main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Darth Plagueis the Wise

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Slowpokeking, Feb 9, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Palpatine's existence made him fallible, because he was not a god. That was the point. Everyone is fallible.

There are many people in my life that I trust, and they have all been wrong or said something I disagreed with at one time or another, usually many times.

As far as there being things the Council would never tell him...he can be mad at the Council all he wants, but there is still a large chasm between that and blindly following Palpatine.

ShaneP likes this.
  2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    And blindly following him while killing children.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I never said that Palpatine was a god. But again, how does having knowledge of something make him fallible? Especially when said knowledge is proven true by your own existence?

As opposed to blindly following the Jedi?

Considering he's killed children before, that wasn't much of a leap for him.

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    He should not blindly follow anyone. That's the point. He should think for himself. It's not an either/or situation with blindly following Palpatine or the Jedi, unless he does not have a brain.

And you again missed my point. Having knowledge does not make him fallible. Existing as a fallible being makes him fallible, because he is not a god. Therefore, "Anakin trusted him" is not a reason to automatically assume that Palpatine was right.

5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yet, what about Anakin being created by Midichlorians and Darth Maul walking around alive? Doesn't those two things support Palpatine's story, where he says that a Sith Lord could do these two things? Doesn't that lend credence to the notion that the Force is powerful enough to create life and stop death?

Darth Sareas likes this.
  6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Doh! Forgot about that. :oops:

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, as I said earlier. But Palpatine said he did not know how to do it, and asked Anakin to blindly obey him based only on the vague notion that they could figure it out.

FightoftheForgotten likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Right. That's why Palpatine told him to go to the Temple. Why he brought up the Tusken slaughter after Dooku's death. He's spent years convincing Anakin that revenge was justifiable. That killing in cold blood was worth it and made him a better Jedi. He even knows what he's done is wrong, but he also knows it is also right to him.

He asked his Apprentice to follow his lead, just as Obi-wan asked Anakin to follow his lead. And Anakin does it because he agrees with Palpatine that the Jedi must be eliminated, because they will come after the two of them. He's betrayed the Jedi in the worst possible way and there's no going back. He must do this to protect Palpatine, himself and Padme.

As to it being vague, think of this. If Plagueis could figure it out, then anyone could figure it out given time and training. Just as the Jedi Order was founded on a vague notion that this mysterious power called the Force could be used beneficially.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If someone knows a lot about the Nazis, would you suspect them of being a neo-Nazi?

Sudooku, Arawn_Fenn and Lulu_Mars like this.
  10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Not really. They could be someone who is up on their history and is fascinated about the rise and fall of a political party. The same way someone is a theologian but is also agnostic.

Sudooku, darklordoftech and Lulu Mars like this.
  11. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    That's a pretty good analogy to me it holds some merit to this particular situation but I feel there are many more variables in this discussion between Anakin and palpatine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Darth Sareas

Darth Sareas Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2021
    The Force is able to create life, sustain life, and stop death. The Sith seek to tap into this power. For even the Jedi admit, “There is no death, there is the Force,” it is possible then to harness the Force to suspend death and create life, for the Sith bend the Force to their will. Plagueis attempted to do this, and was successful.

Sudooku likes this.
  13. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    If they started referring to Adolf as "Wise" then yes.

14. The True Phantom Menace in Episode 1 is Plagueis not Palpatine for me

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2021
    Sudooku likes this.
  15. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    It is so much different to see TPM after having read the DP novel, huh?;) That scene, when Maul talks with Sidious in the LiMerge building - just imagine this to be filmed from Plagueis' point of view.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    DarthBoba and PCCViking like this.
  16. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I’m trying to remember where I heard a quote about Darth Plagueis’s name being a reference to the “plague” he unleashed on the galaxy in the form of Darth Sidious. Did it just come from a reference book or was it a source closer to Lucas?

The opera scene is primarily meant to offer the Sith’s ultimate seduction to Anakin. But the scene also gives us insight into Sidious, where he come from and what his psychology is like. But what else was behind the introduction of Darth Plagueis? Does he tie in with the question of midichlorians, which Lucas wanted to explore further but toned down because of public reactions?

17. Thomas Heath

Thomas Heath Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2022
    Were it not for a backstory knowledge, I'd be in a position to demonstrate myself.
    I'm referring to Palpatine's history.

A meta belonging, of mine, in respect to Revenge of the Sith, is that Sheev Palpatine is simply a victim of left-wing ideology's absolutism privilege not having manifested throughout existence.

Of course, Plagueis is the subject of Palpatine, so I can.

The psychological composition, of Plagueis, by me, is that his mythology is his left-wing absolutism.
    The composition, of this, is that as psychology is a mythology construct, the mythology as left-wing idea needs to be understood as not needing a balance

18. Thomas Heath

Thomas Heath Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2022

"But what else was behind the introduction of Darth Plagueis?"
    I enjoyed this edition, of the observation platform you give to Plagueis.

The reason: it's an initial step, yet it's a sidestep as a mistake that's correct, or that's able to correct itself

19. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I use to believe Plagueis was a real Muun Sith Lord (he is in Legends) but now I am inclined to believe he was merely a means to tempt Anakin to the dark side (in Canon).

Dandelo likes this.
  20. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    @Kato Sai,
    for sure Plagueis was a means of the Dark Side to tempt Palpatine to the Dark Side first, then Palpatine:emperor: became the means to turn Anakin too.:anakin:

Kato Sai likes this.
  21. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Yeah Plagueis and his “keeping the ones he cared about from dying” was the carrot Palpatine dangled to get Anakin on board. He then tell the newly baptized Vader that once he cleanses the Jedi Temple he’ll become “strong enough to save Padme.” Ah the carrot keeps danglinf with a string, a puppet string. ;)

Sudooku likes this.
  22. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    I wonder if Anakin was ever told by Palpatine, how Plagueis cared for Venamis. [face_devil]

It was quite tricky in RotS: Vader did follow Palpatine because of his caring for Padmé. Later, after her death, Vader followed Palpatine, because there wasn't anything or anyone left to follow anymore - only Palpatine and the Dark Side remained to cling to.

Last edited: May 7, 2022
    Kato Sai likes this.
  23. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I loved in Sith Lords novel, Palpatine and Vader’s relationship is tested, them both marooned on a planet.
    Vader after losing Padme became a slave to his Master, owing the Emperor for saving his life and giving him a suite that keeps him alive.

24. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Based on Episode III, Darth Plagueis really did have the power to create life and to stop death in others. It’s ambiguous whether he created Anakin, though it’s presented as a real possibility, but one that ultimately doesn’t affect whether Anakin is the Chosen One.

The only confirmed lie is that Darth Sidious learned his master’s power. He admits later on that only Plagueis knew that power. An earlier version of the script had Sidious take credit for Anakin’s creation, but that idea was either abandoned or would’ve been a lie in that older version too.

It’s also intriguing that Lucas connected this power to midi-chlorians, and what we know of his sequel ideas is that he would’ve explored that portion of the Force further. Specifically, he says that the power to retain consciousness after death is related to the Whills. So perhaps whatever Plagueis was doing somehow relates to those more mystical aspects of the Force and whatever afterlife is available in the Star Wars universe.

Sudooku and Watcherwithin like this.
  25. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Thank you very much for your inspiring thoughts. :)

Actually in the aftermath of re-watching Ep. I-III, IMHO it isn't by chance Padmé's Nubian cruiser had to land at Tatooine, just as it was not arbitrarily, that Obi-Wan discovered the Clone Army at Kamino shortly before the clone wars started. Anakin was designed to be Plagueis' force-amassing project in one human (there may be more). And Plagueis was alive during almost the whole of Ep. I. So I strongly presume, that Plagueis somehow managed to have Padmé's ship land on Tatooine and not at nearby Nelvaan for instance.

The only question is, if Palpatine knew about this human force nexus called Anakin or not. In the Darth Plagueis novel he muses in his talk with Dooku silently:' Nine years old... Conceived by the force... Is it possible... ?' An indication that he knew of Plagueis' former experiments. There was also the notion, that Palpatine hasn't felt Anakin's force potential at first, but that may be because he himself is veiling his force powers almost always and in this state of restraint it can be difficult to feel the force elsewhere.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    Sauron_18 likes this.