main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Darth Maul's survival story. Sliced in half...what happens next?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Being non-canon does not make them disappear. They are still official Star Wars products, being angry to TCW just because the old EU become Legends / Non-canon is make no sense at all. TCW used many Legends products for the storyline, they could create an entire different EU, but they still used those works. Cursing to TCW just because of that is unfair.

V-2 likes this.
  2. zompusbite

zompusbite Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 3, 2014
    Marco1907, have you read AotC novelization followed by Star Wars Clone Wars Comics and The Clone Wars novels, Labyrinth of Evil and RotS novelization, then finished with Dark Lord - The Rise of Darth Vader ? I did it. I don't care what is canon or not, what interest me is the quality of the script, the psychology of the characters and the consistencies between "these secondary works" and the main works (the 6 movies).
    Thank you for reading me.

3. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    Btw, as for Darth Maul's survival, starwars.com says this ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Hlnec4Ka1Ds#t=150

zompusbite

Yes, I've read most of them. And I didn't see any big inconsistencies between EU works and TCW.

4. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    Even though I agree that it's highly unlikely that Darth Maul lived I think he could of survived somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    zompusbite is 100% right. The quality of the work (which I admit is subjective) is much higher in the original CW EU. There are also massive inconsistencies. The most relevant I can think of is Anakin's experience's as a padawan in the war such as Jabiim, Ventress' twisted relationship with Obi-Wan, Dooku's crueulty towards Vos in his attempts to corrupt him. The characters we see in TCW are completely different from the much more real and complex one's we knew in the original EU.

As far as Maul's survival, it's ridiculous. If your happy with that quote from sw.com as reasoning behind it, great for you. The real reason of course is "our show is so bland that we needed to bring in an established character we thought people would be interested in."

zompusbite likes this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Savage was an excellent addition to the show but they soon made him second fiddle to Maul.

7. zompusbite

zompusbite Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 3, 2014
    And it will be the same for SWR. I know that in this world where audiovisual is King, it becomes difficult (very?) for a young man to be interested in comic books, not even to mention the novels, but it is not a reason. Myself, at one time, I was a "hysterical moviegoer" but I learned (literally) to read and love to read through works such as The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and many others. GL could have made an adaptation of these comics and novels just like the Japanese do to their manga, while emphasizing some details of the war and the relationship between Obi-wan and Anakin. But ultimately he decided to show us a fairytale using the features of our favorite characters to better bait us and subsequently breaking our hopes.
    Thank you for reading me.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir, Maul claims that Mother Talzin "sacrificed much of her power to resurrect me".

Now - he could be speaking figuratively - of her curing of his madness. But if he's speaking literally - maybe he actually died in that pit on Naboo - only to be brought back to life again via her powers?

9. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    I think she just fixed his head, in the last episode of Season 4, Talzin was removing black smokes from Mad Maul's head, which should be the dark side power of Maul, his dark side powers keep him alive but also made him crazy.
    [​IMG]

Then in the same episode Maul said these ; ''It has been soo long and my path has been soo dark. Darker than I ever dreamed it could be.''

Maul also said to Sidious this

''-I am most impressed to see you have survived your injuries.
    -I used your training master.''

Which means that Maul survived via his Sith training.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Fair enough. "Resurrect" is figurative rather than literal then.

cwustudent and Erkan12 like this.
  11. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    I enjoyed the addition of Savage to the show. Once the storyboard decided to go the route of reviving Maul I was of the assumption that Savage was being built up as an unstoppable juggernaut to possibly usurp Maul at a later date. Be that as it may, I don't know how I would have felt about that had it happened, as I was/am always a Darth Maul fan (the writer's send-off to his character in the Son of Dathomir comics was a much welcome deviation from the fate beheld by most/all other prequel characters).

The writer's really had something there with him, though.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    Maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Yeah I didn't understand that at all. Clancy Brown has a great powerful voice and frankly, I was more interested in his character when all was said and done than Maul's. And I'm a guy who thinks Lucas should've kept him alive. But Maul's return was a bit lackluster overall.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Savage as an apprentice to Dooku long term, Savage trying to get revenge on Obi-Wan for killing his brother, Obi-Wan and Savage working things out etc would have been more engaging imo.

15. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    It was more interesting when it was that way. Once Maul entered the picture, it was like one horned bad guy too many and Savage was reduced to huge-sidekick role.

cwustudent and Force Smuggler like this.
  16. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Not so much "reduced" as "denied more".

I'm obviously in the minority here, but I like it as it is. The portrayal of Maul's return is great, IMO. His madness totally sells it for me. Sam Witwer did an amazing job voicing him.

Andy Wylde and Marco1907 like this.
  17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    It's Star Wars

Not supposed to make sense.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  18. Lestatfol

Lestatfol Jedi Youngling

Nov 27, 2014
    When Darth Maul reappeared in TCW I couldn't believe it. I facepalmed really hard I skipped the whole arc and pretended nothing happened so I could sleep in peace. But it took a while to get those images of SpiderMaul out of my mind. I still have nightmares about it sometimes. Really , what were they thinking?!

19. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Don't know if you deserve a medal or a face-trout for making me imagine the old Spider-Man theme except with Darth Maul. It's somehow both a nightmare and a soothing masterpiece

Lestatfol likes this.
  20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    The questions: does Disney do anything with Maul?

I hope so. Great villain.

cwustudent and Erkan12 like this.
  21. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
  22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Is that from Son of Dathomir?

23. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    I love Darth Maul and think his duel with QGJ and OWK was (aesthetically) the best of the saga, but the idea of him somehow surviving TPM is just plain stupid.

whostheBossk and Darth Downunder like this.
  24. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    No. It's from TCW Season 5 - Episode 16

25. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    I just assumed some element of the force kept him alive, be that hate or midichlorian manipulation of the sort Darth Plageius was so interested in. To be honest Ive never been the keenest on the magic and mysticism element regarding the force. So to a certain extent it wasn't much of a stretch for me to assume and accept that some force mumbo-jumbo kept him from dying.. If I could accept Luke could talk to ghosts when I was a kid, the Maul thing wasn't really that difficult.

I felt the same way. I thought his comeback was pretty silly, but once established I really liked the new, yet familiar character adding a really interesting element to the overall TCW storyline.

Andy Wylde likes this.