main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by newdawn12, Jan 7, 2014.

1. TK421-677

TK421-677 Jedi Padawan

Mar 10, 2012

I hope this is true. As happy as I am that The Clone Wars is continuing in some form, I really hope this mini series is just a stop gap in Maul's storyline.

To be completely honest, I hope I don't even have to read the comic to understand Maul's character arc when (if) he shows up in Rebels. I would love it if I could go from watching Lawless to watching his first appearance on Rebels without missing much. Rebels could just quickly explain that Sidious kept him locked up for some nefarious purpose before letting him loose on our new heroes.

Or something like that.

Redimet and Embomania like this.
  2. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    *In response to a post made in the Live Action Series thread, but more appropriate to this thread*

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2013.html

When you look at titles like Star Wars, the yearly sales for issues (to North American comic shops, not to customers) seems to cap off in the tens of thousands. Which is why I get a little frustrated if I want to see something on screen in the TV shows or films and someone counters by directing me to a comic. Not because I think comics are an inferior medium (I actually quite enjoy some of them), but because only a tiny fraction of the total Star Wars fan base reads them and so when somewhat important aspects of the Star Wars universe are covered in comic books, I feel like they need to be affirmed on screen as well - where the number of people watching things like TCW, and especially the films, are much, much higher.

But when it comes to something like appealing to a niche audience that wants the ultra-serious, no non-sense, "grim-dark" Star Wars, I think comics are a perfect medium (and the most realistic medium) to catering to that niche, because they are so low risk. And so they could actually serve to gauge interest in such a move that could then possibly be translated to other media.

I mean, the total number of copies of issues of Supergirl are less than 30,000, but that property still marches on, so apparently it's turning a profit, despite the small fraction of the population actually reading Supergirl.

If there's 30,000 people willing to buy grim dark Star Wars comics in the US, perhaps that niche could keep such a title afloat.

EDIT: This is why I think that when Filoni teases or implies that we may some day see the remaining TCW stories told in some form, I'm curious if they will look to the success of this Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir miniseries to gauge whether to release additional TCW stories in comic format.

3. Embomania

Embomania Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    I think much like they did with Maul's time from TPM to when he showed up in TCW, they can quickly explain what he was doing in a conversation. Mass Effect also does similar things with their comic book stories that get a brief mention in the game of what happened.

4. henryj95

henryj95 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2014
    Now that we have information on the second issue, I am extra sad that we won't be seeing this on screen. Season Six reinvigorated my approval of Dooku as a character. I don't know that I will ever be on board with Grievous as a character but I am definitely ready for Maul and Dooku to face off. Also, I expect we will see Quinlan Vos show up in this arc, thanks to Dave Filoni's sketches...

Dark Lord Tarkas and cwustudent like this.
  5. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I've been saying Maul should recruit his own tribesmen for how long now? :)

Well, anyway, I hope they don't kill off Darth Maul in a comic book. That would be a waste. I hope they leave open the opportunity to make another Clone Wars movie to wrap things up properly. ;)

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    An army of Darth Mauls!

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  7. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

I want to see an army of Nightbrothers wielding crimson lightsabers. Maul's way of defying the Rule of Two.

8. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The teases of information say that Sidious puts Maul in a prison, then states he wants to put Maul in the ground permanently, despite Sidious' final words in the S5 Maul arc suggesting exactly the opposite, since he had an opportunity to kill Maul and didn't.

And I doubt that he spares Maul just to lock him away. So, I wonder if the act of locking him away is to make him desperate. Then allow Maul to escape the prison (but make it look like you're trying to stop him) and then see where he goes (to Talzin), to find out who had been helping him and how he survived.

9. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm guessing Maul escapes. Thus the ire of Sidious wanting him dead, again.

A world of obsidian covered landscapes sounds pretty dismal. I wonder if Darth Sidious was hoping to keep his former apprentice under wraps until a need arises?

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Somebody should create fan art of that.

11. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Nah, not an army, but a small group would be cool. I've always imagined Darth Maul leading a small group of Zabrak Sith, anyway. In fact, this is what I thought TPM would be about — a group of Zabrak Sith Lords who were out to rule the Galaxy through the use of clone technology. I was so disappointed to find out that I was way off in that prediction. :(

Dra--- likes this.
  12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I remember reading a theory that Maul became Sidious's apprentice in order to infiltrate the Sith for the Nightsisters. That doesn't fit the EU, but it fits TCW perfectly.

Dra--- likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I could see the Nightsister that gave Sidious the infant Maul, having this in mind when she did so - and lying to him about her motives.

Dra--- and darklordoftech like this.
  14. Unbowed.Unbent.Unbroken

Unbowed.Unbent.Unbroken Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2012
    I don't think that would work since there is absolutely no way Maul and Vader wouldn't be at each other's throats if they knew of each other's existence.

15. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    It wouldn't surprise me if Vader somehow wanted to use Maul for his own diabolic plans.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The comics did give us a duel between Vader & Maul - it's left vague whether it's the real Maul, or some kind of duplicate. Palpatine simply says "There are ways in which those who are no more can live again."

17. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    What comic was that?

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It was a one-off from Star Wars Tales, a story called Resurrection. It's a pretty badass short story.

19. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    For that reason I was convinced at first that Kacina = Talzin... until "Wrath of" killed the idea.:mad:

20. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    [​IMG]

21. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    ^Fascinating. I wonder about these "surprising facts about Maul's past". Evidently they intend to expand upon what Restraint only covered superficially regarding Maul's history with the Nightsisters, and we may yet learn more about his early apprenticeship to Darth Sidious. The plot thickens. Can't wait to get my hands on the first issue next month!

One off-hand comment: the Darksaber looks kinda funky in that picture; the curved blade should be flat on one end, but maybe it's simply the angle we're looking from.

22. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Oh man... if only they could have made this the way it was meant to be seen... It would have looked FANTASTIC.

23. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003

yeah that sucks.

24. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    I don't know if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but Sam Witwer mentioned on RebelForce Radio that he went to the final Yoda arc screening at Lucasfilm and was told specifically by Lucas and Filoni that Darth Maul was not going to die in the Clone Wars and his story would have continued on.

That was interesting to hear.

Yancy

25. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Haha, Dooku Captured 2.0!

SithStarSlayer likes this.