main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir #1-4

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BoromirsFan, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    You pose an interesting question, we see the green spirit ichor mist, which is the basis for Nightsister power transforming objects and individuals; and we see the same being taken from beings on Bardotta by the cult, in order to give to the Great Mother (Talzin). Its possible that the living Force and spirit ichor are one in the same. Just as magicks and Force powers can be seen as one in the same. So is the essence of the living Force the combined souls / energy of all the individuals that make up the cosmic Force? Its possible. Perhaps the soul is similar to a Force Ghost though, in the sense that it retains individuality. When that ghost ceases to manifest, perhaps it transitions into pure living Force and adds to the overall cosmic Force...

2. DoubleSith

DoubleSith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2002
    According to Filoni, Lucas said that the Nightsisters' magicks and the Force are unrelated concepts. That's never outright stated onscreen though, so my own headcanon is that they're different facets of the same mystery.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Where did Filoni say that?

4. DoubleSith

Feb 5, 2002
    Weekly Forcecast, week of April 15, 2011. The discussion starts at about 19:03 minutes in.

Filoni himself personally believes that there is a connection there somewhere, so I think he left it kind of open to interpretation.

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Interesting... I learn something every day.

6. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    I don't recall that, as a matter of fact a Starwars.com article says completely the opposite. "The Nightsisters still live on Dathomir and they still possess mysterious Force skills, now called magicks." The magicks they use are derived from spirit ichor, which is part of the Force. They've fumbled this area a number of times though, its a bit of a mystery to LFL as well apparently, lol.

7. DoubleSith

Feb 5, 2002
    You can listen to Filoni himself talk about it in the podcast I posted above.

8. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    I probably heard it when it was originally released, as I used to listen to that podcast when CW was on the air. Its not that I don't believe that you heard that, its simply that things may have evolved in the years since. Likewise, much about Dathomir is rather convoluted, as we'll have multiple LFL sources saying different things about the planet and its culture. Perhaps it will rest in mystery, unless a tv show, movie, etc clearly defines everything. I have a feeling that Dathomir and Mortis will remain mysterious and unanswered though.

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Or maybe starwars.com didn't communicate with GL and it's as simple as that.

10. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

If you see the Mortis Monolith as some sort of ancient Force Temple (a la the Illum temple in TCW, the Temple on Lothal in Rebels, and the Dagobah cave temple in ESB), and everything happening within as a sort of communal and self-reinforcing ritual/Cave Vision (which didn't necessarily need the Father, Son or Daughter to represent actual historical personages any more than just being mythical symbols) there's not really too much left to 'answer', apart from some of the intended meaning of the symbolism - which is likely left intentionally up in the air.

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Well George does not matter anymore

So...

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    unless Story Group allows George to matter

13. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    Hey now - George will always matter, he is the creator of the SW universe, but now there are many other writers in the mix and his views might be altered or evolving.

I personally believe that everything is connected - Mortis, Sith, Jedi, Nightsisters - all their knowledge and power is derived from the same thing - the Force. The CW helped show us that there are many mediums in using the Force.

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Mother_Talzin I want a Talzin novel explaining her motives, plans, and her history with Sidious.

15. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Where we learn her first name is Sheevette...

DelRiego and darklordoftech like this.
  16. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Hmm. It would be interesting if Dooku helped Talzin before she met Sidious or afterwards, telling her that together they could topple Sidious.

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    or that her name is Talzin Opress

I wonder how old Talzin is. Was she around in Darth Bane's day?

darskpine10 likes this.
  18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I was hoping there would be a connection between Mother Talzin and Mortis. Considering her voice effect, the missing Mortis family member, and how powerful Talzin is, it made a lot of sense to me and seemed like a cool way to tie together my 2 favorite Clone Wars stories. Maybe sometime down the line?

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked the EU's take on the deities of the Nightsisters (in Book of Sith)- The Fanged God and the Winged Goddess - which look identical to the "beast forms" of the Son and Daughter.

Book of Sith blended EU content and TCW very well IMO.

Jedi Knight Fett and darkspine10 like this.
  20. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    Well, she was considered the Great Mother to at least one cult, and was followed by Nightsisters and Nightbrothers, so perhaps she is close to deity level. Were she the Mother in the Mortis family structure, it would be a great twist in the understanding of Force sensitive beings. The Father and Daughter leaned to the light side, while the Son focused on the dark. If balance exists, that would have the Mother as a practitioner of the darkside as well...

darskpine10 likes this.
  21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I was thinking that too. Mortis also has green mist and Son and Maul have the same voice actor. Is it really a coincidence that Father summoned Anakin right after Savage Opress entered the picture?

Darkslayer and darskpine10 like this.
  22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I never noticed that, good thinking!:)

Sudooku and darklordoftech like this.
  23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I would've loved it if it had turned out Talzin was the Mortis Mother after the release of Apocalypse, but before the Legends announcement. Because then they would've had to scrabble to retcon Talzin into being some kind of avatar for Abeloth, or Abeloth was actually Talzin all along, or something. It would've been hilarious and terrible. [face_laugh]

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Thanks!

In the season 3 days my mind was full of possibilities. Could Son be connected to Darth Ruin? Was Maul under the same spell in TPM that Savage is put under at the end of "Monster"? Is Talzin with or against Sidious?

Darkslayer likes this.
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

I don't think so because A. Maul is Talzins Son B Maul is not all bulky like Savage.