main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by newdawn12, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    That's how I feel. I don't know if I'll like how it all wraps up, since I didn't like what they did with Maul in season five, but at least we'll get an ending to arc. I'm happy for that.

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
  3. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    Thanks. Thanks for fixing my post too.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  4. Darth Wookiee

Darth Wookiee Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    Hi, and welcome too.

Darth Maul Apprentice likes this.
  5. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
  6. Embomania

Embomania Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    Am I the only one who wishes they would've saved this story for an adaptation in Rebels instead of a comic book? It's such a waste of bringing Maul back only to finish his arc on pages. And you'd think Disney would want to save Maul in some capacity for the screen since he's one of the few popular things from the prequels.

7. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    My sentiments also, the funny thing is how no one is really considering these as part of the bonus content. You know, we all know that this is not like the animation but at least were getting an arc that appears to be important and , this really is the first arc confirmed here in the US, besides the Marvel getting the license stuff. Everyone talks about just the 13 episodes but in reality its 17 with the comics. I know its hard to accept the comic as such especially with all this news of old EU rolled into new EU and all that.

8. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I thought the same thing, but we actually don't know if this is the end of Darth Maul. He could live at the end which makes this just another arc in his overall story. Even if the original ending (when it was part of the animated series) featured the death of Maul, they could've changed it in the comic to allow him to survive. That would allow them to do whatever spinoffs they want later, while still giving us this arc that they worked on for the series. Think about it: Given his popularity, Disney probably wants Darth Maul as a potential character for a spinoff movie or series. Killing him would just kill that opportunity for them.

9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yea, I don't think he will die in a comic directed at Maul fans. Not if you can show a Maul/Vader fight on the big screen.

10. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    Are you suggesting a Maul spin-off film set after the comic? Intriguing.

11. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I wonder if we'll get comics of other TCW episodes.

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

My first thought is that fight sounds awesome.

But then I remembered that Darth Vader wears this massive suit, fully enclosed helmet, heavy boots and full cape. Not sure who can keep up with Ray Park in that.

Then I had another realization. Vader could be done in CGI.

Still want.

13. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013

::shudders::
    Please no.

Darth_Pevra and Obimus Primobi like this.
  14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    No, just a spinoff featuring Maul. But I guess a "Maul spinoff" is also possible.

CT-867-5309

It's too geeky not to want, right?

15. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I wonder how film and TCW purists perceive the notion of making Darth Maul's arc conclude in comic form. If you hate the EU, where does Maul's tale end for you? Not meant to be snarky, by the way; I myself have head-canon where Maul never survived Naboo.

16. Lordtyrannusaurus

Lordtyrannusaurus Jedi Padawan

Oct 16, 2013
    I think it's a cheap and lazy decision on Disney's and Lucasfilm's parts. It shows a lack of respect for the fans of TCW who deserved some sense of closure after 5 seasons.

That said, as soon as Sidious said "I have other uses for you", I assume he had Maul begin waxing the floors of the in-construction Death Star, where he continued to serve as Death Star custodian until his untimely demise in the explosion at the Battle of Yavin.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  17. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

Eh, can't say I agree with you there at all. The bonus content that is being released was nearly completed, whereas this story was going to come much later down the line and obviously wasn't close to being finished (or even started, for that matter). With Disney/Lucasfilm Animation shifting gears into Rebels it wouldn't really be practical for them to go back and animate every single thing they had planned for The Clone Wars. If anything, the fact that they are even having this comic made should be seen as immense respect for their fans, not disrespect. They really didn't have to do anything, but instead they are giving you a story arc that would have never seen the light of day otherwise.

To respond to Lordtyrannusaurus, I wouldn't really look at the upcoming Maul comic as EU, since it is, in essence, a batch of actual TCW episodes that, due to lack of resources, are simply being told in another medium.

18. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Plus all Story Group Canon will be on the same level, this, and Rebels are just the first examples.

19. Lordtyrannusaurus

Oct 16, 2013
    One thing Disney doesn't have is a lack of resources. They could have, and SHOULD have, released a feature that tied up the Maul story in the same format in which it began. He is the one loose end that cannot be just explained away. I suppose if Lost, or Sopranos, ended in a comic book as opposed to a genuine series finale, everyone would've understood. It's just a different medium right?

darth ladnar and cwustudent like this.
  20. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Interestingly enough, both of those TV finales were heavily criticized by viewers for being dissatisfying conclusions. It's hard for even good shows to end in a way that will satisfy fans. If we got all of the 8 planned TCW seasons on TV would we be satisfied?

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Books are cheap and lazy. :(

To be fair, I think a book commits suicide every time someone watches Jersey Shore, Duck Dynasty or The Bachelor.

Time to uncork the Pinot Grigio...

22. Lordtyrannusaurus

Oct 16, 2013
    It's true that not all of us would have liked how the conclusion may have unfolded, but most would have had at least some satisfaction from actually HAVING a conclusion and closure for what became a central villain in the series.

I enjoy comics and novels, but I don't think whipping out a 4 part comic after watching Season 5 would give one near as much satisfaction as watching the episodes play out in the medium for which they were written.

23. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013
    Breaking Bad.

It is the only show with a satisfying ending - the fact is, we never want to see something we love end. We may want answers to things and the hope that an ending tends to answer some unanswered questions usually gets us excited but we still don't want it to end if we really love it. Even if you consider that things must end to make sense with the story that they're telling or that you don't want something to go past its prime, endings are always sad. :( We can go on and on about how we would've liked this or that as an ending to TCW - but if we're really dissatisfied and we liked the show, we're usually just upset that it ended at all - and we tend to funnel that frustration into specifics.

24. Lordtyrannusaurus

Oct 16, 2013
    This is very much true. However, CW is a little different than other shows, in that it is a precursor for an already existing film. Because of that, certain main characters need to be at a logical place at the close of the series. Hondo, Cad Bane, bounty hunters, etc. can logically exist during EP3 and beyond because they're outlying characters with no real tie to the main Jedi/Sith story. Maul on the other hand MUST have closure, as he is a hugely popular and important character, and more importantly a Sith, who is not even hinted at in EP3. Therefore, I think it is ridiculous for Disney not to pony up a little bit of money to get the already-written Maul arc made to give some closure to his character in animated form.

25. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    I'm guessing they'll either suck it up, tough it out, and do some reading...or they'll cross their arms, stomp their feet, and complain *forever* about how they never got a resolution...even though they did.