main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Maul vs. General Grievous

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by LeeKenobi, Jun 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    You know, that was GL's cough they used.

2. sword_of_raditz

sword_of_raditz Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2005
    Ha! Haha! *points to Luke Groundwalker's reply*
    There's a good comeback. Good job, Luke Groundwalker.

3. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Except that Grievous never coughed once during his duel with Obi-Wan. As he is igniting the sabers he coughs a little, but never during the duel. Even when he tells him, after their exchange and the loss of two of his limbs, "army or not, you must realize, you are doomed!", he doesn't cough even once. So, respiratory problems had nothing to do with it. Anyways, his breathing problems most likely stem from the fact that his lungs are in two artificial containers, and that his life support systems are being kept active by pumps and machines. If Windu had used the Force to crush his chest, don't you think Grievous (one of the most powerful beings in the galaxy) would have simply had the offending parts replaced? Let me guess: Vader has problems breathing because, before he died, Windu crushed Anakin's chest as he was flying out the window, right? I guess we'll have to ask Mara Jade, who was undoubtedly hiding in the corner and watching the whole incident.

4. sword_of_raditz

Jun 2, 2005
    You're in a lightsaber duel against one of the most renowned jedi. Your thoughts are:

1. Kill him!
    2. I wonder if I can restore confidence in my funders if i do this!
    3. Watch out for left jab!
    4. Ha! My four lightsabers will get him!
    458926972856718715371397828910. I need to cough!

5. sword_of_raditz

Jun 2, 2005
    And about Vader's breathing problem, i wonder if burning in lava could possibly affect your lungs. Nah, can't be.

6. sith_rising

Jan 7, 2004
    My point being, Grievous and Vader have breathing problems because of their severe physical conditions. What happened in a cartoon is irrelevant.

7. LukeGroundwalker

LukeGroundwalker Jedi Master star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    Just because he didn't cough during that battle, it doesn't mean that he was damaged. Not only did Mace mess up his artifical breathing containers he messed up his other organs that were in there. And that happened a few hours before Episode III so I doubt Greivous would have time to get fixed. And I don't recall Mace crushing Anakin's chest in Episode III, if Mace crushed his chest then he would of been hurt troughout the movie.

8. sith_rising

Jan 7, 2004
    I was being sarcastic about how everything/everyone in the movies has to be explained in full detail in the EU.

9. sword_of_raditz

Jun 2, 2005
    Well, if an answer can't be found in the movies, how about searching through the EU? Genious!

10. sword_of_raditz

Jun 2, 2005
    And Gen Grevious killed some jedi. Jedis can use the force. What makes Darth Maul any different from the force-using jedi Gen Grievious already killed?

11. Maphisto86

Maphisto86 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2005
    [face_frustrated] OMfreakingGOD ! Just because some of the EU material contradicts the films doesen't mean they all do by association. George Lucas had a say in the Clone Wars cartoon as well as everything else Star Wars. Please shut up ! Im sorry but some people don't listen to reason. They have breathing problems because their cyborgs ? Hmmm...good hypotheses professor ! :rolleyes:Why is it one way or the other on these forums !? "Only Sith deal in absolutes" my ass.... o_O

P.S. For the last time...Darth Maul is not Greivous !!!! :mad:

12. KaleeshWarrior

KaleeshWarrior Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2005
    Just since everyone's debating about Grievous' failings in his fightscenes, why don't we bring up Maul's failings... You look at the part when Maul gets cut in half, and you might notice that Kenobi's attack is preceeded by a shift in his stance which, if you watch, gives a none-too-sutble hint of what he's going to do. This is called telegraphing. Telegraphing is bad, no matter what kind of fighting style you do.

...And a side note- It's rather scary to watch the most hardcore fans tear the other side's argument to peices. Not nessecarily with another valid argument, but yelling at people online works almost as well as it does in real life >>;;

13. sith_rising

Jan 7, 2004
    Everyone telegraphs in Star Wars. It makes for interesting, exciting choreography. But if you watch the duels carefully, you'll see that Darth Maul telegraphs the least of any of them (probably because a martial artist/stuntman filled the role, rather than an actor who was taught to stage fence). Grievous, however, telegraphs more than anyone else in the movies, but it's hard to notice because of the amount of motions he has going on at once. Often, his two lead hands will attempt to lock and hold his opponent's saber while his two rear blades wind up way back for greatly exaggerated overhead strikes. Looks pretty cool, and probably works well against lesser duelists. Maul's blades would be able to quickly disarm Grievous, I think, not to mention the fact that Maul likes to cut towards the front leg, which might work well against Grievous.

Without the Force, I don't think any person/droid/alien/cyborg would be able to beat someone of Maul's or Obi-Wan's skill using only a lightsaber, despite being taught by Count Dooku. Lightsaber skill is dependent upon one's knowledge of the Force, not how many they can swing at once. Otherwise, they could just steal lightsabers from dead Jedi and build a droid with 100 arms than just goes crazy like one of those things you use to water the yard (with the flailing arms - you know what I'm talking about). Grievous should have thought more like Jango - distance, tricks, and firepower. A flamethrower on each arm instead of a blade would have been smarter against fighting Jedi, albeit less cool on the big screen. I prefer a cool lightsaber duel to a logical shootout anyday!

14. Gungan_Sith

Gungan_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2005
    Well said. And if Grievous could beat Ki Adi Mundi, whom I'm guessing based on his rank in the Jedi Council is more powerful than Maul, he would be able to easily beat Darth Maul.

15. LukeGroundwalker

Jun 6, 2005
    Exactlly! Grievous would definatlly defeat Maul. But that battle will never happen.

16. LeeKenobi

LeeKenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 13, 2002
    Maul can, use the Force(but Greivous would dodge it),

And just how can you "dodge" an energy field that "surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together"?

17. LukeGroundwalker

Jun 6, 2005
    Have you ever seen Clone Wars Volume II, in one of the chapters one of the Jedi was trying to do a Force blast on Grievous. But Grievous dodged it, he was also moving really fast. The only time he gets hit by the Force was when he gets caught off gaurd. Ex. Mace crushing Grievous' chest in Clone Wars Volume II.

18. DarthVegas

DarthVegas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    Look people,

Maul is a Sith. Yeah he was slain by a PADAWAN, but do you REALLY think Obi-Wan was even thinking about LABELS? No. He was spur of the moment. It's, like, what makes a Padawan a KNIGHT. ACTION. ACTION determines everything. Your FOCUS determines your REALITY. Not your stupid label.

Obi-Wan became a Knight right then. He overcame Maul and defeated him through skill and balance. Maul, as badass as he was, didn't have what it took to defeat Kenobi, BECAUSE he figured him a Padawan and not a JEDI.

This point should be obvious by now...

Maul > Grevious

19. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    well he kinda did beat him, but didn't finish him off

20. Anguirus

Anguirus Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2005
    This is a pretty tough battle, no question about it.

Maul did indeed lose to Kenobi, rather pathetically, but that was largely due to his own overconfidence. We can assume that faced with a four-lightsabre wielding demon, he will get over that problem.

Maul isn't "equivalent" to a typical Jedi Padawan by losing to Kenobi. He's still a full-fledged Sith Lord. Also, as others have pointed out Maul is an truly excellent duelist (though no match for Dooku, who can beat Grievous in the cartoon with absolutely zero effort).

One of the most effective things Maul did during his battle was use a sudden Force push to take down Obi-Wan. Grievous has no real defense against that if he's already been lured into close combat. As soon as his troops showed up, Kenobi stopped playing with Grievous and Force-shoved him so hard he flew many meters into the air and lost his weapons. Once Maul engages him in combat, there is no reason why he can't do the same thing.

Despite Grievous' effectiveness against a large group of Jedi in Clone Wars, I don't think well of his chances against Maul. Maul was an extremely potent weapon in Sidious' arsenal...until he made a mistake.

21. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    Maul would kill him faster then Obi did. (Obi doesn't use Force to directly kill as it violates the Jedi code, Maul would just use the Dark Side to crush to hold crush Grievous.

-The Scummy-

22. Mr-Obi-Wan-Kenobi

Mr-Obi-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2005
    I believe the winner would be Darth Maul.. even though he was fighting a padawan learner in Obi-wan Kenobi...

And General Grievous was fighting a more experienced fighter in Obi wan...

I believe Darth Maul would beat General Grievous as he has been trained as a Sith for far longer and also has the force on his side which allows him a slight insite in fighting.. a also allow him more power..

Darth Maul was a Strong fighter with the force So i think Darth Maul would Win

23. Grievous666

Grievous666 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Grievous would kill maul in the end. First if you have doubts about GG killing jedi himself go to SW.com and check out his databank, it goes into long detail but basically it says many jedi have fallen at the wrong end of GG blades. Maul would get owned by Ep.3 Obi-Wan(who is the best lightsaber wielder EVER) in a matter of sec., if any questions about that ask Ep.1 Obi-Wan(padwan)...who did what...."oh yea, KILLED MAUL!" Grievous's four blades would be overwelming for Maul, specially with a double bladed lightsaber. No way would he be able to block four blades with a double without cuting himself, its impossible, even for make believe. another thing Jango gave it to Obi-Wan in Ep.2, guess what came before Ep.2.....Ep.1, and guess who got killed in Ep.1 by a less more experienced Obi Wan. Ha i mean come on, hands down, Maul is just to arrogant to win a fight, Grievous would out smart him, and by far has better skills with a blade than Maul. And as far as force using go, Maul will barelly be able to use the force just as Obi-Wan was able to against GG, the only time he was able to was when GG was focusing on two things at once(obiwan and the clone army). I like Maul alot, BUT stop this pointless debate of trying to idoalize Maul win you dont have enough reasoning, evidence, etc.(AND THE CLONE WARS SERIES ARE NOT PART OF GL VISION)

>>Has anyone read the STAR WARS: VISIONARIES? Mauls Story is cool as ****! i wish that story was part of GL vision.

24. jediknight22

jediknight22 Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2005
    so just cuz GG has 4 blades he is better than Maul?

Maul by far. The fact he can use the force is a big advantage. I still can't forget how easily pwned GG was by Kenobi's force shove.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.