main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by newdawn12, Jan 7, 2014.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If Maul survived purely through his hatred, why haven't other Sith Lords survived through their hatred?

2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Vader did.

BigAl6ft6 and Jax_the_Admiral like this.
  3. The Shadow Collective

The Shadow Collective Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 21, 2013

Well the Plagueis novel states that Maul's mother Kycina handed him over to Palpatine when he was less than a year old. She handed him away so that at least one of her three sons would grow up free of Talzin's control. Years later when Talzin learned of this she had Kycina locked away and punished. I know some will oppose this as its no canon any longer but i'm still going with the Legends timeline.

This is what we knew before the Sons of Dathomir comic retconned it to Talzin being Maul's biological mother, so that's what starts to make it complicated. If Talzin really is his mother than Kycina was lying to Palpatine and why would she have been punished by Talzin later for doing so, unless it was under Talzin's orders to not inform him of Maul's true parentage, but then again why would Talzin have been angry with her? Was it possible for Kycina to have been Savage and Feral's mother, and Talzin was Maul's and they happened to be getting it on with the same Nightbrother? But then again why would Kycina have had Maul and claimed to be him mother?

If Kycina really was Maul's mother, why would Talzin have been so close to him and sacrificed her life to save him. Did she really want a son perhaps and Kycina acted as a surrogate mother? But then Kycina decided against Talzin mothering him and decided to try and sneak him away. I guess that would explain why Talzin would be mad when she found out, but it wouldn't explain the background between Talzin and Palpatine; And if Talzin was really the one to hand him over to Palpatine, what was her reason for doing so, was that mentioned at all? I can't remember now.

4. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    [face_thinking]

That's a curious interpretation of events. I'd argue that Sidious has been kicking Maul's butt left and right, actually. "The Lawless" was to be Maul's moment of triumph, but Sidious walks in and dismantles the whole thing in a 5 minute duel where Sidious pretty much curbstomps Maul and then murders his brother in front of him. Then Sidious outfoxes Maul, lures Talzin into a position of vulnerability and kills her. In the process, Maul loses the support of Black Sun and the Pykes and is forced to flee yet again. Meanwhile, Sidious has recovered his two primary pawns (Grievous and Dooku), has laid waste to Dathomir (Maul's ancestral home and a major site of his power), and is now apparently totally indifferent to Maul's existence.

I'd say it's pretty clear that, of the two, Sidious has been consistently shown to be the dominant Sith by far. He's more powerful than Maul, a better fighter, more successful, and more intelligent.

Cevan, BigAl6ft6 and darth ladnar like this.
  5. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Sidious is the most powerful darksider of this era, I would say Talzin ranks next. The final issue was an epic battle, as it took Sidious, Dooku, and Grievous to kill her. It was a sacrifice she was willing to make in order to save her son though. She could have left via spirit ichor as she has done before, but her son was more important than her physical body. While her body is dead, I have no doubt that she can still manifest as a force ghost, so I think its possible we'll see her again in future Maul media, whatever that might be. The end was similar to the Obi-wan / Luke relationship in ANH. Obi-wan sacrificed himself and then guided Luke as a ghost, I think the same may happen with Talzin / Maul.

6. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I had talked about that sorta thing. The producers changed the Lawless fight to make Sidious the more powerful of the two( or three) because he's in the movies, and while Maul is supposed to have some shred of humanity inside him while Sidious cause he was the Sith Master does not in their minds or Lucas'.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...mic-miniseries.50017559/page-31#post-51772637

I don't place much stock into what the writers said or the finished episode, it was always off. That plus the value decreases with Sidious being powerful and with Maul's plead seen in Lawless, lies that fact that Sidious did the same thing to Windu in ROTS - unless you want to believe that he was truly that weak like Lucas claimed and burnt himself with his own lightning lol. It was no doubt an act of deception to trick Sidious into believing he was at his mercy and cause of Sidious great overconfidence would keep him alive to use him to locate Talzin whom he believes is the real leader of the Shadow Collective throughout this series going back to issue 1. So he's again grossly dismissing Maul, had he killed Maul, Talzin would vanished or stay in the spirit realm. Or he could have simply went to Dathomir and destroyed her temple which doesnt seem to have been well hidden.

Just before Sidious attacked the brothers, you had Maul claiming he built all this to hoping to returning to his side, that was a ruse too. Sidious looks at the brothers and especially at Opress, and becomes very agitated and enraged, like there was moment Sidious could of actually believed Maul but once he saw Opress he felt betrayed and that he was being deceived himself and calls Maul out as a rival. Otherwise it does not fit the narrative of Maul's vengeance against Sidious with Mother Talzin. If Maul was serious or semi-serious as the writers claim, then how does this SOD arc work which they supposedly wrote down all this at once as part of their storyline at some point in time back in 2008 or whatever. If Maul was in such great danger, Talzin couldve went to Mandalore to face Sidious, she had enough juice to fight Windu in the 6th season. And if Sidious accepted Maul back , and if Maul dispatched Opress and turned on Mother, then how or what exactly is the plotline?!

We know Sith are renown for deception, and Maul's actions and comments throughout this comic series leads one to the fact that Maul is every bit as cunning and devious as Sidious and Talzin. Maul suspected his escape was too easy and he suspected Sidious' plan with Dooku. So the Lawless sequence was no doubt a ruse to lore Sidious out as much as Sidious had a plan t lure Talzin out. We what little the writers of CW offer, is that Talzin was set back supposedly after she resurrected Maul, but she had plently of juice during CIS invasion so maybe after that thats when she was weakened .

The Jar Jar and Windu episode causes a problem, as why didnt she recharge her batteries sooner, this doenst happen until after Maul is captured. She has her own personal ship and travels often and she is a leader of an off world cult that steals souls. How did this storyline fit, all I remember of it was there is a specific time window due to a prophecy to bring fourth the Great Mother through some magnifying glass and pyramid contraption. Would she become Super Talzin, whats the deal? We know Nightbrothers or Nightsisters can capture force sensitives and sacrifice them to Mother Talzin at her monolith, so she really doesnt need to go traveling off world to some planet full of Jar Jar like idiots. So it seems now she's added into the storyline directly against Sidious only in SOD. She needs juice still apparently, but again this is very late in the game. She couldve had her Nightsisters also make preparations against the Droid Invasion or take them off world once her plans of killing Dooku failed. Surely she had to know he would send an invasion army at some point where their lightbows are match for a modern army that grossly outnumbers them like a hundred to one. Or both Dooku and Sidious couldve shown up together much sooner to snuff her out. Why didnt Talzin simply instead give Ventress a tranquilizer dart to capture Dooku alive so she could feed off his soul WAY before?! Or better yet, why didnt Talzin personally go to Dooku and cut his heart out. Had she eliminated Dooku like she threated in issues 3 and 4, Sidious would've been pretty messed up. So there is problems with the storyline which it seems writers fault or they're writing illogical storylines to just push the arcs into future seasons where nothing is answered and its endless. Talzin only becomes involved against Dooku after Dooku attempted to killed betray and murder Ventress on bequest from Sidious. If she hated the Sith and both of these current Lords, she couldve intervened and warned Ventress. Ventress even knowing about Talzin and of Dathomir and to return "home" is another problem as she had no dealings with them prior anyway in this series. This series established she was taken as an infant( sorta mirrors Maul) by a pirates and she hoods up with a Jedi Master who then trained her as a Jedi Padawan during her adolescence. After he was killed she fell into the darkside and somehow at somepoint fell in with Dooku the Sith Lord Darth Tyranus. Ventress had very precious little to do with Nightsisters and Dathomir and last time she was there was apparently when she was an infant. She had to be around Maul's age. So what happened on Dathomir where these sisters and brothers could not defeat pirates?!

So far Maul was discarded which was Sidious first mistake, he dismissed his return and then Maul came back with a vengenice and built up an impressive tally of Jedi kills and built his own empire, he has his own planet within a year's time and a planet like Mandalore the ancient enemy of the Jedi is quite a feat. Plus has built the Death Watch into a full sized army where with Vizla it was a small group of guerrilla terrorist. Think even Gar Saxon uses a variant of the Roman salute with the right fist pledging the heart while the other Mando's had their right arms raised. It took Sidious until he was a very old man to reach this level of success but it was not by his own hand in the battlefield but through politics sitting behind a desk. Maul shifted the balance and attention away from Sidious' Clone War, he accomplished what Sidious could not, broke a Jedi Master like Kenobi. Sidious failed in breaking or defeating Yoda in the next season, he was not strong enough and would need more time to defeat the Jedi. Maul's Shadow Collective was a major threat to Sidious, but he mistakingly believes it was Mother Talzin behind the Shadow Collective, while its true leader was Maul. And he was keeping Maul alive and his failure to break him under torture he hatched a ruse to get locations of bases. Maul escapes, and is aware Sidious may behind the ease of his escape, hatches a plan that drains the CIS forces and leads eventually Dooku and Grievous into a trap where he captures both. Maul escaped yet again. Talzin died not by Sidious but by Grievous's backstabbing. To Talzin Maul was always more important to her cause she was his son plus she knew he would one day be more powerful than either herself or Sidious. He still has a great destiny to fulfill.

The unfortunate consequence of CW and this series is that you cannot kill off major characters that were in the succeeding film and the future years with the OT. Grievous alone shouldve been killed 3 or 4 times in SOD alone.

7. The Shadow Collective

The Shadow Collective Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 21, 2013
    I was literally just going to make this point, that's the problem with have this as an interquel series. Storylines and character fates are set in stone so there is a lack of creative writing available. Sure they can bring in new characters and great threats, but unfortunately they will always play out the same as guys like Sidious, Dooku & Grievous cannot be killed yet. This i feel almost diminishes the worth of these threats as you know they will likely die or at the very least their plans will not succeed. At least with Maul they have the option of him still being alive post Ep.3 But my point still stands that 20 years later in the original trilogy Palpatine still reigns over the galaxy so Maul will never actually to get a good shot at defeating him or being a great threat. And as i said in an earlier post, if Maul were to be in the upcoming sequel trilogy, he will be like nearly 100 years old!

darth ladnar likes this.
  8. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    I tend to agree, the CW and comic writers are limited in the actions they can take with certain characters that will later appear in the film timeline. Based on what was shown in the SoD series, Talzin could have killed Dooku, and Maul could have killed Grievous. Both were bait for Sidious though - that was Talzin's plan - to enact revenge on the betrayal and broken promises of Sidious. Had Dooku and Grievous been killed, Talzin and Maul may have been able to take Sidious - then we're in a whole new universe.

As to Talzin's appearance in season 6 of the CW series, that life-force she was craving from this cult could have allowed her to manifest in the physical realm before the events of SoD and given back all the power she lost - and more. I think she was always planning and plotting this revenge against Sidious and wanted all the energy she could muster.

9. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Untouchable characters and the prequel setting of the CW presents problems and annoying ones. Lucas' OKing Maul's return had to have been for greater purpose something other than simply ratings or a cool factor. Maul appears to be like an almost Anakin like figure, he too has this great destiny, he suffers a near death encounter and overcomes his handicap and rises to be more powerful than ever, both have cybernetics, both being as powerful or more powerful potentially than Sidious and Yoda. Sidious' line about Anakin being more powerful than himsef or Yoda once Sidious was fleeing from Yoda and cornered and challenged at the office. And also Luke, Talzin saves Maul like Kenobi did Luke onboard the Death Star, she's also like Kenobi in this series by appearing here and there in spirit form to aid and give advice. Was Lucas attempting changing his storylines, was he attempting to create a 3rd faction or a lightside turn for Maul? As of now we got nothing but a cliffhanger end of a very pissed off Maul and Mandalorians still ready for war, there is no conclusion.

In ROTS Sidious speaks of a war without end if any Jedi survive Order 66 and the temple , so this would apply to Maul. In issue 1 Sidious makes the following admission:

By issue 4 he thinks since Talzin is destroyed Maul's future is "erased". But this is an obvious blunder and an attempt to save face in front of Dooku, as they all failed in destroying both Maul and Talzin together and a further mistake in believing that since Talzin is dead that Maul and his forces are somehow utterly incapable of posing a threat. The Black Sun and Pykes, once they change leaders again or through fear, they can coaxed back into the Shadow Collective or Maul and simply build upon the remnants of the CIS who Sidious betrayed and murdered in ROTS, and plus/or other separatists that were against both the CIS and Republic or even further anti-Imperial former pro Republican loyalists. I see the playing field that much more greater for Maul as now, Sidious does not control both sides of the staged conflict which was only designed for him to sneak into office and wipe out the jedi in some grand all in one shot which evidently he had failed in doing. And even if Maul loses Mandalore, he is a Sith, he can simply wait and start out again fresh and pool together another great force as this galaxy is a wreak and ripe for pickings against the Empire and Sidious.

Sidious and Vader creating a darkside army of Inquisitors is also an act of desperation as much as self survival. They both wanted Luke cause he would've been a powerful asset, otherwise he's a threat to them both. So that opens a few doors as well.

Ventress is a good a candidate for Maul to take as an apprentice she was a Sith acolyte and she was made a full fledge member of the Nightsisters with whatever significance that is remains to be seen. She however becomes lost and alone once Talzin vaporizes, she becomes a bounty hunter and later grows her hair shedding her Sith ways but apparently still carries a red lightsaber(does she make it herself as her originals were stolen by Bariss).

Alec was 61 or 62 years old during the making of the first Star Wars, but he looked twice his age as he did not stay fit and his health was not that of an athlete or someone with genetics that aged more gracefully. There is always jokes about Kenobi even being a boozer. So I think his look should not make us judge characters on their age. Then Lucas has a human like Dooku who must be in his late 70's or 80 years old(like Lee was in 2002) and fighting like he was in his 30's(through cgi and stunt double), I guess the point was also the same for Yoda and Palpatine/Sidious(same cgi and stunt actor). Plus Maul is not human but Zabrak and a Dathomirian he may age much more gracefully and slower than anything we know. But age to a Jedi or Sith, they can use the force to alter on a limited basis nature which eventually they all will grow old and die. But yeah and old fart Maul would be retarded I think. Part of the problem with Vader in the OT was that the actor wore this ungainly costume, he was portrayed as muscle bound and the fighting style of the OT is no where near the same as that of PT which was further enhanced with more elaborate circus like stunts and cgi. If Grievous is moving around with lightning speed and he had more body missing and was not a force sensitive . Vader should been moving like Maul or Grievious as well but he becomes more a joke with that silly Frankenstein monster walk at the end of ROTS which is basically trying to slow Vader we see in the OT. I think there was some book on Darth Vader which attempted to show that Sidious deliberate trapped him in this slow moving body and made unnecessary adjustments by trapping him behind his helmet.

I dont buy the iron lung issue, as both Kenobi and Anakin-Vader shouldve been dead soon as they stepped foot outve their ship on Mustafar, same with Padme. The Volcanic gases would kill them. Vader lost below his knees and an arm below the elbow and suffered from some bad burns but nothing otherwise that effected his lungs and major organs. The lightsabers cauterized the wounds which prevented major blood lose. Grievious and Maul had injuries worse but their cybernetics and will power they moved just as well as they did before if not somewhat better. Maul though greater strength through the force by creating a force makeshift legs. Vader just laid on his belly and dragging himself screaming " I hate you", he did not levitate himself off the ground or gather rocks to form any kinda leg devices to carry and support his weight. Maul is considerably more powerful than Vader.

10. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Something tells me, this will happen again ;

LittleDefel likes this.
  11. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Terry Brooks' novelization was quite excellent and superior to the movie and even made me like the movie more. And it had already captured Maul's skill, intelligence and prowess and enhances what we saw in the movie. So Maul was never just one dimensional, I do not know where the CW writers would get that idea as many of us were familiar with the novelization and EU for quite some time. We had also Star Wars: Darth Maul which was probably the best Darth Maul story and art around, and it came out around the same time the movie and novel came out. Also liked the novel cause it described the importance of Jinn's duel, he was a veteran fighter and one of the best swordsman and second only to Yoda. Jinn has a respect for the dark warrior he was facing, you kinda get that impression when Jinn described his attacker in the movie by saying, "he was well trained in the Jedi arts".

Barriss_Coffee and cwustudent like this.
  12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm going to play devils advocate here but, this is why I was against Maul's resseurection. TPM novel along with the Darth Maul prequel novel and Dark Horse's comic made Darth Maul the vicious shark hunter that we knew. Yeah, he supposedly died at the end by getting cut in half, but it felt complete. Now we bring him back and the way that he surived really changes the way we look at the force. All those stories and now we have this unknown super force power were Maul gets cut in half and falls forever, but somehow survives. Vader could not do that at the end of ROTS and the Emperor could not levitate when being thrown by Vader. Mother Talzoin also represents a big change as this changes the way we look at how the force. Now we add Mortis and the Yoda arc with those force priestess and that force weel spring and we get a big jerky here.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  13. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Yea, well I tend agree to a point. I do think there is obvious issues with the writing and storytelling as I've said before. If they brought him back to honor the character or bringing him back to just use as a plot device just inserts a level of disrespect towards the character and characterization we're familiar with where he'd suffer from typical serialized villain character, constantly being twarted and losing. This humanity side is an interesting angle if done right, but done wrong they make him look like a weakling. We could be having different writers throwing things in as what we saw on CW does not exactly match up that closely and tie Talzin and Opress angle I do not feel was adequately explained.

We have no idea whose ideas were being inserted and changes they made or Lucas wanted changed possibly at the last minute after watching test reels or whatever. Plus if writers have a poor understanding or a dislike of the character they do pretty much what they like. But the writers know what they're doing, respect and understand the character and respect the fans as well, then they can turn out a good storyline.

The thing with me is Talzin, Opress and Maul's relation is not well written and its never explained along as this story did not really tie up loose ends but opened up more questions.

Did Talzin prefer to let Maul live in exile to spare him further injury? She has this love for Maul and protection but 12 or whatever years is a long time to wait to finally rescue him from a tortuousness existence in exile. Was she angry at Maul for being stolen away or going with Sidious, she apparently either had no choice but to give him to Sidious, or Sidious kidnapped him, or Sidious asked the boy. They never say which. Kenobi made a point that the darkside wasnt chosen by Maul but by the Nightsisters for him, boys mean nothing to them. For a second the episode implied Maul sorta agreed but then quickly angrily rejected Kenobi trying to sway him to the goodside and quickly took it out Satine make himself feel evil again,lol. So was Talzin forced under clan comity or begrudgingly obeyed the tradition of the clan and gave him up to Sidious and told them to go. From the way SOD is written, Talzin appears to longed for her son to return to her but the main issue she appears angry mainly over Sidious discarding her son and not rescuing him or going back to even check if he was alive or dead - and to a lesser extent than the stealing( or taking away) her son and training him instead of her as they were apparently partners of some kind. Maul has this great potential which was stolen by Sidious once he replaced him. This is really the major drive of SOD.

How did her crystal ball work? She apparently kept track of him through her crystal ball but never acted. Why there is no explanation to this. It is never explained why she waited all those years to find him, whether by herself, or sent someone like Opress. 12 years later is a very long time to wait and during that time Maul went mad and madder as years went by. She has some talisman which was empowered by the powers of the Nightsisters according to Talzin, so if she had this Talisman all these years or could come up with it overnight, then why wait? She never informed Opress who looks quite young and some low level warrior, hey you have potential now lets go find your brother.

She waited all those years and did nothing. Ventress drops outve the sky one day after 25-30 years or so, she tells Ventress to go select the strongest Nightbrother, she so happens to single out Opress and Feral who just so happen to be brothers and brothers of the long dead Sith Lord Darth Maul and so happen to survive the longest in the crucible . Ventress brings him back, Talzin likes his build and admires his masculinity, she mutates into a slave beast that apparently her magiks can mimic the natural force where it can fool a veteran former Jedi master and Sith Lord. Dooku uses Opress to be his new acolyte, which am sure Talzin knows that would to kill Jedi. The Jedi show up and demand Talzin give him up or his location, she faintly and passively tries to deny her involvement but quickly gives in and rats him out. She then orders Ventress to speed up the plan, Ventress says Opress is not ready yet, but Talzin insists he must be. She does not inform her Jedi are now involved and that she ratted Opress out to them and potentually even Ventress will be walking into a Jedi attack plus Dooku. If Ventress and two of her best Nightsisters just recently failed to kill Dooku, then what makes her think this artificial 3-6 month trained Sith apprentice and Ventress can all of a sudden accomplish this ?! Her goals are unclear. Talzin was acting under some ruse and of one time Dooku did her a favor and she's returning a favor. Dooku speaks of some past Sith and Nightsister alliance but Dooku clearly did not know about Sidious and Talzin until SOD #1 and then her relationship to Maul being her son.

Savage survives his encounter with Dooku, he breaks free of Ventress' control and Talzin's spell (both of which did not seem planned by anyone) and fights past both Kenobi and Skywalker(for the 2nd time). He returns to Dathomir, unsure of his purpose and is now a fugitive from both the Sith and the Jedi. Talzin now all of a sudden comes up with Maul and tells Savage of his long lost brother, which surprises him as he himself knew only of all his kin being dead. He goes searching for Maul, and grows tired of searching and thinks he comes to dead end which was possibly orchestrated in his mind by Talzin( "Talzin betrayed me") to just send him away on some wild goose-chase across the otherwise of the Galaxy to get rid of him or set up to die alone who knows what deal. Opress was not aware of Talzin being his blood mother.

Talzin only seemingly realizes who Opress was once he returned back to Dathomir blame she whips out the talisman and sends him to go fetch her prized son, who apparently at this point in the story, would complete Savage's training and together they'll destroy all their enemies. She never talked to Maul in the toon and Savage and her never had any schemes together. Maul and Savage were making it up as they went along with Maul focused only on beating an humiliate Kenobi as payback starters. Talzin's schemes ended up pitting Ventress against Maul and Opress, what if she killed one of the two brothers, what would Talzin do?! LOL Its like the writers were throwing crap in and making it up as they went along and tried doing some retconning to glue it together at the end. Really only by the Vizla episode you get a sense that Maul wants to killed all their enemies and has it in for Dooku and Sidious(cause he refers to Dooku as a Sith pretender) but you have to draw that conclusion yourself because Vizla was expecting to hear Maul would be willing to kill his enemy Dooku who just told him was a Sith. The toon never had Opress and Maul talking about their former masters or Opress really wanting revenge on Dooku, this seems like the writers forgot about it. Soon as gold comes into the picture they made Opress money hungry where they have that little fight for dominance and pack leader.

I do not like how the handled Opress, there is also no mention of him in SOD. I suspect that the artists or writers tried working something in with some of the Mando's sporting Opress's pattern colors but there is otherwise no mention not even by Talzin. But whether this was part of Feloni's or the Darkhorse team's doing like some easter egg fan service I dont know or if it was just an artists fluke. I think this character was very poorly handled and discarded, whether you agreed or liked the character or not, I would still say they shouldve handled his exist in a more satisfactory manner and just this, " hey we got Maul, you're cheap imitation and gone" sorta thing. I think the character had potential, however I never liked the frankenstein steroid magik angle to this character, seemed like a reapp stupid childish way of introducing a powerful warrior out of nowhere in the middle of the series. The backstory couldve been a lot better.

I think Talzin could have walked up to Dooku and killed him herself with Ventress at her side and the mutated Opress or an army of them and slew him on Serreno or overpowered Dooku and drained him dathomir as he arrived there what appeared to be alone to talk to Talzin. He did not have his guard up or suspect that ventress was related to the Nightsisters or any relationship to her or more importantly, between Sidious' dealings with Talzin and how they went south by Sidious' doing.

I really do not know what to make of the writers narrative. I would also be interested in learning about Opress's original storyline before it was changed once Maul was Oked. I think the Maul arc suffers from conflicting storytelling and production and post production changes.

A lot of people speculated Maul survived much like Fett and somewhat the Emperor after we watched these movies for the first time and expected sequels during the days before the internet or what the internet currently is now. Also many of us played 1997's Jedi Knight II and Maw surived his injuries which were pretty much the same as Maul's. I think we anticpate a return of Maul as much as Fett.

14. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    Vorax man you hit it on the mark, I couldn't have said this better myself.

Vorax likes this.
  15. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Or Maul becomes Vader's apprentice.

Either way, we'll be seeing Vader and Maul together at some point.

16. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    The Ventress novel's plot synopsis was revealed a number of days ago, but does not sound like Maul is involved, least directly less he shows up at the end:

http://dorksideoftheforce.com/2014/08/21/del-reys-asajj-ventress-novel-synopsis-revealed/

17. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    DanielUK

No way, Maul has threatened Sidious's plans and even he said he become a rival. Maul beats Vader in a fair fight imo, and Vader has limited vision as a apprentice if you compare it with Maul's... Also Vader's dark side dedication is not enough to compete with Maul's...

18. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    I just read the issue.

So.

Umm.

Now I'm more confused on what's up with Talzin. Was she dead the whole time? Why does she hate Sidious so much? Yeah he took her baby Maul, but there has to be more.

I really hope Marvel is cool and starts a Clone Wars comic book series where every 5 or so issues is an arc that was going to be in the show. It could last them for a good while and make many a fans happy (as well as close out plot holes because of the cancellation.) Maybe if each arc is 5 issues they can include some flashbacks as well to things like Maul's abduction or Barriss' fall etc. and fully explain what's up with that.

19. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    They discuss it in a previous issue, Sidious and Talzin shared their respective magicks and darkside knowledge. Sidious was going to make her his right hand, but betrayed her. He also took her son as an apprentice, only to leave him to die on Naboo. Sidious also ordered Dooku to kill Ventress, one of her Nightsisters. He killed Savage. He was equally behind the massacre on Dathomir as well. I'd say she had plenty of just cause for a vendetta.

Talzin wasn't dead, she was weakened by using magicks and her own life-force energy to resurrect Maul. In later CW episodes, she was living between the physical and spirit realms via spirit ichor because she could not fully manifest her physical self.

20. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    This little comic book arc was very important and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it was just as important as the bonus stuff that was released. I can see why they wanted this story told at least in comic book form. Would it had been better in animated form? Yep, but it didn't happen that way. Finally having a chance to read the last issue, it was awesome to see the old Darth Maul ship and to see it use its cloaking device. I think it was only one other time in the entire Dark Horse comic book stretch had we ever seen a ship cloak/become invisible.

This arc in many ways changes things....we know that Opress and Maul are brothers, Talzin is Maul's mother, but is she also Ventresses mother too? Does that make Maul and Ventress brother and sister? Both appear to be following an ironic path as they are both masterless. These were minor observations that I made and this whole thing about Maul being erased as a threat. That could imply and leave him lying around out there for a while never again to threaten Sidious the way he did. Him being alive does open possibilities that are different than what we had before. At the same time, this arc which compared to the netflicks televised bonus content may not appear as much, but really does some EU crushing changes. Litterly this crushes chuncks of prior clone war material 1.0 and while that was relegated to legends status it still does a recking number. Within the framework of TCW, Darth Maul displayed the sith version of suriviving life from a possible death. Anyone that can get hacked in two, fall down a shaft and survive like that has got to be powerful and like I said Vader survived but not in the fashion shown in TCW with Maul, and the Emperor may have been all powerful but when he was thrown down the shaft, my boy did not levitate up.

All this time, we looked at the Ones from Mortis, or the Force Priestess from the Yoda arc, and evven Mother Talzoin, but we never truly looked at Maul's ability and while Talzoin would kick in and help him get himself all back together, the fact that he survived is impressive by standards. In the old canon style, I'd say that Maul was able to learn from Darth Addendu life essence transfer/preservation and stuff like that or something.

Though I wish the series first of all was not cancelled in the first place, then I wish this was animated, then well we got this comic book arc, all I can say is that its a pretty intense important story in TCW and I am happy that we at least got it in some form or another. Better to know about it than to never see it at all. Thats my saying.

DanielUK likes this.
  21. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    "They'll be after us both now" said kenobi, which was never explored. Ventress seemed forgotten about through the rest of the storyline with Maul/Savage. You would think Talzin wouldve brought them together to set aside their differences and unite, they have more reason to be allies than enemies anyway. Ventress was being petty and thought she could take Savage by seeking a vengeful bounty. But as Obi Wan said, they were out matched which means superior to your rival or opponent. The Sith Brothers were pretty unbeatable, whether alone or together.

DanielUK likes this.
  22. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    vong333

You make some excellent points, especially how the Sith survive almost near certain deaths. The old EU did a good job in explain how Sith Lords could almost cheat death and survive, even if their bodies were broken. TCW did a great credit to Maul, especially primarily focusing on how much of a powerful Sith Lord he was; I do wonder if he will appear in Rebels. Filoni might be tempted to have his fate dealt with offscreen or leave it for a spin-off movie. Whatever happens, Maul's story needs a strong and decisive ending.

vong333 likes this.
  23. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    Maul is a formidable adversary for both the light and the darkside. I am glad he returned, and equally happy that this arc was at least put in comic form. As part of the CW, these comics are the first of the new canon comics, aren't they? I do hope we get to see a Maul movie, great potential still exists for the character.

I am curious about the Nightsister / Nightbrother relationships, but since the series never covered all of them in depth, I think its safe to assume that Savage and Ventress were not Talzin's children. The comic clearly establishes Maul is her son, but that's it. The series describes Maul and Savage as brothers, but I have always questioned that. Talzin never treated him the way she did Maul, and apparently she made no mention of his death. Savage always felt like a pawn to get her true son back, Maul.

Marco1907 likes this.
  24. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    I do not disbelieve Opress was Maul's biological brother, just that they didnt tell the story clearly or adequately. it is nice if the writers know it in their minds, but without a cohesive storyline, it lives the view shaking their head which is not good. You have to give the audience something not live their for a year or 10 years wondering. With Talzin, I think the reasoning is Opress was not a natural force wielder, so she did not consider him worthy of her attention, as he was nothing special which is basically the writers admittance later to Maul with Savage saying he was not like him, and was unworthy. The writers created the still yet to explain magik to create the articial Savage Opress mutant beast which is able to harness the force and fool Jedi and Sith alike. Opress's transformed eyes are those of a fully immersed darkside force wielder, the "Sith Eyes".

Savage must've been self aware shortly after he broke the Nightsister spell bound magik, as he acts independent and has memories. Even when he first awakened Savage was hesitate to kill Ferel, so not sure what the writers were trying to convey other than he was strong willed and trying to resist the dark magik and evil commands or their was good inside him yet or both but the darkside overwhelmed him. She has a motherly bond with Ventress as well but Ventress is a natural force wielder. Talzin's powers are never explained how she can live in the spirit realm and live long past conventional mortality. I guess Talzin needs sex like any other woman, so once in a while she mates with a male and her male children go to the Nightbrothers like the rest which apparently she has only males. She even brushed her hand over the chair Anakin was sitting on like she was attracted to him or sense or knew something of his true nature and future.

That said she did show affection to Opress when he returned to her, she gave him some healing calm speak and sent him to find Maul, and together these two would start a war which will change the face of the galaxy together. And Maul was completely his training both mentally and physically. Maul and Opress' created such a riple in Sidious's plans he was forced to show himself and had to divert Republic and CIS forces together to smash Maul and his army.

Also Brother viscous in "Witches of the Mist" didnt seem like he cared about the Nightsisters or Talzin:

He seemed to had contempt for the women. In SOD Brother Viscus is a loyal servant of Talzin's like he was very intimate knowledge of her rather than some aloof rival clan leader and ruler.

The Shadow Emperor and DanielUK like this.
  25. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    *My fault meant , needed to fix this, hate typing.

As seen in "Witches of the Mist" at the end, Talzin puts her hand on Savage's face and then chest like she's feeling his heart . Then during that scene there is female angelic gregorian chant orchestra playing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]