main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Darth," Overused?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by BigMackDaddy, Mar 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigMackDaddy

BigMackDaddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 6, 2003
    Does anyone else feel that the first name/title 'Darth' is way overused in the Star Wars universe?

For me, there is only one Darth, and that is Vader. All the rest (Maul, Tyrannus, Bain, etc) are just an attempt to imitate or out do Vader.

2. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I disagree. "Darth" is simply a title. Darth Maul, Darth Sidious, Darth Tyrannus and Darth Vader are all different characters with their own personalities.

3. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Darth Garth!!!

Darth can be overused. I like Sith Lord better... it has more punch.

4. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    "Darth," Overused?

definitly.

darth is vaders, and only vaders name

maul and sidiuos would have had creative first names too if if wernt for a little case of writers block.

5. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    How can a title be overused? "Darth" isn't his name. It's like Sir Alec Guiness, Sir Anthony Hopkins, Sir Ian McKellan. Is Sir being overused?

L8r

6. fosh-bantus88

Oct 27, 2003
    ^^^ yeah, so what if all the jedis in the prequels had the first name "obi"

i guess you couldnt complain, because if George decides something is a title, then, by that kind of logic, it must be universally embraced.

EDIT: :D POST # 200 :D

7. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    What evidence is there to support Darth being anything but a title? The only time I can think of anyone referring to Vader as "Darth" was when Obi-Wan did it in ANH, and knowing what we now know, it could be seen as a verbal jab. "Only a master of evil, Darth." "You can't win, Darth. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." Anakin fell from grace and Obi-Wan was pointing that out in his own little way.

Works for me.

L8r

8. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I like Darth being used as a Sith title, and its hardly overused, only 4 characters use it and only 2 of those 4 at any one time.

9. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    What evidence is there to support Darth being anything but a title?

Didn't Sidious say "This is my apprentice, Darth Maul" in TPM?

It's a title, and not overused at all.

10. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    So is Chancellor, Senator, Queen, and Princess over used too?

Darth is a title.

11. BigMackDaddy

BigMackDaddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 6, 2003
    Was it meant as a title in the original trilogy?

12. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
  13. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    I like the idea of a universal "evil" title.

Vader will always be for me the badest Darth of them all but I don't mind other, lesser Sith using the prefix.

14. fosh-bantus88

Oct 27, 2003

in the OT palps was just called "the emporer"

then in the PT they had to go and make up a sith name for him, and george rightly decided that sidious and maul needed to become more "sith" so instead of something original, he just cut corners and made "darth" a title.

maybe if darth was a title in the OT, i would believe you guys, but its clearly not.

15. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Darth is a title for the Sith which clearly says that this figure is a Sith Master.

There are only two Sith in the originals. The Emperor already has a title. SO he will not be Emperor Darth Palpatine, that sounds silly. So Vader is the only one that goes by Darth.

Lack of evidence against the case, is not proof of what you are saying.

-Seldon

16. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    in the OT palps was just called "the emporer"

Well we see that Palpatine is a very public figure in the Prequels, so its not unusual they would continue to call him something like Emperor Palpatine, as that is how the majority know him, they are not going to just start calling him Darth Sidious. Its also not known yet if anyone in the OT other than the Jedi and Vader even know if Palpatine is actually a Sith, so of course he is going to be known as the Emperor instead of Sidious.

17. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    How can "Darth" be overused? It is a title, not his name. In the Jedi Order, you have Master Windu, Master Yoda, Master Obi-Wan/Master Kenobi, Master Qui-Gon, etc. Is "Master" overused?

18. fosh-bantus88

Oct 27, 2003
    so, if in TPM, obi wan was obi gon jins apprentice, and then started training obi anakin, that would be alright with you?

darth certainly makes a more catchy title than obi, but its the same deal. after three classic movies that identify one person by a name, its kind of dissapointing to learn that the name isnt as original as we all thought.

besides, "darth vader" sounds a hell of a lot better than any of the "darth(evil sounding adjective)"

19. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    Sorry, but I've never had a problem with it. I never considered "Darth" to be Vader's first name. Most people called him "Lord Vader" or just "Vader" anyway. I don't see why Master Yoda and Master Kenobi are okay, but Darth Vader and Darth Maul aren't.

L8r

20. woozlindemon

woozlindemon Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2003
    I like that "Darth" has become a title, insead of a name. If you don't, well, can't change that. No, Darth was not originally intended as a title. It was intended as a name. This means nothing, however, since in the original story, Darth Vader wasn't intended to be Luke's father.
    Heck, if arguing original intentions, Vader wasn't even the Sith Lord. Valorum was in the original draft.

21. VCT

VCT Jedi Master star 3

Jun 28, 2001

Actually it is quite evident from early Star Wars story treatments that "Darth" was once just a name. The earliest known rough script of "The Star Wars" is dated from May 1974 and it is obvious just by reading it that "Darth Vader" is the character's name, and Darth is not a title. In fact he is an Imperial General and his name including his title is General Darth Vader. In subsequent and final versions of the script, he dons his now-familiar black armor and his title became Lord instead of General, and he was referred to as Lord Darth Vader. Therefore "Darth" is not in fact a title even in the days of the OT, it was actually meant to be his name.

So, the use of "Darth" as an official Sith title, rather than just a name, is an altogether more recent invention. Before anyone accuses me of complaining about it, I'm not -- it's now become a title and that's fine with me. But I just wanted to point out that there is in fact more than enough evidence that proves that "Darth" was once a name, not a title.

22. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    so, if in TPM, obi wan was obi gon jins apprentice, and then started training obi anakin, that would be alright with you?

Ummmm... what? Okay, it took me like fifteen minutes to figure out what you were asking. Then I was like, "Oh okay. I'm dumb." ;)

Back to the question. "Obi" is part of Obi-Wan's name. It's not his title. If it were then, yes, that would be alright with me. "Darth" is the same as "Admiral" or "Captain" or "Professor" or whatever. Darth Vader's first is not Darth. His birth name is Anakin Skywalker. His Sith name is Vader. His sith title is Darth.

23. DINVADER26

DINVADER26 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Exactly. Vader often called people "General", witout adding their last name.

24. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    they compensated in the prequels by overusing Padawan.

25. Stormtrooper_Shrink

Stormtrooper_Shrink Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Padawan, like Darth is a title, or a rank. It's like in the army, or royalty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.