main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Darth Plagueis is Snoke? (Episode VIII & IX)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DANNASUK, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Oh god...

2. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I believe PH is being straightforward, but it's not like he would tell the truth even if he knew it.

Remember, Vader killed Anakin, until it was decided they were the same character. Maul was killed, until they decided he wasn't. Fett was killed, yet the new canon implies he escaped the pit.

Jon Snow was killed, until he was brought back to life.

If they want to make Snoke and Plagueis the same in either VIII or IX, they will

3. GoingInside

GoingInside Jedi Master star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    Here's the thing... Yes, Snoke COULD be Plagueis. But I'm almost positive he won't be, and here's why... too many of you are looking at this from the perspective of a die-hard Star Wars fan. Someone who has watched the movies multiple times and read the books. For the vast majority of the audience, though, that's not the case.

If, in Episode IX, Snoke looks into camera and says "I was once known as Darth Plagueis," the response of most viewers would be "Who's that?"

Most people don't know who the guy is, they won't remember the ONE line from RotS that mentions him, and it's a completely meaningless reveal unless they have context. Which they don't.

The people making these movies aren't making them for the die-hard Star Wars fan. They don't care about minor characters mentioned in passing.

4. PlagueisWise

PlagueisWise Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 28, 2015
    The problem with this logic is, regardless if he's Plagueis or not, you still have to give an explanation as to who Snoke is. It never would be as simple as stating that he was once known as Darth Plagueis. You would always couple that statement with "I trained the former Emperor in the ways of the Dark Side." That's all the background to Plagueis that the general audience needs to establish him as a huge threat. You get your context by him saying that he's Sidious' master and has found the secret to immortality.

No one is the audience, not even hard core fans, have any idea who Snoke is when he was referred to as Supreme Leader by Ben and Hux. At least with Plagueis, he's tied into the mythology of Star Wars already and has a reason for existing (eg. his search for immortality that was already mentioned). You just have to reference that again, just as they're going to have to reference where Snoke has been all this time and what his plans and motivations are.

There are plenty of ways to attack the theory but the audience not knowing who Plagueis is doesn't work. Especially since it's one of the most common theories on the internet, and not just hard core Star Wars fan sites.

If Snoke is just Snoke, as is likely, you still need to explain his background. The exact same way that you would have to explain things if he was Plagueis. It isn't any more complicated. They are both completely unknown quantities outside of Plagueis being the one who trained Darth Sidious.

Snoke being Plagueis is just like all the Easter Eggs that Marvel throws into their movies. The hard core fans understand them and the regular fans learn about them from the hard core ones.

5. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    And for the very same reason, a Plagueis reveal would likely be something that both the characters and audience learn together.

PlagueisWise likes this.
  6. PlagueisWise

Feb 28, 2015
    Exactly. Just as any reveal or information about Snoke would be something that both the characters and audience learn together. In either scenario, the audience has to learn that background.

Audience knowledge of Plagueis is the worst way to attack the theory.

LunarMoth likes this.
  7. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Indeed. There are far, far better ways to attack the theory. :)

Dra--- and Dagobah Dragonsnake like this.
  8. PlagueisWise

Feb 28, 2015
    Hey I'm not disagreeing with you there at this point. I don't believe it any longer after these tweets from Pablo.

I can still hope something changes and Plagueis is in these films but as of now, Pablo ruled it out.

The audience knowledge argument just really gets under my skin because it doesn't make any sense.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  9. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

And that has shut down the theory. A pity really. Why can't fans just speculate and theorise without hassling Lucasfilm employees for months on end?

10. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    LOL, then there was the Snokening. How much more clear can it be?

Dra---, TK327 and Mungo Baobab like this.
  11. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Pablo also goes on to say that Plagueis was never a part of GL's story outline for the ST.

6h6 hours ago
    Pablo Hidalgo ‏@pablohidalgo
    @Joseph_Plant @Korsof2a_34 @brian_nov He started this trilogy's development. He did not include Plagueis, for what it's worth.

12. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Plus, the whole point of Plagueis' story was that he could save others from death, "but not himself." It would undermine his whole thing to have come back.

Dra--- and TheBBP like this.
  13. WookieeRage

WookieeRage Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2016
    That was Sidious' line. What's Sidious really going to say when it comes to the assassination attempt of his master
    (If not successful with it)? "I'm PRETTY sure his apprentice...killed him in his sleep.."

14. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003

Pablo also addressed this very thing. Whether or not Plagueis even existed is contingent on you taking Palpatine's word for it. So, if you're thinking he could be lying about killing his master, he could also be lying about him ever being alive.

Given the nature of the Sith, and the fact that Plagueis never appears in the movies, it's far more likely he's not living at all.

15. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    New theory: Plagueis and Snoke are possessed by the same entity.

Dra--- likes this.
  16. WookieeRage

Feb 3, 2016
    Oh well that goes with my theory that Snoke is undead of sorts... Using the Dark Side to keep his Corporeal form grounded instead of fading away.

17. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Either way, the Plagueis=Snoke theory has been absolutely and officially debunked (again).

Dra--- and thejeditraitor like this.
  18. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I was joking. It's actually kind of fun to think up the next convoluted theory to get around the statements being made.

19. WookieeRage

Feb 3, 2016
    You don't HAVE to post in here Artoo-Dion, if it's, ya know, SO hard to get around the statements.

20. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    officially debunked. end thread.

Dra--- and Wildcatbarry like this.
  21. WookieeRage

Feb 3, 2016
    MOD EDIT: Not appropriate

22. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    If Snoke = Pablo Hidalgo? [face_thinking]

TheBBP likes this.
  23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    If you have nothing to add to this thread other than demanding it be locked or to discuss other users I suggest you move on. The thread will be locked when and if we decide it's appropriate. Thank you.

PlagueisWise likes this.
  24. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Snoke is Tarkin, who is Revan. Revan spelled backwards is Midiclorians, therefore Snoke is Plagueis.

Dra--- and Wildcatbarry like this.
  25. X Wing

X Wing Jedi Master star 1

Feb 20, 2016
    Hi all,

This is an edited re-post of mine where I was initially inspired by Oryx-I post the same subject.

Many who I have spoken to, have said or theorized that the "Real" Phantom Menace is Darth Plagueis (after watching Episode 3) because Darth Maul was to obvious in Episode 1 and so was Sidous. They were both in plain site...no mystery there.....but Episode 3 should make you ask questions about Episode 1.

Yes, many could argue...."but we never heard of Plagueis in Ep I or Ep II".

For those of you who watched Scream 3, the character Randy in the movie talks about the rules of a Trilogy:

Further exploring this above quote and applying it to the Prequels we find out something about Palpatine's past in Episode 3 and something about his former master. Hence, we can then start to re-think about the events that have transpired between Episode 1 to 3 and also think about when Palpatine killed his former master, either before, during or after training Darth maul.

We can also speculate who really created Anakin, was it Plagueis or Palpatine?

Now that we have three sets of Trilogies:

Prequel Trilogy
    Original Trilogy
    Sequel Trilogy

Would it not be safe to say that the Sequel Trilogy should somehow tie-in to the Prequel Trilogy, the third set of trilogies tying into the first set of trilogies:

And as Richard Marquand had stated in 1983 after or during filming of Episode 6:

We're going to meet a "supreme intellect" who controlled Darth Vader and also Luke....hmmmmm...could Plagueis be such a character?

Could Plagueis have created Anakin, whereby Palpatine then "created" Darth Vadar in the first set of trilogies and Plagueis would control the fate of Luke in the third set of Trilogies???

That would make for a pretty compelling and stronger sequel trilogy than to have Snoke be some new run of the mill bad guy IMO.

lawton likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.