main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir #1-4

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BoromirsFan, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Hi Vialco,

Let me please answer to this in the Savage-Opress-Thread not bothering struggling immaculate Lord Maul with such issues ;)

2. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Oh, no post after mine during this week?;)

Until now I didn’t mind to read the commentaries in this thread about the issues 1-3 till I got them weeks after US-customers will get it. But now I’m afraid to read the end of the story here much sooner than I want it to know. That’s why I would like to refrain from looking into this thread till I hold the Issue #4 in my very own hands. I want to have a surprise. And to keep Maul alive at least for me for some more time if he really wouldn't survive.

3. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Worrying about Maul's survival strikes me as a rather surrealist concept at this stage. :p

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  4. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    He's the K'Kruhk of the new canon.

5. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Loved the Grievous and Dooku interactions in #3. They do have a bit of a push and pull dynamic going on. Like I know Dooku is supposed to be his superior but Grievous obviously thinks of him on level terms.

6. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    So with Talzin being Maul's mother what are the chances that Palpatine is his father?

7. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
  8. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Possibly. (Human + Dathomirian = Zabrak?)
    "[Darth Plagueis] could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create...life."
    I'm not suggesting it, just expanding the discussion. [face_peace]

9. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Most unlikely. Maul's father was probably a Nightbrother, possibly Brother Viscus-which would explain Viscus's loyalty to Talzin.

10. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002

Today in Days of our (dark side) lives... :p

I sure hope it was done through some ritual cause eeeww

11. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    I like the idea of it, brings things full circle if Palpatine kills him and it works as one of those poetry rhyming things. Like a darker version of the Luke/Anakin thing.

also from wookieepedia

[face_dancing]

Zorrixor likes this.
  12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    That actually conjures up quite a cool image in my head, with Maul [Luke] pleading his Father/Mother [delete as appropriate] for help, but Talzin [depending on how the scene went] sacrificing him for her own ends.

i.e. I could easily imagine her devouring her own child's soul in a last ditch attempt to cling onto her own life to try and stop Palpatine killing her.

13. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    While I agree this hasn't been well executed, I'm still interested in where it is heading. At this point I don't see both Maul and Talzin dying in the last issue. One of them might, but for both of them to die would require a frantic pacing even this series isn't capable of.

I'm rooting more Maul to survive this. It would be a shame for him to survive being cut in half by Kenobi just to die in a series like this.

Sudooku likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I've been enjoying the series so far- people talk about the rushed pacing, but that's probably because it's based on a TCW story ;). The series had a tendency to rush through a lot of events in a single episode.

The only difference here is that the duels and action sequences are more abbreviated than they would have been in animated form, but the story itself probably would have moved at the same exact pace.

Well, I think we're seeing Palpatine: Master of Plan B here again. Plan A was to draw out Talzin. That didn't work, so now Plan B is probably to help get the Jedi off of Sidious's scent by making them believe Maul and Dooku are working together.

And, I suspect, Dooku will kill Talzin once they meet again. So, bonus points.

K'Kruhk is the K'Kruhk of the new canon. He survived Tartakovsky. He survived Lucas. He survived Filoni. You don't think he could survive Disney? You think Disney is tough? Disney is a freaking choir boy compared to K'Kruhk. A choir boy! O:)

15. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    All he needs now is the hat.

16. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I had a dream about the ending of this arc last night.

Mother Talzin is stabbed through the heart by Sidious on an ice planet, with her body rolling into a ditch. Maul, grief-stricken, escapes from Sidious and hides in an attic for the rest of his life making sorrowful paintings.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    In it, did you come back and free all the slaves?

18. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    I'm afraid not.

Zorrixor likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Then, even in your dreams, you are no Brad Pitt.

20. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    I rather would say that Anakin is Palpatine's son but Maul.

Regarding brother Viscus as Maul's father I always thought that it is the tradition of the night-folk on Dathomir to kill every nightbrother who is becoming father of a son, like it is written in Maul's biography. Thus it could be that Maul and Savage were half-brothers with different fathers or they were the (two-egged) twins, James Luceno talked about in the "Darth Plagueis"-novel.

Does somebody know which was Maul's mother tongue? I think he wasn't able to speak Dathomiri. Surely he spoke Basic and beside this his master spoke Coruscanti with him or the Naboo-language?
    I also have Issue three now in my hands. It seems that Maul is making another transformation here. At first he was Sidious' apprentice till the Naboo fall. Then he was breaking free slowly till Sidious kept him again, driving him into the arms of his mother Talzin. I wonder if he will reveal her demands in issue #4 which he only mentioned in #3 to be the demands of Mother Talzin instead his own demands. Will he ever break free entirely?

I'm very disappointed of Lord Tyranus, setting Grievous free. Another treacherous act of him. Did he do that in the hope he might help him, to show Sidious some loyalty or just to bug Maul a bit?

Were Dooku and Grievous at the same ship before their capture? When Maul, Gar Saxon and Rook Kast entered the ship to capture Grievous I guess it was a kind of difficult to get on board. And suddenly I see the nightbrothers showing up in Dookus cabin. Wasn't it dangerous for them too, to board the ship? And much more to be seen to the CIS-forces for they need more space than Maul and his elite? Or was the droid-command-signal already deactivated this time? And I also don't understand that Dooku gave up so soon while he seemed to get along with fighting the Nightbrothers very well. And then he was overwhelmed by the remaining shadow-collective coming in? Without using his force-lightning to push them back? Maybe he was just overwhelmed by the incoming Mandalorians but that was to rushed in my eyes.

Then I don't realize when Dooku and Maul did leave together the Command-Ship of Grievous and Dooku. I think they do this after Dooku joined Maul but I'm not sure if he took him just away from the ship to discuss later in his asteroid hangar with Mother Talzin and about the new alliance.

May somebody tell me?

21. AniSkylover

AniSkylover Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 5, 2001
  22. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    So Talzin really was dead this whole time. That's definitely a theory that crossed my mind more than once, but it always seemed a bit farfetched to me - how can a mere spirit perform such powerful feats of magic?

I'm a bit annoyed they got Dathomir's color wrong, though.

Barriss_Coffee and cwustudent like this.
  23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Where is Talzin revealed to be dead? I read the preview and didn't notice any revelation.

24. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    They got it right, not wrong. That's the original Dathomir, from Geonosis and the Outer Rim, I believe. \m/@_@\m/
    Not so much dead as "not alive in the first place", I guess. Talzin appears to be some sort of "infernal machine". Probably a faulty Kwa hypergateholocron or whatnot, hence the "magic". ;)

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  25. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Did the artist improve this issue coming or that just me?