main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Darth Maul's survival story. Sliced in half...what happens next?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    In TPM there should have been cutscene after the credits of Maul survival.

2. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Actually, Lucas did that.

RetropME likes this.
  3. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    I wonder, did the Son help Maul for his survival or not...

The_Phantom_Calamari likes this.
  4. Iron Lung

Iron Lung Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2015
    It was at that moment that Maul realised the error of his ways and turned from the Dark Side putting his faith instead in the Almighty Dollar.

Obviously his survival is absurd but he was sensationally popular and there are still active threads on this forum which are essentially sulks that he got beaten. It was apparent that there was a market for further adventures of Darth Maul and cash to be made so the EU brought him back. Truly the power of the Dark Side pales before the Almighty Dollar. Whatever.

My general recommendation is to continue your wise policy of ignoring everything outside the movies, or at least treating them as, occasionally enjoyable, 'tributes' to the franchise or as 'what if's' rather than as a real part of it.

propeller and V-2 like this.
  5. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    My general recommendation is to continue your wise policy of ignoring everything outside the movies, or at least treating them as, occasionally enjoyable, 'tributes' to the franchise or as 'what if's' rather than as a real part of it.
    -------------

this x1000

propeller likes this.
  6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'd suggest exploring the expansive material and enjoying what you like. Canon doesn't really matter unless you determine it does. :)

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The EU brought back Darth Maul? o_O
    Could have sworn it was Lucas?
    There is a wealth of stories beyond the movies and the newly returned Darth Maul.
    You are going to limit yourself just because of that?

RetropME and Sudooku like this.
  8. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    Or he thought that Darth Maul is eliminated too early, and that was a big mistake for Prequel series.

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    What's the difference?

10. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    It's ideological, not capitalistic.

11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Bringing Maul back would bring in more money for his new action figures and the newly released episodes. How is it not a cash grab? No difference imo.

12. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Wasn't Maul brought back around the same time the 3d TPM hit the cinemas? Around the same time his face was all over the supermarkets, posters, etc?

13. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Why is it a cash grab? Because people like Darth Maul? Is George Lucas only allowed to create stories about characters that people don't give a crap about? At least that way, no one could accuse him of trying to sell action figures.

cwustudent, Sudooku and Andy Wylde like this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    New action figures for Maul from TCW and since it was around the time of the TPM 3D release, more exposure for Maul, TCW, and TPM. How is that not a cash grab? Feels disrespectful to Savage, Dooku, Grievous, Ventress and the like. Savage was an awesome new character only to become second fiddle when Maul came back. And Grievous needs all of the help he can get. Maul died 12 or so years before OOU. Why else bring him back? Focus on the characters that actually impact the era!

15. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    I really can't complain much about Maul returning in TCW. I mean Starscream returned as a ghost on the original Transformers series!

16. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    He would probably say: "Because money."

17. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    I like the action-figure of Mandalore-Maul very much. And Ventress is still alive. There will be a new action-figure with blond hair in the future, I guess.

And, who knows, it can turn out, that Savage Opress wasn't even dead at Mandalore but the green ichor kept him alive while he was found consciousless and brought to a new hidden destination. But now he is just like he was in the Nightbrother's village. But to face Maul again would be a problem I guess. What would Maul say, when he finds Savage just living an ordinary live now apart from being a Sith anymore?

18. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    I think it is not fair to blame Maul for his eagerness to build a fortune quickly after his resurrection. He and Savage just started from zero. He didn't inherit a big fortune neither from his former master nor fromt their killed families like Plagueis and Sidious could. Maul still believed in the Grand Plan of the Sith.

19. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    It doesn't sit comfortably with me that after being cut in half that he somehow survived, it doesn't seem right. I have still to watch TCW episodes that feature him. Do they explain how he survived?

I wouldn't like to see him brought back in some capacity in new SW movies. However a pre-TPM appearance in a standalone film wouldn't be too bad.

whostheBossk likes this.
  20. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    In TCW this is not explained very much. You just see Maul how he is in that cave at Lotho Minor, when Savage Opress is coming to take him from there to Dathomir.

A story what had happened to Maul after the fall of Naboo you find in the Comic: "The Sith-Hunters", starring Darth Maul and Savage Opress. There you have the whole story of Lotho Minor in flash-backs.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside

Beezer likes this.
  22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Not outright. Though given that Darth Plagueis was said to find a way to stop death, it isn't unreasonable to assume that Maul figured it out for himself.

Marco1907 likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Though we don't know when Plagueis was killed this time around. And would Palpatine really reveal that to Maul?

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Not really, no. Filoni & Co. supposedly had conversations about it but haven't told us about the content of those conversations. I take that to mean they really have no idea.

Plagueis had worked on that for a long time, though. Prior to TPM Maul was just being used as Sidious' assassin and I don't find it very likely that he had been extensively experimenting with midichlorian manipulation on the side.

zompusbite and AndyLGR like this.
  25. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    "Was said to find a way to stop death" ...yes said by Palpatine the compulsive liar while manipulating Anakin to do his bidding. That in itself is highly dubious, let alone contradicting that very story by saying Plagueis wasn't the only one who discovered the secret. Palpatine's apprentice 13 years earlier also happened to work it out, & just in time before he was sliced in half.

So Sheev's master AND his apprentice both cracked the cheating death thing but he himself could not. What a dunce that guy was ;)