main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference Darth Real Life: in which we monitor the most dreaded Sith Lord's attacks upon our precious RP

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Hammurabi, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    *batters off DRL, which took him offline for six whole horrible days*

I have a DRL question.

If you are aware that you will be less available for two months, should you make your players aware and fight through it when you can, or simply close the game for the two months, to allow better quality posting to take place in the aftermath. DRL is likely, in this circumstance, to attack a great many of my players anyway - and as this is my third and important year of my degree I'm debating which direction to lean towards, either way.

Opinions?

2. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    Close it. Why push yourself to check something that might not be running anyway?

It will just be a time consumer for you and your players.

-B-

3. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Well Sinre . . . it has it´s pro and cons, surely.

If you close a game for three month there is a very chance you won´t have any game left once you return. Three month of a break is simply a lot of time. It´s hard to find back into a plot anyway.

But if you don´t see any real chance of making it, bluebeast got a point. Why try and fail? You would only frustrate players and yourself. If it can´t be done . . . it can´t be done.

Ideal would be an End to your story, of course. So players aren´t left alone. A Co-GM would be another workable solution. But if there is nothing you can do about it . . . make a clear cut. Happens. Nobody is to blame. And that´s a risk we take when signing up for a game.

4. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Clicking on a hyperlink ain't rocket science, and it ain't exactly over-exertion.

I mean, maybe it is for you...but I don't have much difficulty in clicking on a link. It's hard to keep up when there are no tags for your charrie.

5. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    He's trying to get his degree. Surely, one outways the other.

-B-

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I suppose that I could cut off 11 BBY before the Apocalypse with a cliffhanger, but 41 ABY is just getting started. Equally, however, Sir_Draco is off from a certain point, so I'd lose him. :( But a lot of us are going to be more busy during these two months as well, indeed.

7. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    I say don't close it. There's no reason you can't inform your players the game is shifting into a slower period, and that your updates will come once every two weeks, vs. once every week. While you may lose some interest, I argue some posts are better than none. The truly interested will stick with it, and if it dies, well then you're no worse off than if you locked it.

It is a very rare case that a game can return from the dead. It just doesn't seem to happen all that much. Players move on, interests get reassigned, priorities shift. Keeping some interest is better than none at all.

Buts that just my ever humble opinion, ;)

-I_H

8. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    *considers*

Well, I'll do that, methinks. Thank you for your opinions, guys. Reducing things to once a fortnight will take some stress from me, and keep things going moderately well.

9. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    But that's irrelevant.

I wasn't talking about Sinre. I'm talking about the issue in general, and trying to be devil's advocate at the same time. I'm trying to get a degree too; many of us are.

Sinre needs to do what's best for him; there's no real need to apologize for having to back off a bit on the boards, temp-locking a game, what have you. I just disagree with this whole concept of giving a cursory glance to games being a big time consumer. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone with how I've tried to go about disagreeing.

10. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    For what it's worth, I agree with Hammer's suggested approach. If someone's going to be that mean and nasty that they're going to quit because you're not available every single day or because (shock horror) you have a life outside the RPF, then you're well-rid of that player in any event. And public notifications work wonders, I've found. :)

Having said that, I have a fair amount of sympathy for Peng's point of view as well. I'm very conscious that Darth RL problems tend to interfere with our games here in a big way, and there's nothing than can or should be done about that. If it's a choice between your degree and the RPF, the degree should always take priority. What we do here is recreation.

But I do have a problem with people who sign up for a game and then show very little commitment to it. It's a fine balance, I know, but there are some individuals who really just don't take the time at all. Joining ten RPGs and posting one-liners in each is (IMHHO) a poor allocation of your resources and your commitment, simply because you're much less likely to post quality or put much of yourself into an RPG if you're trying to keep nine others on the boil at the same time.

I'm going a little tangential here, but I actually would like to see people committing a bit more of their own creativity as players into RPGs. As in creating real plotlines for themselves, creating real backgrounds that they interact with during the game. I think I'll go raise this as a discussion issue in the GDG, but just puttin' it out there.

Oh, yeah. I'm a bit fatigued at the moment, so I might be updating my RPGs over a number of days rather than in one day as I usually do; please be patient, everyone :D

11. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Yeah, I agree that you can't just press pause on a game for three months and expect people to keep playing after that.

But I'd say though that working on several things at once - a degree, the RPF, RL - is more of a matter of focus than time. When I was doing my thesis last year, I might have been able to manage without going on a two-month hiatus from the RPF, certainly ... but I was already writing over a thousand words a day and doing countless revisions, so the last thing I wanted to do was relax by writing posts. It was also a very different style of writing, so I kept having to switch mentally between academic writing and fiction writing and ... yeah.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is :p if it's a time issue, then yeah putting games on a slower pace for a few months would work out. But if you're finding that you can't easily switch mentally between your various RPverses and university, then you're better off closing the games. (Plus if your memory is anything like mine, updating every 2 weeks would entail spending a few hours reading notes on what happened previously...)

12. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Oh, my SW/law brain can switch gears quite pleasantly. :D But the switching between the law degree and RPVerse is an interesting point, nonetheless.

Do the rest of us have this problem?

13. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    For what it's worth Sinre, I would say don't close it. It would be harder to revive a RPG after a 3 month closing than it would be after a 3 month period of reduced time and slower pace.

I don't mind waiting on a quality game, and to be honest the slower pace suits me just fine. :)

14. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Agreed, very strongly - the pace is excellent, considering many of the players seem to be in the same position as you, Sinre. :)

15. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    @ everyone who's waiting on replies from me (which is a lot of people, I know ... I've let them build up [face_blush]): I'll get to 'em within the next couple of days. Sorries. RL's just been super hectic lately.

16. Phantasmagoria

Phantasmagoria Jedi Knight

Dec 4, 2007
    I created Titanomachy.

Then I got arrested.

Now I have a whole paragraph on the RPF GM guidelines devoted to how bad of a GM I was.

Don't do drugs, kids.

17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Whoa, welcome back, Phantasmagoria. I can't comment on the reasons why you vanished... but your last post was... 12/30/07...

Whoa indeed.

That was a hefty gap.

So... you going to come back and do Titanomanchy? [face_mischief]

I wanted to be the first person to say it. :p

18. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Welcome back indeed, Titanomachy. Very glad to see you, and hope you're able to stay with us for a very long time. :)

19. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    Hey!Welcome back Phantasmagoria. You caused quite the stir with that game of yours. ;)

As Saint said, welcome back and I hope you'll be staying for a while.
    :D

20. Phantasmagoria

Phantasmagoria Jedi Knight

Dec 4, 2007
    Thanks, guys. I'm very glad to be back.

Well, I'd like to, Sinrebirth, but not quite yet. I want to make sure it goes smoothly the second time around to make up for what a complete failure the first incarnation was, so I think I'm going to be acting as a player for a little while just to get back in the groove.

Saintheart and greyjedi, barring any deus ex machina of the sort that took me out of commission before (which, by the way, is much less likely now), I plan on staying considerably longer. :)

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Already PM'd my GMs, but I figure I'd best post it here, too: I'm taking a couple of weeks of leave as a result of having various projects and finals coming up. Sporadic posting would be an underassessment.

22. NickLitYouAFlame

NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master star 5

Feb 27, 2007
    That's probably the best explanation for an absence that I have ever heard. It's good to see you around, at least. I remember being quite smitten with Titanomachy.

23. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Me, myself and SirakRomar will go on a trip. It is a corner of the world were not even city-kids like us expect to have net-access and therefore we won´t be able to post for five or even six days in any thread.

Take care girls and guys!

24. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Needless to say, I have been, and will continue to be, relatively nonexistant around here until three weeks from now, when my finals are over. After that, I'll be baa-aaaaaak...:p

25. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    Well, it's exam season around here. I guess the good news is that - or so I hear - the night is darkest just before the dawn; apparently, after this period of exams, there is a so-called 'summer break' in which I am removed of most of my present obligations. It sounds too good to be true, but we'll see in a week. Stay tuned.