I doubt it), and you have what would've been roughly the complete season 6 at 21 episodes. This arc gives us the first of what was somewhere between 5-6 arcs for what would've been season 7. It seems that material was written through for season 8, and that would've then been the planned end of things. Somewhere between 9-12 arcs remained in the show as a whole after the Ventress novel.

Exactly what arcs remain is a little unclear, but we've now since gotten many hints...

1. We know there was an arc about the battle of Kashyyk. Could be either s7 or s8, but probably 7. See: http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/03/Season6WritersConferenceDaveNotes-72.jpg and http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/03/Season6WritersConferenceDaveNotes-66.jpg
    2. We know there was supposedly an arc involving a scene with Anakin and Obiwan's friendship which gets some extra development and was a major focus. Likely s7. A scene of them talking around the camp fire was shown in a very, very early animatic. There's also a possibility that this is the arc that would've explored Anakin's feelings about Ashoka leaving the order, as there was supposed to be a story which addressed this.
    3. We know there was an arc with Echo where he survives. Rex fights with a group called "The Batch" in this arc. I'd guess another s7 arc, but unknown.
    4. We know there was a storyline featuring Ashoka and Bo Katan together. Probably the next major Mandalore plotline. Bo Katan would've been a sort of Provisional leader (likely of the New Mandos), and Ashoka makes contact with the council. It's likely that she becomes a key player in Mandalorian politics, and perhaps yet another Bounty Hunter herself. Also probably s7. See: http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/03/Season7WritersConferenceDaveNotes-77.jpg
    5. Very little has been said about this, but there was supposedly a second arc on Dac/MonCala in the works. Concept art for it can be seen here. http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/03/Season7WritersConferenceDaveNotes-63.jpg and http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/03/Season7WritersConferenceDaveNotes-62.jpg Note the mention of Prince Lee Char, and a Quarren city which is ABOVE the surface, showing that the planet does indeed still have cities both above and below the surface.
    6. Even less is known about this, but Filoni said that the finale arc would've shown what other characters where doing during RoTS, with the show probably ending concurrently with the film. Definitely s8, likely even the finale.

That sums up what is known about current content, but hey... that's enough hints to cover more than a season's worth of the remaining stories right there if each was a separate arc. At this point, there are probably only about 20 or so episodes worth of stories we know absolutely nothing about. Maybe less. If I had to take a guess, I'd say we're looking at somewhere between 18-24 confirmed episodes beyond the rest of s6 and AFTER the ventress novel. Maybe 28 if one of the bits below was another arc. So anywhere between 18-24 of 40ish remaining episodes.

There's also a bit of content which may or may not be mixed in with the above arcs, or was confirmed cancelled.
    a. Yoda was supposed to get a story that featured him again in a "major way" beyond the s6 arc. If true, consider this either unknown arc "7" or part of the Wookiee arc.
    b. There was a confirmed cancelled story which would've had Padme try to negotiate a peace treaty between the Separatists by having them compete in some sort of absurd olympic games, I believe. She was supposed to be pregnant, and the arc was supposed to end with the peace being disrupted by the start of the battle of Coruscant. Lucas dropped the arc, but this would've been something of either a series finale, or more likely a pre-finale arc. Definitely s8.

14. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    Can't blame TCW that is official canon everything else is Legends. Sorry on that one.

15. vong333

Oct 18, 2003

Man I like this, this was a comprehensive compilation of possibles. This is great, and I hope that Filoni can get as much of this content out either in extra episodes for the blue ray release, comic books, novel. I really liked with what we got this year on TCW, it was way more than I expected and after last years abrupt cancellation, man that was kinda hard. I didn't see it coming, though some of the guys here did. I'm not ashamed to say it but I was depressed for severl months after the cancellation. I thought the series was starting to hit in all cylinders. I hope Marvel gets motivated next year and come out with several more arcs.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    They are sitting on at least a season or more of produced scripts if they started making anamatics, I can't see all that content being vaulted, hopefully it'll be released and/or adapted somehow.

One thing I loved about issue #3 was that it had some Grevious-kicking-ass bits which, considering how much he got punked constantly in the TV series, it was nice to see him unleash and even taunt people while he was tearing them to shreds. Brought back fond memories of Grevious from the Gendy series.

17. HEDGESMFG

Nov 20, 2010
    Oh, I almost forgot...

Pay close attention to the order of these images. The numbering likely denotes how far into the series each of these concepts would've come about. Also remember that each batch "season 5" doesn't mean airing season, but production number. It looks like the Bounty Hunter arc was still part of the s5 batch. In production, each season of the show got 26 episodes. In airing, 22. The production numbers and order was different from airing order. All of the lost mission episodes are part of the "season 5" production batch, which is why they were the easiest to complete and release. The bounty hunter arc is a part of the s5 batch that wasn't released, according to the image below. Likely covering episodes 22-25 of that production season. The production numbers don't necessarily indicate a complete story arc either, as the first maul episode of airing season 5 was actually the last of season 4's production batch (4.26). The Son of Dathomir arc was probably 5.26-6.03.

Furthermore, because each production batch was 26 episodes, while each airing batch was 22 or less, the numbers for each season don't match up. After the Dathomir and Bounty hunter arcs, production seasons 6 and 7 would've had 49 episodes remaining. (assuming they each had 26 episodes of course), meaning there WAS no "season 8" batch to be produced, because that would've given enough content for the remaining 2 airing seasons 7 and 8. Chances are, the last "season 7" production batch would've been less than 26 episodes, bringing us to a more normal 20-22 episodes for seasons 7 and 8.

What's the point of all this? It means the images we got from the so called "season 7" batch were likely fairly close to the show's written end.

Without further ado, here's the images Filoni released numbered in proper order, and contained in each batch. This should give us a slightly better outline of what was still to come, or what we could see in future releases.

Production season 5 batch images
    http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/03/Season5WritersConferenceDaveNotes-44.jpg (Definitely from the BH arc.)

Production season 6 batch images
    http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/03/Season6WritersConferenceDaveNotes-66.jpg
    http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/03/Season6WritersConferenceDaveNotes-72.jpg
    http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/03/Season6WritersConferenceDaveNotes-75.jpg (Maul vs Quinlan? This could factor into the upcoming novel if Maul DOES survive. It was also part of the "s6" batch here...)
    http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/03/Season6WritersConferenceDaveNotes-691.jpg (Echo. The number's different for this file, so I'm not sure when in the season it happens, but "The batch" episodes were part of s7, likely.)

Production season 7 batch images
    http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/03/Season7WritersConferenceDaveNotes-29.jpg (...and yet here, another Vos image is part of the s7 batch. Likely the same arc split between 2 production seasons. This is our first major hint of what the Ventress/Vos novel could involve)
    http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/03/Season7WritersConferenceDaveNotes-62.jpg
    http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/03/Season7WritersConferenceDaveNotes-63.jpg (Both images from the mysterious second Mon Cala arc)
    http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/03/Season7WritersConferenceDaveNotes-70.jpg (No idea what this is from... Padme with a speeder? The numbering puts it close to...)
    http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/03/Season7WritersConferenceDaveNotes-77.jpg (This arc... likely from very late in the show, were Bo Katan is seen with Ashoka...)
    http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/03/Season7WritersConferenceDaveNotes-79.jpg (...and close to Maul doing his best Emperor impersonation.)

All in all, if they keep to the outlines, Maul may have lasted til close to the show's end, appearing once per season. We MAY seem him fight Vos in the upcoming Quinlan novel, and then he may have one more storyline after that.

Or they may just kill him in SoD issue 4 and be done with it. No one says they have to follow the script exactly either.

But there you go, that's part 2 of EVERYTHING we know about the rest of TCW so far.

pronker, DoubleSith and Gorefiend like this.
  18. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Me too, except I'm still not over it.:_|

19. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I really want that Obi-Wan Anakin friendship arc to be adapted; hopefully into a novel. If they have any more arcs or episodes with them, I really want an Anakin and Obi-Wan trilogy that would lead directly into ROTS. That time period is unfilled and we need more of them. Their friendship is one of my favorite aspects of the era.

20. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    What's interesting is that in Book of Sith, Talzin claims to have acquired her shamanic powers when possessed by the spirits while giving birth. Maybe it was she who possessed Kycina while the latter was giving birth?

As far as this last issue goes, what I get from the preview is that perhaps Talzin wasn't being literal about being Maul's mother (Great Mother and all that).

21. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    That would actually link the conflicting depictions of the Nightsister giving Palpatine Maul, as she'd "be" Talzin and yet "not be" Talzin at the same time, which would account for why his and Talzin's accounts for what had happened could be conflicting, as it becomes a matter of point-of-view.

Edit: And just ninja'd by Starkeiller ;)

22. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    :p

Yeah, I guess Kycina could be Talzin, and both the Darth Plagueis and Book of Sith accounts could still be 100% true. While giving birth to Maul, she was transformed into the Smoke Monster for some reason. (Did she give birth in the Heart of the Island? Was Maul conceived before the crash? Who are the Others?)

I just hope we get some kind of an explanation about what Talzin is before Sidious wipes the floor with her.

Zorrixor likes this.
  23. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm still intrigued by the fact it means that Lucas himself (being based on a TCW story, it would have gone by him, right?) signed off on a dark side spirit.

Which makes my dream of an Ian McDiarmid ghost in the ST more possible. [face_praying]

(Although, the danger would be that if they do plan to have Palpatine's ghost appear, it means we might not get an answer to what Talzin is until Episode 9 and them revealing Palpatine had learned the secret to cheat death from the Nightsisters or something. :p)

24. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Ohmygod Talzin is Plagueis!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

But why have Palpatine's ghost in the sequels when there's an entire army of clones waiting in their tanks? :p

Zorrixor likes this.
  25. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Clones, smlones, his ghost would be Daisy Solo's invisible friend who she's known since a little girl...

...wait, that makes Palpatine just sound like a stalker. :p