main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by newdawn12, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Or, the "canon appearance" is due to some special circumstance - which doesn't apply all the time.

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Its a planet anyway, not a small island. The CIS cant just drop 1000 or 1 million droids and claim they conquered every corner of the world. Lots of places Nightsisters and Nightbrothers couldve went into hiding.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It's possible that Viscus and the Nightbrothers moved to Iridonia and joined the Zabrak population there. Windu says that Nightbrothers often hang out on Iridonia.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

And the CIS would not have a clue as to where they went.

5. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    And there were also these Nightbrothers and -sisters who were sold into slavery or service to wealthy outworlders by Talzin herself. Like Ventress was sold to the Rattataki gangster Hal'sted. Or like Mighella, who was at the service to Alexi Garyn, Leader the Black Sun on their former headquarter at Ralltiir, before she was killed by Maul. There may be others of these Nightbro's and sis's who survived the second purge fo Grievous, Dooku and Sidious on Dathomir. Like we know from "Rebels", that other Jedi than Luke, Obi-Wan and Yoda have survived order 66.

Mother_Talzin likes this.
  6. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Yes indeed, a couple clans may have been nearly wiped out, but its a big universe. Their culture will survive, even if its dormant for awhile.

7. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

''Rogue Sith'' I guess this will be Darth Maul's fate from now on.

Sudooku likes this.
  8. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Isn't a Sith always rogue? ;) Even when his scoundreldom is hidden by velvet gloves and well-tempered behavior as in Sidious' example?

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Was about time they brought him back. But problem with bringing Maul back was that he couldnt do much as to where he belong and why within the confines of the setting between AOTC and ROTS. The writers just rushed him soon as they had access and his purpose and storyline is unclear and looks patch worked together, as it began about Ventress and ended up about Maul and somewhere in the middle was, Opress the brother.

Maul could not kill any of the main heroes or main villains of Grievious or Dooku nor defeat Sidious, heck Filoni didnt even make him kill Embo or Sugi or that Anubis dog which made his scope very limited on the show. They shouldve made him kill Yaddle or Koth, some big member never or hardly really seen again. Opress killed Gallia, but Maul needed some more kills. So he's just ends up a wildcard. I like his character more in TPM and early comics and later novels. SOD felt a lot more like the Maul we know , but am not sure whether cause it was Dark Horse writers knowing how to handle the character or the TCW writers actually where heading in the right direction returning back to the Maul we know from back in 1999. However Maul didnt kill anybody important even in that. They couldve atleast had made Maul severely near destroy Grievious to explain his different look in ROTS nothing that good and Grievous escapes unscathed a few times in the comic. We all know he wouldve been destroyed and Maul didnt use the force that much in the comic but you'd think he'd be using force crush or finally learned lightning through his mother. Darth Maul Lockdown was pretty cool, and he was brutal in that and he didnt use the force in that, just his combat skills and raw strength and determination - where he's just a killing machine.

Sudooku likes this.
  10. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    Maul killed Satine as revenge for what Obi-Wan did to him, that was a significant plot point in his storyline. He also killed Pre Vizsla in a duel to assert his dominance and control over Death Watch. There were other occasions where he used Savage as a weapon to do his bidding, when the Black Sun leadership was wiped out. Maul is a cold blooded killer, but one that makes moves as if he were playing chess - not simply brut force like Savage.

11. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    yea I understand all of that as I've said similar things in the past, but thats not really the point I was making. Pre was a pretty throw away villain and character that didnt really show up much. Satine was an unarmed opponent, only pivotal enough to have Obi Wan show some emotion and feel some pain and allow Maul some twisted revenge but he lost his brother and mother. Am concerned over where he can go from here. The confines of this timeline story, are problems. I'm not really sure what he can do during the OT timeline as the same problem exists. Unless he becomes some anti-hero or rogue Sith Master that trains an apprentice who continues the Sith legacy of Bane now that Sidious is dead(despite if he's got Imperial dark disciple). I would've liked the Darth Maul video game storyline more if it were taken place in the Legacy era or simply post ROTJ, Maul is kinda fish out've water in this CW timeline and can't really do much unless there is some reboot like continuity involved in the new movies.

Marco1907 likes this.
  12. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Well, Embo was Savage's counterpart and he has to re-shape and de-bump his shield now after Savage's heavy attacks [face_laugh]. And Sugi was to much respected by Maul than just to be killed. She was the only worthy opponent in the fighting Maul at Nal Hutta. And, most important, she knew when and how to stop and to run. And Maul respected that and let her go. Maybe the two will meet later again ;)

While when Maul said in "Eminence" to Savage that these are only bounty-hunters who don't know loyalty and thus don't deserve more persecution, he meant that they were just mercenaries, who have apparently no special reason to fight Maul and Savage except they are hired by the Hutts. So why wasting power and force upon these already fleeing mercenaries? Maybe they need their service too one time. It is also an admonition of Maul for his brother to kill or to fight only when necessary, a wisdom every sith has to learn.

I also realized that the really important enemies can't be killed by Maul. Only at a newly discovered EU-Planet like Lothal maybe. In SoD he didn't kill anybody except some droids. That reminds me of Asajj Ventress, after Ahsoka implored her not to kill the clone troopers who were sent out to get back Ahsoka into prison after the false accusation on her on having bombaded the Jedi-Temple. After Ventress kicked consciousless most of the clone-troopers she smirked at Ahsoka and said proudly: "See, I got nobody killed. Thats just my new self." Maybe Maul too has a new self now.

What makes Maul special of the Sith is his deep bond with the Death Watch. They saved him and he cares for them. I'm just reading the Darth Bane trilogy. And in the first volume "Path of Destruction", there is also such a bond between Dessel (later named Bane) and his "Twilight-squadron" at the Sith-Army. Actually he has to leave them and he prevents them from helping him after he is accused of illoyality to a really stupid order of an high-ranking lieutenant. Because he has the feeling that it wouldn't help neither him nor his squadron to rebel even more. That's why he decides to leave his beloved squadron because they are to weak and cannot help him and Sith-Training alone will free his chains of being subordinated to dumb and inept persons.

While Maul as the supreme leader of Death Watch is not subjected to such doubts because he doesn't have anybody above him. And thus he can foster that bond with Death Watch even when other Sith would say that such an alliance with weaker persons would weaken a Sith too. And in the end Maul plus Death Watch became something much bigger than both being seperated. Like the "Twilight squadron" of Bane/Dessel, which began just as an ordinary battalion which got the status of a super-commando after Bane/Dessel took leadership on it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I just read Son of Dathomir for the first time. I've got to say I loved it. However it did feel really short for 4 episodes, probably because the battles and duels were largely condensed. This is another reason I really wish that the Clone Wars hadn't had been cancelled. The show feels like it needed just a bit more time to feel complete, rounding up Maul, Rex and all the nearly made arcs.

iPodwithnomusic, Watto and Vorax like this.
  14. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I agree, it was like a short summary version of the story. The most important part of this arc were the battle scenes, but they were condensed for the comic, so we got a bit cheated. At least we got to see what happened, and really this was only one stepping stone in the continuing story since
    Maul survived.
    So I think what we can hope for is that they will do at least a few more of these unproduced arcs which will be stepping stones to something else they do in the future in actual animation to continue and possibly resolve some of the characters' stories we are looking to see. They may take it in slightly different directions from the original concept for the end of the Clone Wars series, and they may choose not to end the story for certain popular characters. I remain hopeful but not counting on anything for certain (always in motion is the future is Filoni's favorite quote).

15. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    I would love to see even the animatic for these episodes - it was such a good story, and I really want to see the final battle in something other than a comic.

16. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014

I just want to hear Talzin's amazing voice one more time....

cwustudent and Mother_Talzin like this.
  17. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    I miss her as well - she was one of the most significant manipulators / wielders of the Force in the series, right under the characters from the Mortis arc. She had a voice and presence that made those episodes all the better. I hope she returns in some form, even as a Force ghost.

18. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Especially the way her voice reverberates, as if someone else is speaking through her and we can just hear snatches of it.

19. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    The same effect was used for Darth Sidious in ROTS, the mutated Sidious of pure evil not the normal version. He had that echoing voice effect like two people were speaking at once.

Marco1907 likes this.
  20. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Ooh, you're right Vorax. I never really thought about the implications of such an effect, but they do both speak with that wierd Dark Side-Effect.

Marco1907 likes this.
  21. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Its explained as she's immortal from back in 2011(?) which turned out to be true in 2014's SOD:

http://barbaragoodson.com/dathomir_interview.php

https://fangirlsintheforce.wordpress.com/interviews-3/enter-mother-talzin-2/

She was opposite towards Maul, she threw(literately) him to safety and gave her own life for his survival.

22. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    But wait, wasn't she a spirit already? I thought that was the whole deal with her. And I thought it was something along the lines of her spirit or reincarnated self died.

God, I love this storyline, but Mother Talzin and what's up with her has always confused me so much.

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Going by the Talzin Canon article:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Talzin/Canon

bringing Maul back from his madness was what forced her to surrender her body.

24. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    Talzin was never a spirit in the sense that she was dead in the CW series, she is immortal. When she resurrected Maul, she used a great deal of her life force to do so. In order to maintain her presence, she existed between the spirit realm and the physical realm. That's why we've seen her transfer between the two in the series - she did it in multiple episodes - during the massacre on Dathomir, after building Maul his new legs, and after the brief battle with Mace Windu. As of SOD, her physical body is now dead, so she likely can only appear via spirit ichor (green mist) if she is shown again.

25. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Maul in Lawless was still trapped in his padawan state and felt Sidious his master still. The cracked state of his mind likely left his thought process messy. He was fighting with his own mind and probably why he was bi-polar unsure whether he was out for himself or to return to his former Master with the gifts of his labor in tribute:

Sidious left her alone all those years, so he must not of considered her a rival threat to him or his grand designs of Galactic Sith conquest. What is seen in SOD is now he wanted & needed to punish & eliminate her for her aiding Maul(and she possessed the ability to heal his wounded mind) and to make sure her meddling in his affairs ceased as she also had tried to kill Dooku prior to Maul's return - when she aided Ventress whom Sidious wanted destroyed for becoming a rival threat to his reign as Sith Master. So in reality she was responsible for helping two rogue threats to him. Maul's had grown significantly powerful on his own, which was something Sidious did not think possible as at first he dismissed Maul resurfacing as a danger to himself. However his meddling jeopardized his grand design, if his Shadow Collective had nurtured unscathed then the 2,000 other systems Mandalore influenced , Maul's Galactic spanning criminal Empire(which contained a large supply of soldiers and near endless supplies and resources) wouldve made the combined Separatists and Republic would be no match .

Even Yoda sensed Maul's awakening but for reasons unknown Sidious did not:

Sidious sensed the danger of Opress' strength when he looked at him in the thrown room. As Dooku had sensed the danger of Opress and the rising of something sinister(Maul). Dooku's words:

Talzin had no interest in galactic affairs prior, she even called the current Jedi and Sith war absurd and wanted Ventress to remain as a sister of Dathomir like them. Talzin had no hand to play in Maul's Shadow Collective, or his escape from the prison, Maul channels her on his own looking for guidance i.e and ally in aiding his war and the destruction of Sidious which after Sidious betraying Maul and torturing him to give up his Shadow Collective resources and bases - Sidious now has to wait for his enemies to reveal themselves to him by using Maul as live bait which itself was a gamble the entire time. Maul even said it wouldve been wiser to have killed him cause now he's out for Sidious(which was not something he was interested in prior).

Talzin has always considered Maul more important than herself:

There is apparently Nightsisters still alive :

Sudooku and Marco1907 like this.