main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir #1-4

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BoromirsFan, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Then Palpatine should never have spared him, especially when a little piece of the plan already leaked to the Jedi.

2. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I loved the series, they are the only comics I've purchased in many years. The storyline really would have worked best in animated form, or even as a movie. I hope at some point it is revisited when they continue the Maul story.

As for Talzin always being a ghost, I don't think her physical body was ever dead until the final issue, she was simply existing between the physical and spirit realms in spirit ichor because she couldn't fully manifest after the power it took to restore Maul. When Savage was transformed, a number of other Nightsisters helped - she changed Maul by herself - it must have been a significant drain on her life-force. In CW season 6, we see that she hasn't regained her full form, as spirit ichor mist is around her and making her partially transparent. I'm honestly surprised she was able to leave Dathomir and duel Windu in this weakened state, but that only helped prove how powerful and determined she was.

3. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    So I just read what was the final issue of this. So I suppose Maul is now still at large?

4. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    This series is pretty good, and when you hear the jedi journal interview with Jeremy Barlow you start to get the guist of how important this arc was and how muchw as cut just so that it could fit into comic. This four part arc had the making of amazing, and it one that we won't get. At least we get the story in some form but boy had this been animated this would kicked the crap out the rest of the other arcs hands down. This was the main reasin why I was against the cancellation of the show and wy I was very misreable at the news. The bonus content was fantastic but imagine how much more the series would have been if it would have been allowed to continue until its finish. No matter what, this was good, but despite some of the positives that I hear about Rebels, there is no gurantee they will finish what they start. My only advice to Filoni, Weissman, Disney, and Lucasflim is don't over do this. If Rebels is only good for 3 seasons and that is what it should be. Don't add more and then not finish this. I felt burned by the wat TCW ended. This four issue series along with the interview brought back some of those feeling up again.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Maul really seems to hate Sidious here. He's certainly come a long way from that utterly loyal myrmidon that we saw in TPM. Say what you will about TCW bringing Maul back, but they certainly gave Darth Maul a great deal of depth.

Maul skillfully takes control of Mandalore and unites various criminal gangs into an army. He shows loyalty and genuine affection towards his brother and mother who restored him to life, and then subsequently were killed by his fomer master. I think that one aspect of Maul that is very unexpected is his sheer hatred and defiance of Sidious. The Maul in TPM was Sidious's loyal servant, but by the end of this arc it's pretty clear that Maul hates Sidious as much as he hates Obi-Wan, and that he would never serve Sidious again.

6. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Well, Sidious has tortured Maul since the latter was a very young boy. The love Maul felt for his master was repressed and "transubstantiated" hatred (the two, as everyone knows, are, quite scarily, almost the same thing).

What I want to know is when was Maul converted to Talzin's cause? Did she brainwash him when she (literally) washed his mind of the dirty spider-madness? Was he always loyal to Talzin (this is a stupid retcon/character assassination, so hell no). Did she recruit him offscreen at some point between the episodes -- as early as when he was cut in half or as late as in his cell on Stygeon?

7. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    After his revival I think, they were communicating via TP.

8. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    Maul probably looked to Sidious as a father figure, and Sidious did nothing but put him in harms way and then abandoned him. Maul was dedicated to Sidious, but Sidious has little care for any of his pawns and apprentices - they can all be replaced in his mind.

I don't think Maul had to be converted to Talzin's cause, because they both hate him. He is loyal to Talzin, not only because she is his mother, but she saved him more than once and truly cares about his "destiny" that she foresaw.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    It seems that Maul acts as Talzin's agent from the start (i.e. he started the Shadow Collective on Talzin's orders as part of her plan), but it would be beyond all the realms of idiocy to suggest that he had been Talzin's agent all throughout his Sith-hood under Sidious, so I am forced to assume she visited him on Lotho Minor (or even Naboo). Ties in nicely with how she "resurrected" him. Or Zanbar, after he is rescued by the Death Watch, could also work.

pronker likes this.
  10. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Hi Starkeiller,

I don't think that he was ordered by Mother Talzin to form the Shadow Collective. That would mean that Maul was not intelligent enough to make his own plans. But at his time as Sidious' apprentice he had several missions leading him into the crime-organizations and even prisons and thus he knows from the scratch how these organizations do work and how he can influence and gain superiority upon them. Did you read "Darth Maul: Lockdown." by Joe Schreiber? A really great novel!

But I was actually a bit stunned how much he needed Talzin's advice in "Son of Dathomir" Like he switched from being Sidious' apprentice to Talzin's one. From Father's pet to Mother's pet. And now he is free from both.

That was a question I asked myself before. And some people asked why it was not possible to supersize Ventress the same way. Because it even took for the Nightsisters much efforts and energy they have to spare for special occasions like having Ventress her revenge on Dooku or to restore Maul. Now I know. Thanks, Mother Talzin :)

I also read that people were asking if Ventress was also a real offspring of Mother Talzin. I think no, because otherwise it would be strange that she shows up in the Nightbrother's village to choose Savage as her mate there. Even if she really was not inclined to mate with him.

Here I wrote also something about the Issue 4:

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    I see Maul and Talzin having more of a mutual partnership in this series, rather than a master / apprentice relationship. Maul may defer to Talzin at times, but that's likely because she is wise and has a better grasp on the darkside and Dathomir magicks. He is certainly not her pawn, or the ending would have been reversed. I believe she wants him to achieve the greatness he lost on Naboo - with her at his side.

12. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Just finished this series and the wrapup of Maul's story. I liked how the Mauldalorians, in their spiffy red and black armor, were not left to be wondered about by any TCW viewer, as they seemed loyal *to a fault* to Maul after he conquered Pre Viszla. It sets the tone for a militaristic society, with Death Watch as its most extreme example. I wonder if any other, more extreme, variant groups existed within Mandalore, though that seems the realm of fanfiction. [face_devil] I really liked the idea of possession by Talzin, and her story arc. The large cast in this series made it seem even more epic!

As for the art, it was sufficiently star-spanning, with lots of detail, too, on the personal, on Maul's snarling face, and a goodly amount of his calmer expressions when he dealt with Mother Talzin or plotted. The scope of Maul's story just would have had to include Obi-Wan, which it did to my satisfaction; that character seemed to be his usual thoughtful self, in between bouts of battles and angst over Tiplee's passing. I guess he seems more on edge after seeing yet another comrade meet her end. He's out of the series at that point, so maybe more was included in the full scripts? Does anyone know what was edited for the comics version of them? *goes to read thread*

Wow, 35 pgs. to skim of comments. This series is worth it. Mother_Talzin that was an apt description of Maul's and Talzin's relationship - it seemed he had found a sponsor under whom he could flower, and then ... you know. :(

Sudooku likes this.
  13. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Looks like that variant cover may indeed be the TPB cover. Amazon hasn't updated, but this has...

[​IMG]

14. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    I still can't believe Darth Maul is still officially alive. Although it's unlikely to happen, I can imagine Darth Maul popping up in the Sequel Trilogy and would start causing mayhem. I can just imagine the looks on the faces of casual moviegoers who to most of their understanding think Darth Maul is still dead from The Phantom Menace.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    ST, I don't think likely. Rebels I think is practically a given. Maybe season 2.

16. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    Shame Obi-Wan might not get that chance to really avenge Qui-Gon. I don't see our Rebels crew being able to hold off a fully trained Sith. I think it's sort of implied that Kanan's training wasn't really completed well enough. So I don't really see him lasting against Maul.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well I'm not saying we're getting Rebels vs. Maul throw down, but I think the character may be used. He's got a bone to pick with Sidious and he has (had) kind of an army. And he's out there. Could be used in various ways, maybe he joins up to fight the Empire out of spite but he's too damned coldblooded to be used with the Rebels.

18. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    I don't see Darth Maul becoming Lord Scourge in Rebels. That would be just plain odd.

19. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    I really like that variant cover, if the trade paperback uses it, I may pick it up, though I own the single issues already...

pronker likes this.
  20. vstarvan

vstarvan Jedi Master star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    I picked up my TPB yesterday, and it does use this cover. It's my favorite cover out of them all.

pronker likes this.
  21. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Rebel general Maul. The true reason Obi Wan never got out of hiding to join the cause

22. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    One of the main characters of Rebels is a Mandalorian, right? Maybe that could be used as the connection to Maul.

pronker and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Seems reasonable.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Ya and what I can tell there was still one more arc that maul was to appear in.

25. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    His story definitely isn't over after SoD, but whether Disney continues where the CW series planned to go is another issue. They may ditch any unproduced scripts and come up with a new conclusion for him at this point.