main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by newdawn12, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    These people dubbed the comic in audio, came out good:

2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Yes! I'd absolutely love to see that.

Maul would destroy the Inquisitor.

My fear, though, is a character like Maul (who is very dark) might not appear in Rebels or, if he did, the show might absolutely ruin his character.

Vorax likes this.
  3. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    yea, would suck. I doubt Maul will make an appearance in the 1st season but you never know. I am trying to withhold absolute judgment of Rebels until I watch the TV movie and whole season. But if Stormtroopers do not die and stuff like, where if its like a really light retro or child's action cartoon that it would turn me away from the show and Disney.

4. The Shadow Collective

The Shadow Collective Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 21, 2013

Yeah this was exactly my thoughts, his too dark a character to fit into the lighter childish tone of Rebels, and if they were to tone him down to fit in, he would be ruined.

You know what i would absolutely love to see in a movie or something, would be the scenario when two enemies have to team together to survive and/or defeat and even greater foe, the two enemies being... Maul & Kenobi! I would love to see, after everything they've done to each other, to be forced to either team up or face death, to rely on each other and work as a team. I think under the right circumstances Maul would likely be more willing to try than Kenobi but they would make an immense team if ever possible.

Marco1907 likes this.
  5. The Shadow Collective

The Shadow Collective Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 21, 2013

With all this talk about Talzin being really ancient and the one who Sidious originally sought out to gain power from, it makes me think back to the rumored possibilities of Talzin being the original 'Mother' from the Ones of Mortis. It would explain her extreme power of the force and her connection to the spirits - also could the Spirit realm she inhabits have some connection to Mortis?
    Plus it would make sense for her to encourage her Nightsisters to pray to what they call the 'Fanged God' & 'Winged Goddess' because she knows for a fact that they exist as they are her ancient children from a time long past. As to why she no longer resides with them, who can know for sure.

I know Abeloth was supposedly the Mother, but she was only ever said to have been a mother figure to complete the family, but she was after all originally mortal and became a corruption because of her mortality, she was never really one of them. She was more like a stand-in long after the original Mother - possibly Talzin - had left them for whatever reason.

Vorax likes this.
  6. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Its interesting to speculate about Talzin's history, as SoD only gave us bits and pieces. There is a Nightsister connection to Mortis in the CW, EU, and Book of Sith - but whether Talzin is / was the mother in that family equation has yet to be seen.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Elder_gods

7. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Yes, pretty much where I think. Would be interesting and could explain why Maul and The Son were voiced by the same guy and looked similar. The Son had White skin like Talzin, and Talzin uses the same finger to forehead technique The Father used on Anakin. The Son also used the Sith Empire symbol.

There is a yin and yang symbolism present with the Sith Empire logo in the center:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_Empire

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Perhaps The Father was the first Sith, the banished Jedi Master talked about in the Darth Maul journal? Maybe the years softened him, don't know. But Maul's obsession with Jinn in the journal looked imitated for his TCW Kenobi obsession, so I think the writers were skimming through it. plus they had direct access to Lucas himself.

I had posted this once before, the actress that voiced Talzin had a few years back confirmed she was playing her as an immortal:

http://barbaragoodson.com/dathomir_interview.php

8. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Hey, thanks!

That was fun, and, as you say, it really did come out alright.

My mostly minor constructive criticism would be that I thought the reading of both Maul and Sidious had its ups-and-downs. That perhaps some of the passages for these two were read too much like this: ["Grr!!!"], in spots, when maybe it wasn't necessarily demonstrated to be written that way in the comic. It had the unintended effect of taking me out of the moment, now and again. But otherwise, not bad.

And whoever was doing Dooku was just terrific. I mean, talk about having the character (and the voice) down pat. For an amateur reading, I thought this was really well done.

Overall, the sound effects; the addition of music; all of it contributed to my enjoyment of the video.

==================

So, I opened the link in YT and saw that the same person was reading both Maul and Sidious. Again, I think if he had just toned it down a tad in some places, approached certain lines with a bit more subtlety, a more deft hand (rather than what - at times - felt to me more like a sledgehammer), the whole thing might have been spectacular.

As it stands, though, I still found it terrifically entertaining, and I really hope to see the rest of the story tackled in a similar fashion, as well.

Thanks again, Vorax, for the head's-up.

Vorax likes this.
  9. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Talzin's shrine is dedicated and surrounded by this goddess motif:

[​IMG]

Reminds me of Ventress from the micro series:

[​IMG]

Cevan and The Shadow Emperor like this.
  10. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I thought it looked like an evil version of Satine...

[​IMG]

...but I like yours better. :p

Vorax likes this.
  11. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I am really impressed, that was pretty cool especially for a fan production. I look forward to the next part. Does it make it better that we have some version of a production now, or does it sting more that they did not officially produce?

12. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Little bit of both am sure.

Am wondering if there is a connection to the Moraband Serpents as Ventress appears to be sporting one on her bounty hunter armor:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The banished Jedi Master talked about in the Maul journal is Darth Ruin. The TPM novelization explains that Ruin was banished from the Jedi for his belief in the dark side, and then he founded the Sith to get revenge. He was ultimately assasinated by a bunch of his Sith apprentices.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He wasn't so much "banished" as "chose to walk away":

The Sith had come into being almost two thousand years ago. They were a cult given over to the dark side of the Force, embracing fully the concept that power denied was power wasted. A rogue Jedi Knight had founded the Sith, a singular dissident in an order of harmonious followers, a rebel who understood from the beginning that the real power of the Force lay not in the light, but in the dark. Failing to gain approval for his beliefs from the Council, he had broken with the order, departing with his knowledge and his skills, swearing in secret that he would bring down those who had dismissed him.
    He was alone at first, but others from the Jedi order who believed as he did and who had followed him in his study of the dark side soon came over. Others were recruited, and soon the ranks of the Sith swelled to more than fifty in number.

The name Darth Ruin first appeared in an EU source though - along with the notion that he was the "first of the Lost Twenty".

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Ruin

cwustudent and darklordoftech like this.
  15. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    DanielUK likes this.
  16. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Whow Vorax,

thanks for this Fan-Art-animated SoD-Comic. When even the first part is already 14 minutes long while just read out the comic plus some amazing sounds, can you imagine how much time such a really professionally animated arc would consume in TCW? Well, that could fill surely one hour.

BTW: Yesterday I saw the abbreviated name of an organization on a building "SoVD". And I thought instantly: The V is surely to much.

Vorax likes this.
  17. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    "Sacrifice" in the TCW missed an opportunity to bring in other Sith Lords during Yoda's trial.

Vorax and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Yes they did wish rev an was a ghost I don't care that he "turned" back to the light.

19. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    It's funny how Star Wars has a way of seeping itself into every nook and cranny of our minds, huh? :D

20. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    We got the Death Eaters, I mean Sith Specters . The black smoke that seaps out've them looks like the same effect of the exorcised madness or demons Talzin was pulling out of Maul to heal his mind and body.

Probably not a coincidence Malfoy will be voicing the Inquisitor nor Smeagol has ended up in SW as we had Gollum Yoda in the same arc:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Were the Sith Specters apart of the illusions by the Five Priestesses? From what I've read about that episode, there is some debate whether or not the Specters and Darth Bane were after all.

22. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    I really don't think they were, but some do.

Darth Bane looks to have been originally given Sith eyes and brandishing a Lightsaber pike with a blade more akin to the Darksaber. Curiously for the pike there is mention of 'Sith Warrior' not Bane or Sith Lord, so I wonder if originally these were supposed to be temple guards but they liked the design so much they made it for a unique look of just one character.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014

Or maybe?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cevan and Iron_lord like this.
  24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    After two thousand years, events will have been obscured a bit. And it makes sense for the Sith to paint the Jedi in the worst possible light.

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    There's also the fact that Sidious could have lied to Maul, plus I doubt the TPM journals were a priority for continuity.