main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by newdawn12, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Lordtyrannusaurus

Lordtyrannusaurus Jedi Padawan

Oct 16, 2013
    I love the insinuation that those of us that wanted an animated resolution to an animated character can't (or don't) read. I'm also glad that having the story arc in comic form works so well for you. I wish it worked for me, but it doesn't, and I AM going to complain every time it is brought up in discussion (with your permission of course).

Perhaps when they write the final installment of The Walking Dead, it'll be released only as a comic as well, and the fans will just have to "suck it up" because, according to your logic, they got their resolution. I'm sorry, but for most people and fans of a TV series, having any sort of major character's fate being thrown in a comic instead of unfolding on-screen is lazy and unacceptable, no matter how good the comic is.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I actually like resolutions in books and sort of look forward to this comic.

3. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    There's no comparison. Lost and The Sopranos were never canceled. If any show I watched was canceled and it came down to getting nothing or a comic book, I'd choose a comic book every day. At least it comes from television scripts and ties up loose ends. It's not the same, but it's something. Obviously it would be much more preferable to get more episodes as originally intended, but that's unfortunately not an option this time around.

It's hard to say that Disney SHOULD have done anything when, technically speaking, they didn't even have to continue working on the bonus content or begin production on this comic to begin with. They canceled the show and moved their resources over to Rebels which, as disappointing as it is to the fans who lost TCW, makes sense from a financial standpoint to Disney. They are obviously going to want to have direct creative imput from beginning to end on their products, and that isn't really possible with a show that people associate with another network back in 2008. Disney at least tried to make it up to the fans by releasing what was worked on enough to be feasible enough to finish without draining too much money from their other products and commissioned to have Maul, one of the biggest loose ends, tied up in comic book form because his episodes were so far down the line that animation had not even begun.

Trebor Sabreon and Contessa like this.
  4. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    Star Wars has always been a connected universe. Yeah, it would be good to get resolution in the medium Darth Maul was returned to, but it's a connected universe and the mere fact it is a comic book doesn't lower it's validness at all. Lost and Sopranos, however, didn't really have a connected universe. They were TV shows, plain and simple. No spin off movies and books and video games and comics (well a few for Lost I think, but it wasn't a whole universe or something crazy like that.) So while I would have loved to see this in TV, it's still as much Star Wars as a comic book for me and I can't wait!

5. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

6. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    Disney owns LFL, which means they own Star Wars. Couldn't they have just taken the show and aired it on their own channel? I mean they'd still be the one's profiting from it.

7. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Yes, but why would they want to bog themselves down in an already established series when they can create their own and have free reign?

8. Darth Maul Apprentice

Jan 27, 2014
    Because it's an established show with a fan base, and one that can have tons of merchandise. Why not have more than one?

darth ladnar likes this.
  9. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    So does Son Of Dathomir take place before or after the TCW Series Finale ? ( Yoda Arc )

Huyang likes this.
  10. Darth Maul Apprentice

Jan 27, 2014
    From the links people have posted, sounds like before.

11. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013

Because it doesn't fit with their vision and future path for the franchise. They don't want people to think about this era of Star Wars - they see it as a failure. They want to make Star Wars content that feels more like the OT and TCW goes in complete opposition of that goal. Why spend money and resources on something you really don't want to be exposing to an audience. ITs all about them shaping the public perception of Star Wars. In their eyes, the PT has widespread disdain among fans and the public. TCW ties into the PT and incorporates the stories and themes of that failure of a trilogy. They want to shed anything that could link them to failure. They're idiots for doing so, but I understand why they are.

12. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I've never read anything from Disney indicating they feel disdain for the prequel trilogy. If such comments or implications exist then please, feel free to enlighten me, but I find it difficult to believe when everything I've heard is contrary to what you claim. It's been my understanding that Disney's execs were fully onboard with seeing TCW through to its completion until licensing issues with CN made that impossible.

13. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I got to agree with you here on this one. Though I am happy that we are getting a comic book series at least on one of the unproduced episodes, I would have rather had the animated arc. Unfortunately, we are really no longer in a postition to complaint anymore since all of this is out of our hands. I do know that Dark Horse has done a wonderful job with the Buffy series, Angel series an now they are doing Serenity. They know how to extend the seasons and if I remember correctly even Joss Whedon is involved with the stories. A comic book can do good, but, not every franchise can get that, and for star wars and the clone wars.........its been the shaft everytime.......

Darth Maul Apprentice likes this.
  14. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Here is the problem that I have with this, every indication for me appears to be that Disney does not want anything to do with the prequels and would do whatever they can to distance themselves from it. Hence the article that just got released today by USA Today on the new Jedi charatcer for Rebels......did anyone catch the last part? Were they are doing more character first kind of star wars stories centered in humanity than technology? Anyone caught that? What did the prequels have? Story? Yeah right? It had a chock full of digital CGI technological improvements from across the boards. What did the second clone wars series have? They had story, maybe too much that they couldn't finish, but they had awkward animation that was different, 3-G CGI stuff, in fact every episode was almost like a mini-movie. Technology was there from the fire scenes, to water scenes, to improvements in character animation, lightning etc. The Star Wars prequels along with the Clone Wars cartoon series were full of technology, and my indication is that Disney wants to return back to the original trilogy kind of days. More story, less CGI, digital stuff. Is that a good thing? maybe, but you can't go retro and copy the formula that made the originals classics. You have to come up with a new brand and still honor the technological achievements of today. Stuff that was done in yesteryear could not be done today, and if they were....star wars would definitely not come out in Decemeer 18, 2015. (Almost feels lile a Joe namath prediction).

And dude, nothing for nothing but the truth is that they are a lot of fans that dislike the prequels. You ought to look at my earlier posts of 2003-2006 and you'd read that I bashed the prequels for being bad movies, but having great novels. TPM with the money it made back in 1999 was thrashed by The Matrix. A movie that made half less than TPM and won 4 Oscars. What did TPM win? Nothing. In fact even with the re-release that gave GL his first ever 1 billion dollar gross (international and domestic box-office included) the movie still sucked and compared to the other 14 to 15 movies that grossed over a billion dollars.....TPM is the worst of them all. You need to hold your horse just a bit when it comes to the prequels because they are not liked by many, jusrt the newbie's and star wars die hards that will like anything star wars named on it.

15. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013

Dag Nabit!! I had a whole response typed up and I accidentally x'ed out when looking up a source! I guess I can start all over...

First and foremost, ever since last spring, we've been getting interviews and announcements from Lucasfilm - with the same kinds of phrases repeated over and over. Phrases like "taking Lucasfilm in a new direction" and "bring back the feel of the OT" and "focus on a new time period of Star Wars." So, whether you believe this or not, its true and I'm not going to sift through every interview and announcement to point all of these occurrences out. Throughout all of those interviews and announcements, we haven't heard anything that would focus on the PT-era (with the exception of the TCWBC and the Maul finale, which considering how all of that is being handled, it doesn't exact scream, "Yay, PT era!!!" Then, you also have the hiatus of the 3D releases of AOTC and ROTS. None of this really supports the idea that they're champions of the PT --- because….

….to be clear, I never said Disney had disdain for the PT. What I said was, "In their eyes, the PT has widespread disdain among fans and the public." This is undeniable. I'm not saying a agree of disagree but the moviegoing public, as a whole, is much more inclined to say "give us more like the OT" than "give us more like the PT." This should be clear by a number of things - not the least of which is the fact that 2/3 PT films have a 57 and 67 percent score on rotten tomatoes while 2/3 OT films have a 93 and 96 percent score. Throw in redlettermedia's widely distributed and acknowledged, PT-bashing "reviews" along with the consistent relaying of these feelings throughout the whole of the media. When a journalist or news anchor is doing a story about the entire saga of star wars, they almost always put the PT in a context of "not as good" or "flop" or worse "failure" - despite the financial successes. This opinion then becomes assimilated throughout the public and the "dislike" of the PT becomes well known throughout all circles - including studio execs. My point was that, from their perspective, the public does not want more PT stuff. And while they do not blatantly say "way want to stay away from that" in interviews, they do instead say, "we want to go in a different direction - bring back the feel of the OT but focus very much around a new, singular time period."

kubricklynch and Darth_Pevra like this.
  16. Darth Wookiee

Darth Wookiee Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    Pretty sure it's after.

17. Darth Maul Apprentice

Jan 27, 2014
    You're probably right. I was thinking about the end of season six.

18. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013

I don't think Disney really looks at the PT in this way. Disney is a corporation that cares about profits, and Lucasfilm was a highly profitable company despite whatever disdain some group of people may have had for the PT. I have a link to article that gives a breakdown of Lucasfilm vs. Marvel vs. Pixar comparing the health of those companies before their purchase by Disney, and despite the fact that Marvel released a number of films in its year of purchase, Lucasfilm was nearly as profitable as profitable as Marvel (net profits vs. expenses) even though its last film was released in 2005 . Lucasfilm was profitable in its 4 main areas: films, merchandising, special effects, and video games. (In fact, SW film profits in 2012 were 2/3rds of what Marvel's were when it was purchased by Disney even though Lucasfilm's last movie release was 2005.) So despite the sense that SW has a lot of haters (which I'm not sure is even true), there are still tons of people willing to plop down money for things that were SW related, and that's all that matters and all that Disney really cares about. Here's the link to the article with the comparison of Marvel and Lucasfilm: http://www.businessweek.com/article...ught-lucasfilm-and-its-plans-for-star-wars#p3

I think Disney doesn't want to focus on the PT because of its distance from the ST. The PT happened 50-60 years before the ST, and so, it is far removed from the events of the ST. Rebels is 20 years closer to the ST than the Clone Wars is. The ST represents the future of the OT, while the PT represents the OT's past. It's common sense that they would go with what's closer to the future of SW than what's further away from it. Focusing on the PT is going the wrong direction.

I think another factor that went into the cancellation of the Clone Wars and 3-D releases was simply that Kathleen Kennedy wanted to show that she's the one in charge. CEO's often do this. A new one comes in, makes a few bold moves, and those around him recognize that this new guy is the one running the show.

Now I'm not saying that Disney wouldn't prefer to associate with the OT over the PT. The OT was more successful financially and culturally, but I don't think there's any real anti-PT sentiment there or real concern about some hate the PT has gotten or that they're trying to make us forget about the PT. (One of Disney's first marketing moves was a March Madness tournament which featured PT and OT characters with a few CW thrown in. They could've easily made it with only OT characters if they wanted. BTW, PT Obi easily beat Han in their match-up, and Padme and Leia virtually tied.) In fact, I'm sure Disney would be thrilled if they get PT-level profits from the ST. The PT was the second highest grossing trilogy in US history adjusted for inflation (after the OT).

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  19. Darth Maul Apprentice

Jan 27, 2014
    Disney bought SW cause it makes money. Now gimme more Maul.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  20. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    Something of interest to note is that on Wookieepedia one of the planets listed to be appearing in the comic is Ord Mantell. Ord Mantell was a planet in Star Wars The Old Republic so that should be interesting to see that planet in the time of the Clone Wars.

darth ladnar likes this.
  21. Darth Maul Apprentice

Jan 27, 2014
    Are there story spoilers on the page? Cause if there are I don't want to know.

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

The thing is, there is 0 chance this Maul story will ever be animated, released, finished, etc. It's not happening. The Lucasfilm animation pipeline is squarely zeroed in on Rebels. No more Clone Wars animated will be made. Disney has cancelled the show. That is not a debatable point, that is fact, the show is done.

However, the show does still have a backlog of stories about these characters since they wrote the scripts so well in advance. The stories do exist. Therefore, you get resolution on these stories which the bulk of the creative ideas and heaving lifting came from the creators/writers/etc of the TV show. It's still a story by them, a story about those characters, but presented in a different format. Because the animated version will never, ever happen. So does one just toss the story into a vault and lock it up or put it out in a different format for the fans? I cannot see how the first option is preferable. To anyone.

Also, for the record, Walking Dead's final installment happening in a comic book would actually be super-wheels-within-wheels franchising since it's based upon a comic book. Which the TV show adapts it's stories from.

23. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Was it ever confirmed anywhere that this is indeed the conclusion of Maul's arc, or is that an assumption? All I see regarding info regarding Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir, was that it is based on scripts for a 4-episode arc that was intended for Season 6, but nothing that says that this arc was ever intended to be the character's conclusion for TCW. I.E. he may have been intended to survive past Season 6.

I mean, the words of the author, to me, just make me think it is merely the next chapter in Maul's tale, not the last chapter.

24. Darth Maul Apprentice

Jan 27, 2014
    Well it's kind of cryptic. I guess we won't really know until May when the comic comes out.

25. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Well, Maul fans can still hope for live action - on the movie screen!