main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by newdawn12, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Hi Vorax,

not yet. :eek: Was this from Maul's fight with Pre Vizsla?

Something else:

Today I found the German edition of SoD#1/2 in the comic-store. :) And I discovered something interesting inside I did not spot in the English edition one year ago:

In another Maul-thread I asked myself and you if Maul did tell the Death Watch about him being Sidious' former apprentice and Sidious' true identity after they retrieved him from the prison at Stygeon Prime. That would be only fair after all the Death Watch did risk for Maul.

When Maul arrived at Zanbar and met the Death Watch for the first time, he introduced himself and Savage as the only true Sith. While in SoD#2 he tells his Mandos and Ziton Moj and Five atOrd Mantell: "A battle is coming, my brothers ... a battle between the Sith and that which they fear the most ... us." So does this mean he considers himself no longer a Sith but rather a "Son of Dathomir with a Shadow Collective"?

For Talzin, who was on Maul's side in SoD, also had urged Ventress to give up the ways of the Sith. And this sentence of his in my eyes states that he revealed to his allies the true identities of Sidious and Dooku!

That would diminish the possibility he works later for Sidious again, unless there is another dramatic turn in his life we don't know yet.

The Shadow Emperor and Vorax like this.
  2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    yes, thats from the Vizla duel.

The sentence is in the American release SOD #2. By Sith he meant Sidious and Dooku. He wants to build a new order out've the Nightbrothers, maybe used them as darkside imbued warriors in the vein of Savage Opress. If Talzin killed Sidous and Dooku and absorbed their power she likely would've been able to accomplish something like that and/ or Maul would've commanded and trained the Nightbrothers in the ways of the darkside and use them and Mandalorians to conquer the galaxy.

Maul just was interested in seeing Sidious dead and his order and plans in ruin. I like how he predicted their entire battle strategy and and felt the Droid army just about to come out've hyperspace.

Stygion prison was a smaller scale version of the Citadel prison they used.

I liked how these EG-5 Jedi Hunter Saber Guard Droids were given Maul markings way before(2008) he appeared on the TCW:

[​IMG]

They should give Maul his own personal guard of EG-5 Saber Guards like this.

Sudooku likes this.
  3. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    It was my impression from "Shades of Reason" on that Maul intended to turn the Order of the Sith into a Dathomiri witch- and wizard circle after his complete victory.

4. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    I would imagine Talzin had her own deep rooted plans for Galactic conquest being that she was once allied herself with Sidious before the events of TPM( 15-25 years or so) when he was younger and searching for an apprentice or equal and apparently missing parts of his own training as he needed Talzin to teach him lost sith arts and whatever the case. Sidious's Sith sorcery in season 6 is very nightsister-like, and instead of green magik its his blue color like the sith lightning.

Guess Talzin and Maul would've ruled the galaxy as mother and son, he as a Sith Lord and her as a Nightmother and she could create a new coven and the Mandalorians and Nightbrothers would act as their army eventually.

5. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Having a circle of Dathomiri operating like the Jedi Council would be an interesting story post-ROTJ. It would be similar to having a bunch of dark Jedi keeping the peace and advising the government in power. I don't consider Nightsisters / Nightbrothers as pure evil, like the Sith - so their ways and means of operating in a republic or empire might not be scoffed at by the public.

6. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Dooku spoke of some past Sith and Nightsister alliance back in season 3(so for this former Jedi turned Sith to know about it is interesting, just how recent or old was it?), we never quite learn what that was about. Talzin and her Nightsisters remain dormant and quasi-neutral but thats not altogether true either, as she seems to use Nightsisters or Nightbrothers to barter with and hand out for a price, warriors. She just calls up Dooku out've nowhere and was like, hey heard you lost your apprentice, want a new Sith apprentice I got one for sale. Was like not much a big deal to Dooku and he was quick to take up the offer like these Nightsisters are known for their Sith apprentice candidates and such. In SOD, Maul offers Dooku a chance to join him, which is a turned around scene from AOTC when Dooku tried louring Kenobi and same thing with Vader did to Luke in ESB. Maul and Talzin, despite knowing Dooku would not consciously betray Sidious out've his fear of the master, the very existence of this offer was on the table and if things worked out differently , Maul would've been Sith Master.

We know Talzin is capable of killing Jedi, when she fought Master Windu but its unclear why she did not attempt to kill Kenobi and Skywalker whom she could have, unless she just feared a Jedi reprisals & a war with the Jedi too soon before all her plans and plans within plans were in place. She seemed to have a particular interest in Skywalker, I mean if she absorbed his lifeforce wouldnt that be enough to supercharge her?! The Nightsisters fell pretty easy to Grievous's lightsabers as the Nightbrothers fell pretty easy to Dooku later on for much the same reason and his use of the Force - so its not likely Nightsisters(or Nightbrothers) would be a match for Jedi in any sorta open war, especially with their lack of lightsabers and complete use of the force. Only Maul and Ventress were completely Force sensitive and Talzin apparently and Savage a little bit naturally.

7. ShadowLady86

ShadowLady86 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 2, 2015
    I was asking myself the same question since Darth Maul was "resurected" in TCW. For me it would be the most reasonable decision. Of course, at first Maul still had hope that he can come back to the Sidious as his Apprentice. He believed in the Grand Plan and his Master vision. But keeping his former Master's identity in secret during "Son of Dathomir" makes no sense at all.During those events, Maul "chains are finally broken" and he s free from Sidious. So why not telling? One message to the Jedi Council that Palpatine is the Sith Lord and the war would be over. Palpatine would never receive the absolute power from Senate.Game over.

In my opinion Maul re-creation in TCW/ SOD was brilliant. This character has at last deep personality and great history. However his potential is limited by the Episode III. We all know what must happen with Dooku and Sidious and that Maul simply can't win because of future events. :( However I'm very curious about Maul's future.

Sudooku likes this.
  8. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    Had Maul involved the Jedi, he would have looked at that as a weakness. He wanted revenge with Talzin at his side, bringing the Jedi into the fold would have taken away from the glory. While its true that Maul cant kill Sidious because of the events in the movies, its also possible that he survives him. A conclusion for Maul is nowhere in sight at the moment, so its possible he'll have his revenge by outliving him and reclaiming his title as a Sith Lord...

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  9. ShadowLady86

Jul 2, 2015
    Yes, but probably only in front of his own eyes (Maul was abitious and pround). However the main rule of Siths was to obtain the power in any costs. Sidious killed his own Master in dishonorable way but he received what he wanted. The power shared with nobody. If Maul had revealed Sidious true identity, he would have been in the victorious position. Sidious would have been forced to run from the Jedi/ Republic army and he would have lost all his military power as a Senate leader. Maul and Talzin however would have still had Death Watch, Mercenaries and Nightbrothers. What is more, the absolute power was Sidious's only desire and after taking it from him, Maul would gain the perfect victory and revange. Just think. During his cruel trainning under the Sidious mastery, Maul has always been deprived of what he started to care about. First the simple pleausere as the window with the view of Mustafar. Then Sidious destroyed TD-D9 droid just to showed Maul, that the fiendship is ilusion and nobody will ever become his (Maul's) friend. Maul was also forced to kill Kilindi, the person who truly liked Maul mutually. Finally, Sidious killed Savage and was filling himself with Maul's lost.

So with one decision Maul could finally take something from Sidious. The sense of Sidious existence.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  10. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
  11. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Seems Maul wanted his place back as apprentice prior to Lawless, afterwards obviously not. So that explains why he never divulged Sidious as Palpatine. After SOD is all unclear, its possible he divulged the truth about Palpatine to Tano in a manner similar to Dooku talking about Sidious in AOTC but again no idea, but it would would make sense. If he has not divulged his identity at all, its hard to fathom, unless he simply wants to bring about Sidious's end by his own hand through war or as a shadow warrior in manner similar to how the Sith brought down the Republic and Jedi. At last he will reveal himself to the Sith, at last he shall have his revenge deal. He seems to be wiping the floor with Jedi still, so its not like he wanted to be buds with them. Although I could see an odd team up between Maul and Kenobi or Maul and Tano.

12. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    An odd team with Obi-Wan? Obi-Wan is so busy with missions for the Temple -No way! And after Utapau he cares more for Padmé and Luke. But Maul telling Ahsoka about Sidious - that makes quite sense - maybe already in the lost TWC-Pyke's-arc, where Five after Lom Pyke 's death by Dooku's blade in s. 6 as the new leader of the Pykes is still an important member of Maul's Shadow-Collective.

13. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    He teamed with Ventress and Maul teamed with Dooku, so why not?! Talking during the dark times, not Clone Wars era.

14. ShadowLady86

Jul 2, 2015
    Hi Sudooku,

Thanks for the link, I will gladly check it. ;)

I agree that the reason why Maul didn't reveal Sidious identity since SoD is clear. He wanted to be Sidious apprentice again. But after SoD events Maul has no army, no credits and no allies apart from crushed Death Watch. So the only way to weaken Sidious is to reveal his identity to Jedi, even anonymously. Jedi were pretty determined to find the Dark Lord, so I think they would check every trace or information. Maul wouldn't have to team up with Jedi.

I think it would be pretty cool to see Maul in Rebels. At first I was worried that Disney could ridicule such dark character as Maul. You know... Maul is a negative character so he would not be able to defeat even the weakest positive hero in the show. But after seeing Vader in the first episode of season 2 I'm quite calm. Vader is dark and powerful. However during the Rebels events everybody already knows that Palpatine is the Dark Lord.

I'm not quite sure if I'm not mistaken, but I remeber that Sabine in season 1 said that Mandalore is under Imperial control (during Rebels events). So certainly Maul lost his power as the ovelord of Mando troopers. Personally I see him as freelancer, who is ocasionally teams up with some rebels, but always cares about his own goals.

Sudooku likes this.
  15. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Hi Vorax,

If Maul really did tell Ahsoka in the Mandalore-Arc, that Palpatine is Sidious then she may reveal to him in return that Anakin is Palpatine's special representative in the Jedi-Council and his friend. By then Maul should realize by whom he had been replaced a long time ago. But Ahsoka will have to keep that information for herself in order to avoid further prosecution. What a happening!

ShadowLady86 likes this.
  16. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Well, Maul knew Dooku was gonna be replaced by a new apprentice, and was using that to lure Dooku to his side(despite he knew Dooku would never willingly betray his master). Its possible Maul knew Skywalker would be the new apprentice through Mother Talzin as she seemed like she knew something possibly about his destiny:

[​IMG]

I think the best scene in Old Wounds was when Maul was observing the duel on Mustafar and the aftermath, as he watched Vader crawling.

rumsmuggler and ShadowLady86 like this.
  17. Dark-lord97

Dark-lord97 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 8, 2014
    I have taken an interest in this comic since a friend recommended it to me, it seems they got lots of things right whilst using a nice art style and telling a good story. Grievous for example is not the pathetic ruined worse-than-Episode 3-version we see in The Clone Wars, but the intimidating cunning badass villain we see in the original Clone Wars micro series.

18. ShadowLady86

Jul 2, 2015
    If we assume that Maul is still alive during Rebels, then his revenge on Kenobi is even greater. In TCW series Kenobi told Maul that the choice of joing dark side wasn't his. Now his own (Kenobi's) apprentice has chosen the dark side on his own accord. In opposition to all Kenobi's ideals and teachings. Of course we must also assume that Maul is aware that Vader is Anakin himself. It was not a common knowledge.

Sudooku likes this.
  19. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    Much of the SW universe is about the tragedy of Anakin Skywalker, but this comic run and the CW series helped to show that other characters, like Maul, had a similar fate. Maul was taken from his home and turned into a monster by Sidious. I never believed Dathomir and its people were evil by nature - its very possible that Maul, Talzin, and the rest of Dathomir would have peacefully coexisted with the galaxy, had they not been dragged into the plans of Sidious.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  20. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014

Maul wasnt particularly interested in Kenobi in SOD, as he already exacted his revenge upon him back in the series, on Lawless. Maul was lying when he told Kenobi, " only our combined hatred of you would unite us[Maul and Dooku]" , as Kenobi shouted out a disbelief that Dooku and Maul were working together and he seemed to have thought they were the two Sith Lords, Maul just didnt correct him and allowed to believe the deception as deception is the way of the Sith pretty much at all times. Maul chose a more worthy challenge in fighting both Secura and Windu and left Kenobi and that younger Jedi twin to Dooku .

Its doubtful Maul cares who Vader is, he'd be yet another Sith pretender and Jedi traitor, like Dooku. He could use the information to his advantage but really only someone like Tano or Luke or Leia could be affected. Kenobi already knows its him as did Yoda. She seemed too shocked in Rebels so I don't think that was ever done, or if it was at the time she did not believe it. The more likely scenerio he'd warn Tano of Palpatine's duel identity. Its possible her clone troopers turned on Mandalore even. If she was not working with the council, then who OKed the attack? Most likely Palpatine was behind it as he wanted Mandalore for quite some time back on the series. Will probably be another year before we learn more one way or the other whats going on.

Sudooku likes this.
  21. ShadowLady86

Jul 2, 2015
    Well, the existence for males on Dathomir wasn't so bright. Males were killed after conception. And in "The Wrath of Darth Maul" we can read that Talzin planned for Maul the Savage's fate. When Talzin arrived on Orsis wanting to take Maul back on Dathomir, she said that he would transformed into worrior. In one word Maul would end up brainwashed and would be just tool in Nightsisters hands.

Yes, he was just a tool in the Sidious hands too. But at least he got knowledge of the Siths and Sith training. Perhaps incomplete, but always. Maybe after SoD events he will be able to be his own master at last. Without Sidious and without Talzin, before whom he had to kneel.

22. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    About that....(Dark Disciple spoiler):

In Dark Disciple, it's revealed that Maul still harbors ambitions against Sidious. And this part of the novel takes place after Son of Dathomir. He was probably wary about teaming up with Maul because he distrusted Talzin, but in the end, he squandered the biggest opportunity he had to take down his master.

Wrath of Darth Maul isn't canon anymore. In SoD Talzin's relationship with Maul is that of mother and son, not master and servant as was previously suggested in the EU when Kycina was Maul's stated parent. I initially believed that Talzin only cared about Maul because of his power and potential, but after she sacrificed herself for him it's pretty clear that she truly did love him and vice versa.

cwustudent and Mother_Talzin like this.
  23. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Interesting, thanks. Any mention of Maul in DD further?

Dooku, however chose his fate once he let Grievous out've his cell by thinking he was slick with the Force hitting the door while he was in cuffs, that obviously would've alerted and been the nail in the coffin for Maul to know Dooku's true intension and allegiance. In SOD there was wheeling and dealing , like in DD, with everyone playing eachother so it looks like a common trait and part've the deception stuff they use as a weapon to stay on top. Vader was extremely reluctant and afraid to openly take down Sidious in ROTJ, and that coming after whatever he's been doing in Marvel now with the new canon and his temption of Luke to join him. Vader more resembles Tyranus in all this, with half hearted attempts or just thoughts and ambitions mostly repressed and buried deep down. So it looks like very few have the pills to make an open stand and launch full blown crusade against the Sith Master Sidious. So far its only been Maul.

The Shadow Emperor and Sudooku like this.
  24. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    That is because Vader and Dooku both are Jedi-Traitors, as Maul would say.:p

Vorax likes this.
  25. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Vorax No, Maul isn't mentioned in the book at all. (I meant to write Dooku in the spoiler there, whoops. Too late to edit.) And interestingly,

Ventress believes that Talzin died during the Nightsister massacre.

Vorax likes this.