main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Darth Plagueis... LIVES?!?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I wonder why the "Darth Plagueis" book was resurrected in the last couple years?

It seemed that Lucas himself thought it was "time" that the story was told, and he had input throughout the process of Luceno writing the book. I'd bet that bringing Plagueis' death so close to Episode I was one of Lucas's ideas.

I believe it was also mentioned, in an interview shortly after the book was released, that there were already "plans" to cover the mystical ceremony about 10 years before Episode I when Plagueis and Sidious succeeded in throwing the Force out of balance.

We've also recently had Denning's "Apocalpyse" book bringing the Mortis idea back into the plot, with Luke Skywalker suggesting that perhaps the Force was never really balanced. Palpatine is gone. But Plagueis?

We've also seen it's possible for Sith to unnaturally cling to life throughout the EU, and most recently with Darth Maul

And now we have the Sequel Trilogy being announced.

Coincidence?

"Plagueis was the most powerful Sith Lord who ever lived.

But could he be the only one who never died?"

[​IMG][​IMG]

Alright, we are limiting the Episode VII Crazy Speculation About Everything In The EU In The Past Decade threads. Keep it in the main thread. And limit the baseless speculation, please.

Super_Battle_Droid likes this.
  2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Before the sequel trilogy, I would have said that I'd much rather him have just died, the possibility of him surviving just being Palpatine's paranoid nature. Now, I don't really know what I think.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  3. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Now THAT would make a cool story. And it wouldn't quite interfer with the EU -- it would be like a side track.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    While in the Disney thread I was originally just referencing Barriss_Coffee's long running joke about San Hill, I must admit the idea of Plagueis still being alive is genuinely starting to grow on me. Like you said, the novel suddenly returned, we've seen resurrections given weight, and Denning wrote the whole Mortis thing into FOTJ at the last minute, which is something we've only seen elaborated on in any detail anywhere else in Plagueis's writings in the Book of Sith...

I'm truly fond of the Son of the Chosen One finishing his father's work to defeat the "Father" of the Sith.

It has a kind of generational thing to it... with Anakin vs Palpatine very much still at the centre of the whole nine-episode saga, but with Plagueis's obsession with immortality where it all began, and then with the Chosen One living on through his family where it will end -- with Anakin still defeating Plagueis, even after Anakin himself has gone. There's an actual worthwhile message in that too, about how family is the real path to being remembered, not some vain pursuit of personal-immortality.

(And reading that back cover again, I've just realised the irony of it being above an image of Maul. :p)

Valin__Kenobi and Summer Dreamer like this.
  5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Perhaps Plagueis was the one who incited the Tuskens to kidnap Shmi, to help push Anakin to the dark side.

Perhaps Plagueis was the one who stopped Maul from dying, to challenge Sidious and Tyrannus.

We also know that the Jedi Council's vision of the future in the PT was clouded by the dark side.

What's Palpatine's excuse in the OT? Unless his vision was also clouded by the dark side...

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I don't for a second think that Luceno's novel has anything to do with the as yet to be written (without Lucas' input) Ep 7.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Lucas delivered detailed outlines of the Sequel Trilogy to Disney, it was part of the package, them saying they'd make it. He's trusted LFL to Kathleen Kennedy, a close friend. She's not going to totally dump the ideas.

8. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I did not know that. Doesn't change my opinion about Plagueis though.

9. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Well, it depends on what Lucas outlined and what scenario that falls under. As an aside, if Lucas did demand a total reboot and the obliteration of the majority of post-Endor EU Disney was brain-dead for taking the deal, since they just bought five billion dollars worth of media and public firestorm.

In a complete reboot, Disney should come up with a completely new challenge within the framework of Endor's immedaite aftermath, ignoring all non-movie sources. That probably leads to something vaguely Dark Empire-ish, a resurgent Empire under a new Force-using leader. Tht person could be Plagueis, but I think it would make much more sense to stear clear of EU elements entirely. If they are going to make the break they should make it as clean and complete as possible. Otherwise people are going to try and bridge the gap.

In a Post-Crucible Scenario that respects canon to a greater than lesser degree, Plagueis is a possibility for the emergent villain. So is Abeloth, and so is the possibility of a completely new threat. A Plagueis-Abeloth connection is also possible. It could be that Plagueis, with his control over the midi-chlorians, absorbs the semi-mindless Abeloth entity post-Apocalypse and dominates it completely - becoming the UBER-SITH.

That seems both incredibly corny and also awesome. Sounds like Lucas to me.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Plagueis is dead. Remember the rumor that Harvey Dent was coming back? Yeah.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    If anybody is Undying, it's His Imperial Majesty the Galactic Emperor.

LelalMekha and darklordoftech like this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I wouldn't mind having Plaqueis coming back as the main villain of the ST.

13. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Plagueis anchored his Spirit to One-One-Four-Dee, waited around until he was called in to rebuild Vader to take out out his former Apprentice. But those plans got whacked when the shell got crushed as Him's Apprentice got up off the table... So like Tenebrous, Plagueis is stuck in one place, except his is a trash dump.:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.