main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Sidious and his Sith lightsaber

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Terpmaniac09, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parthenopaeus

Parthenopaeus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2005
    I've never seen a lightsaber I've loved more than Sidious'!

I love the fact that it's shorter and looks like it's meant for one-hand usage. Not to mention it's so elegant. I might have to buy the Master Replica version for my BDay in July, only $369. (oy!)

2. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I'm actually making the saber, I'm nearly complete, I did my first paint job on it the other day, I have a thread on it in the costuming section.
    -The saber is 7.5 inches, a person from the RPF got someone from LFL to put a ruler to it, its just enough for some two handed combat too....just enough.....

3. Richard-Drahcir

Richard-Drahcir Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    Sidious does keep his other hand on the lightsaber though.

4. JediMasterApprentice

JediMasterApprentice Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2005
    Actually Darth Sidious does fly around like yoda, don't believe me...see for yourself...
    http://img170.echo.cx/img170/1842/swepiiirotspalpatinebackflips4.gif
    And by the way that shot doesn't ruin the movie. I thought it was cool.

5. Richard-Drahcir

Feb 18, 2004
    Sidious rules with his flips.
    Remember seeing it plus his leap to the Jedi in Lego Star Wars and thought "there's no way he could do it" but he can and it rocks

6. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    The most recent Homing Beacon is just fascinating to me because we learn a lot about how the scene was originally conceived and why it was changed and how it was changed in the end. I personally would have loved to see the other version of the scene...Anakin just standing by as Palpatine seizes his lightsaber and takes the Jedi Masters to task. Would have been great!

7. Richard-Drahcir

Feb 18, 2004
    Sidious has a smaller lightsaber hilt right, so as he approaches the Jedi he could have one hand on the lightsaber, attack Agen Kolar and at the same moment give some lightning to Saeese, showing that he can use the dark side and fight at the same time.
    Now that would have rocked.

8. Maphisto86

Maphisto86 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2005
    I was definitley impressed with the whole fight scene. Was waaay too short... though I like how Darth Sidious manages to kill all the Jedi besides Mace so easily. In my opinion Palpatine/Darth Sidious lost the fight on purpose as he was stalling until Anakin arrived. It was all as he had foreseen.... [face_devil]

9. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    People should go back at the beginning of this thread and read what people thought about Sidious having a lightsaber and those who thought he wouldn't. Of course I wouldn't be saying this unless I was a supporter of Sidious having one.

10. LordGiggles

LordGiggles Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2005
    That's what I did. I saw things like " I doubt he'd use one, who would he fight?? " And things of that nature. Funny how things turn out.

11. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    I saw things like " I doubt he'd use one, who would he fight?? " And things of that nature. Funny how things turn out.

It is funny! :)

12. JediAl

JediAl Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 11, 2002
    Sidious is pretty cool but he's nowhere near Mace or Yoda. He has the edge on Mace using his force powers, but loses on both counts against Yoda.

13. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Sidious is the best on everything! Hehe, but really, he is

14. DarthRavager

DarthRavager Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    I'm a Sidious fan but I think some people are dense if they think his power lies in his midichlorian count (he clearly states Anakin will be far more powerful) or his lightsaber skill (sidious tries to avoid a direct conflict with Master Yoda). All of his power lies in his deception and stealth. I mean think about his frickin' name. If that isn't a dramatic clue I don't know what is. Yes he can mow down three jedi in seconds, yes he is an extremely powerful Sith, but he also took big gambles to get where he is by the end of ROTS. All this forseen garbage is just garbage. He forsaw Luke killing his father and taking his place and that didn't happen. From the way Yoda explains it in ESB you can forsee images and feelings but ultimately we make our own decisions. Sidious put alot more brain power to work than force power to get where he was.

Just an opinion.

15. njocraig

njocraig Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2003
    but loses on both counts against Yoda.

What movie did you see?

16. darth_sic

darth_sic Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    Lord Sidious is not only strong with the dark side of the force, but also a master of lightsaber skills. He has a beautiful lightsaber hilt and has a unique fighting technique.

17. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Okay, I'm not sure if anyone has yet noticed this, and forgive me if it's already been pointed out - but when Sidious is duelling Mace Windu,

HE IS USING ANAKIN'S LIGHTSABER!!!!

YES, the lightsaber is RED, and YES, when he FIRST takes it out, it is HIS OWN, but after THAT, LOOK CLOSELY-throughout the WHOLE DUEL, Sidious is holding ANAKIN'S lightsaber hilt!! And I KNOW what was discussed about Sidious having "spare" lightsabers, but NOT one Anakin-style...besides, when he FIRST reveals the lightsaber, it is CLEARLY HIS...THEN he's duelling with Anakin's all of a sudden!

I'm serious people!!!! If you don't believe me, or think I'm wrong, GO CHECK the DVD yourselves!! go to a closeup of Sidious in that duel, where you can see the lightsaber too, and PAUSE, and ZOOM IN on it! You WILL see in MULTIPLE spots, that it IS ANAKIN'S!!! There's NO arguing it!

MAN...I know it's a bit nit-picky, but that little detail will ALWAYS get to me whenever I see that duel!! @#$?!

Anyone ELSE notice this???????

18. LeeKenobi

LeeKenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 13, 2002
    Is it just me or does Sid's lightsaber look almost like a certain ladies' helper?

"Wanna feel the Dark Side, baby?"

19. RedHeadKevin

RedHeadKevin Jedi Master star 2

May 18, 2004
    Yes, Sids is using Anakin's lightsaber hilt for much of the duel. This is due to a script change somewhere along the line. At one point, Anakin was going to be named Darth Vader much earlier, and present for the whole Mace/Palpy duel. Palpy would have gotten a hold of Vader's lightsaber somewhere along the lines of the duel, and fought with it. Apparently this part of the script was changed after it was filmed, so in some of the duel scenes, Palpy has Anakin's saber.

There's also a scene on Mustafar where Obi-Wan and Anakin trade sabers. They talk about that one on the DVD commentary.

By the way, does it bother anyone else that George Lucas isn't the biggest Star Wars geek around? It always bugs me when he's the only person in interviews who doesn't use terms like "lightsaber or blaster." He uses "lazer sword." and "gun." That's always driven me nuts.

20. chow_young_pat

chow_young_pat Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2004
    that and he is always mispronouncing the names of places

you here the word naboo pronounced several times...yet on the ep 1 content you hear him pronounce it "neighboo" with a long a sound.

Sidious' skill was in his manipulative abilities. THough I did like his style....It was the most "Sith" style I have ever scene...Its impatient...and quick. Look at his posture, he is in a stabbing motion in each close up. That to me is the ultimate form for a sith.

21. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    yeah and he pronounces Dooku like dough-koo

22. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    yeah, sometimes I get confused-

If Lucas pronounces the names differently like that, since HE IS THE ONE who created those characters, should we all use HIS (THE CREATOR'S) pronunciation? or the MOVIE'S??? I say, MOVIE'S

Anyways, Notice how even characters in the movies pronounce things differently-like Luke at the end of ESB says Taught-ooine, instead of tattoo-ine, and Yoda says dooKU instead of stressing the first syllable: DOOku.

also, Pahd-mee, (her handmaiden in TPM) versus PAD-MAY (the rest.)

I guess I always figured it as different people/characters say it with different accents...logical explanation, IMO...

23. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    I'd rather say Naw-boo than George?s ?Nay-boo?. :p

24. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Yeah, is'nt that annoying! On one of the DVD featurettes(sp??) GL is talking to a prop guy who has Anakin's ROTS saber hilt (a.k.a. Lukes!) in his hand and GL is going... 'Is that Obi-Wan's, or who's is that?' or something and the prop guy has to school the creator! We all put a lot of time and effort into knowin' this crap, should'nt George?[face_laugh]

25. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Yeah, I thought that was funny. He's pointing to these lightsaber hilts and he's like, "Oh, is that the actual one he used?" And here we are, obsessing over Palpatine's face and the fates of Jedi who never spoke a single line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.