main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Darth," Overused?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by BigMackDaddy, Mar 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    "................now I am the Master"
    "Only a master of evil, Darth"

It was intended to be his name but when the phenomenon
    set it I imagine a great many things changed - which isnt a bad thing. GL probably reconsidered the meaning of the word/name "Darth" as early as the conceptual stages of ESB. Thats early enough for me to not care about the blip. It works better as a title, anyway.

Master Skywalker:Darth Vader.
    Same Sh@#, Different Morals.
    Overused, definetly not.

2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Something to add, as I've just noticed it.

The Annotated Screenplays have Obi-wan calling Anakin "Darth" twice...
    Vader: When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master.

Ben: Only a master of evil, Darth.
    Vader: Your powers are weak, old man.

Ben: You can't win, Darth. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.[/i][/b][/blockquote]Seems pretty clear..."Darth" [i]was[/i] his first name, as it was in all the prewrites prior. It came a Sith title [i]afterwards[/i], hence the acronym theory is bogus.

3. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Exactly.
    Also, what about When he is referred to (out of universe) by Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Vader? Or Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith?
    'Acronym' spelled out would be Dark Lord of the Sith Dark Lord of the Sith Vader.
    Georgy boy can be sloppy at times, what with wishing wishfuly wished wishes away, but that... oh sweet God no [face_laugh]
    Darth in and of itself is a 'title'. More akin to 'Brother' or 'Father' as in religeous arenas as opposed to, say, 'General'. In that sense, 'Lord' would be the official title for 'Brother' Vader of the Sith.
    Hmmm make sense?

4. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Now you're just trying to get on my good side.... [face_plain]

:p

5. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    That's impossible.
    Everyone knows bashers have no good side.

;)

6. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    You've not seen me defend Lucas in 3SA. ;)

7. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    "................now I am the Master"
    "Only a master of evil, Darth"

It was intended to be his name

Possibly, but imagine a contemporary war movie with the following dialogue: "Only a master of evil, General." See? It still works.

8. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Well yes, it does still work. That's what I argued in my post. However, it was still obviously a name at one point.
    For another contemporary reference, take LotR. Remove any instance where it says 'My name is Sam' 'His name is Sam' etc, then have Jackson or Tolkien later on say 'Sam' is a title and even that would work.

9. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    HEY! Durwood's back! :D

10. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    It could be used that way Durwood but given the history of Kenobi and Vader I dont think it was. However if he was goading him with sarcasm then calling him Darth could be seen as an angry acceptance of the abomination that his close friend has become. I watched SW last night because of this thread and there is look of awe/horror from Kenobi when he sees Vader for the first time in many years.

11. SHB-JR

SHB-JR Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    Nah, too much of a reach! ^^^^^ Ben says Darth 'twice' in a real first name mocking way. Darth was his name.
    Only in the PT era did it as many have said become a title.

I hate retro- continuity !!!!!

Over used ? I don't really mind it, but refuse to allow people to get away with saying it was 'always' a title. SW has undergone slow evolution like any good idea.
    It wasn't a compleate 'holy revelation' as some try to make out :)

SHB JR

12. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    obi wan had no experience with sith lords names until vader....he fought maul and dooku, but neither one called themselves "darth"...it's a title, not a first name

All the sith lords after darth bane have the title darth, as a sign of respect for how bane saved the sith order

13. Kyle-Katarn_wannabe

Kyle-Katarn_wannabe Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2004
    Question: If Darth is a title for the sith lords then do the Jedi have titles as well?

14. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    They sure do. Knight, Padawan, Master.

15. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "Master" and apprentice - the Sith are an offshoot of the Jedi. In fact, even the Jedi have a "Rule of Two", being that a Jedi Master can only have one apprentice at a time. This was made clear in TPM.

16. anthonymaul

anthonymaul Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2004
    No way,we need more
    Darth.

17. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    The Jedi should have treated their padawans like college students. Pack em like sardines in a stadium-sized classroom.
    Anakin has issues as it is. Could you imagine him in a setting like that and feeling neglected? :D
    Also on a seperate note. We did luck out. He could've decided 'Vader' should be a title. Now that would've caused continuity problems ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.