main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by newdawn12, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    It's a pity we have to wait until May for this, I'm really looking forward to the end of Maul's story arc. Can't wait to see Maul and Talzin, and Viscus too.

2. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Didn't Filoni say the comics won't be the series' finale?..

3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Not the series finale, but the MAUL story arc finale (so far as I understand it).

4. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Then shouldn't this thread title be changed?

Obimus Primobi likes this.
  5. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes, it's quite misleading!

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    And maybe not even that, if what Filoni's said on the matter is any indication.

Technically this is a Lit topic anyway. But since it deals a lot more directly with the show than previous comics, I'll leave this thread open for now, as well as change the title.

EHT, Trebor Sabreon and Atantiabo like this.
  7. Darth Wookiee

Darth Wookiee Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    Why is the summary, now maul is working for Talzin making some criminal army?

Didn't he literally just do that and THEN get captured by SIDIOUS?

Watto likes this.
  8. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Maul will kill ahsoka, Anakin will blame the Jedi , Anakin will murder Maul and continue his path to the darkside.

cwustudent, Zer0, KED12345 and 2 others like this.
  9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

That would be awesome

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  10. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    That's exactly how I felt when I read that, hopefully they make it interesting and not just a repeat. I'm not convinced that this article presented the information accurately though considering the confusion it started calling it the Series Finale. Another inaccuracy-- they say Brother Viscus is a new character. He was in the Nightsisters arc in Season 3, so that is garbage also.

11. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    While some of the plot points do seem similar, I don't think Maul's main goal after escaping his prison would necessarily change. He always wanted to build a criminal empire in the Outer Rim that would be able to compete against both the Republic and the CIS, a third faction that could potentially be a spanner in the works for Sidious' Grand Plan. Of course, now Maul might well go on some Roaring Rampage of Revenge, but he's no one-man army. The Maul from the EU before the events of TPM might think himself one, but after being brought low so thoroughly by Sidious that he was reduced to begging for his life, I would think Maul realizes the need for backup if he ever wanted to face Sidious again and achieve a different outcome. Perhaps that's why he chooses to seek out Mother Talzin and the Nightbrothers; maybe he believes he'd be able to even the scales using some of Talzin's magicks?

In any case, I'm of the belief that they will end his story here, once and for all. And hopefully this time he goes out without looking like a total coward (even though I appreciated the ending scene of The Lawless because it revealed the fear inherent in the deepest, darkest recesses of a dark sider's heart). And if they should kill him off, he needs his head cut off or completely disintegrated to ensure that he is dead for real this time. Please, no cliffhangers about him potentially surviving because there is no body shown...

Or they might save him for future stories by freezing him in carbonite or something. :p

Edit: Still hoping to learn that Sidious' "other plans" for Maul involve experiments (not totally unlike what Plagueis did to Venamis) to determine how Maul was able to cheat death...he was after all, "surprised" that Maul could survive his injuries.

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, that's what I had thought Sidious was probably alluding to.

Mia Mesharad and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  13. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    The main biggie for Maul surviving is his severed abdominal aorta. If he somehow used the force to pinch it shut, or reached into his severed guts and tied it off with his own hands as he fell, while still having time left to grab something and break his fall, that removes the biggest "believability hurdle" in the story of his survival. Everything after that is merely unlikely, not almost impossible.

14. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013

I've actually always been very curious about this - I don't know anything about biology so I never really understood completely but I've thought, well, people are pinned between heavy things often IRL and are basically bisected by the trauma (car + tree kind of thing). I've never experienced this and hopefully never will so I don't know for sure if movies and TV portray this accurately but in many cases, they say that the moment the object is pulled away from the person, they will bleed out and die (kind of implying that if they stayed pinned for a good long time, they would survive that whole time since the object was acting as a tourniquet).

So I've often thought that because the lightsaber cauterized the entire wound, wouldn't that too be like a tourniquet keeping him from bleeding out and enabling him to survive?

Or, because the heart pumps blood out and expects it back, would you be severing a route back to the heart like cutting a wire in a circuit? If so, would blood just pump into his abdominal cavity until the body's supply ran out?

Can any biology person explain it to me???

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Long story short, the heart needs certain chambers full to make a contraction. It does that like a knee jerk reaction -- when the doctor hits that nerve below your kneecap and your lower leg jerks. The heart's pumping action happens like that. So if the blood supply to the heart is damaged and it can't refill, that won't happen and it won't pump. Which, among other things, would have happened immediately to Maul.

16. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013
    Gotcha...so he wouldn't die of internal bleeding but instead, cardiac arrest basically...and much sooner then, yes?

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Really, there's no use contemplating biology when the Force is a factor. Circulatory system shouldn't work? The Force fixed that. ;)

18. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013
    Darth Maul was a Sith Lord so powerful in such pain and so wise with such hatred he could use the Force to manipulate the midi-chorians to create life by-pass his body's natural functionalities and re-route hemorrhaging blood back to his heart to continue living. He had such a knowledge of the dark side, he could even save those he cared about from dying continue this process for over 10 years.

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah, exactly that. And since all his main nerves were fried, chances are he would have gone into shock instantly. But Todd said, it's probably a moot point.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    This was exactly my thought when I first contemplated how Maul could have survived; I figured the severe hemorrhagic shock he suffered at the moment of the bisection would have done him in seconds later. But yeah, the Force really does wonders in this case. Look at Darth Sion. By all rights they guy shouldn't even be alive...he's a walking corpse, rotting and decaying due to largely defunct internal organs even though he's still clearly alive.

More on topic, I was recently listening to the Rebels Report with Jason Fry being interviewed, and he talks a bit about TCW and Darth Maul. He mentions how there is a significant difference between reading the story of Shadow Conspiracy and seeing it play out onscreen in TCW. There's just a different atmosphere, including music, motion, etc. when watching it on the screen as opposed to reading it on the page. That's definitely something I'd miss since Maul's story will likely be finished off on the page. But at least it'll be in a comic, which is a visual medium, so that's probably better than just finishing his story in a novel. More continuity in that type of medium than in a non-graphic novel. Fry also talks about whether or not he'd like to see Maul back in Rebels, but the point is probably moot because the interview was likely recorded prior to the news of the comic coming out. Which I'm still looking forward to as much as ever!

Contessa and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  21. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    This comic throws a wrench into things. Didn't filoni say that this was four scripts? Meaning this was an arc for season 6. In this comic, we are getting already an unpublished not completed arc. So if we go by season 5 which had 20 episodes, How much do you really think may truly be released for the BC? Since that would leave 16 episodes left. (which would be short of a full season as stipulated by others). If we go with season 1-4 which had 22 episodes each then we would have 18 left., barring any other news that other material would released before the end of the year in comic form. In essence, this year alone already, we got one confirmation with a release date of a BC content. Its just that its not coming out in animated form, but comic book form. So we know of one arc already.

22. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    For me, I can accept Asohka leaving the order and if they leave it like that well its okay, but Maul, I'm hoping that at least this is handled. If they don't then the comic release is pointless. Why come out with something that may not continue? If Filoni had read the boards he should know that two sticking points are Talzin and Maul. Take care of that and the series kind of balances out. Even though we know that their was more planned at least we can accept this. I don't think that REbels really will cover much if any of the clone war stories. I could be wrong since not much is known, but with Disney and this show, I feel that they want to go in a new direction and create new characters not bring back or use past stuff.

23. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Well I'm really glad that the Darth Maul arc is going to wrapped up in some fashion. While I wish it could have been concluded in an animated form I have to say that this is better than it not being concluded at all.

[face_laugh]:_|[face_laugh]

24. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    All this talk of human biology may be completely irrelevant to the biology of a Zabrak. We might be wrong to assume a similar circulatory or nervous system to humans, mammals, or Earthlings in general.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought all this biology talk was pointless because the best way to survive fatal injuries was to be really, really pissed off at the person who caused them?

...or something.

Jedi_Kenobi32 likes this.