main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Sidious and his Sith lightsaber

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Terpmaniac09, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    So do I ;)

Thats the way it always has, and most likely always will (In my Opinion)

2. link80

link80 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2003
    actually sidious is stronger than yoda:in the commentary of ep2 lucas says that the dark side is stronger,but it consume its user,so as long sidious lives he's stronger,but his life will be shorter than yoda because of this

3. Terpmaniac09

Terpmaniac09 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
  4. maceskyoda1

maceskyoda1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 24, 2002
    d lowe..... sorry it took so long.

I heard it many places. i think a comiter said it when he was talking about ep. 3

plus other boards. it has also been said on other boards.

and ohhhhhhh by the way. it would not nesisarily

it could go like this. obi wan and anikin are haveing a fight. then obi wan is about to kill his old pattawan just like qui gon did to zanktos. then out of nowhere sidious comes in and saves anikin and yoda shows up and everbody fights.

cool but unlikly

5. masterkin

masterkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2002
    I dont think he has one at all. Palpatine refers to it as the weapon of the Jedi, that to me says that it isnt a sith weapon at all.

If you take a look at the collection of known PT and OT Sith Lords you see 2 former Jedi ( that would explain why they have a lightsaber ) and two genuine Sith Lords. Only one has been seen with a Lightsaber, it is a staff not a sword and i believe he only used it because he needed to be trained to kill Jedi, and to kill jedi you either need to be Ben Burt, a large green blob ( flubber as i call it ) or a good swordsman.

I honestly dont think that full blooded Sith Lords need a light saber, i mean if you could shoot blue **** out your hands and throw ceilings at people - do you really require the use of a sword? especially when it is there technique to hide and never reveal themselves.

I would be happy to see palpatine with a lightsaber, it is just something that i believe would be new and interesting, but he obviously doesnt need to carry one so why tip people off as to your abilities if you dont need to by carrying a lightsaber around.

Dehrian edit: Do not use that word again.

6. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Masterkin, the Emperor refered to Luke's lightsaber as a Jedi's weapon because it is a Jedi lightsaber. It has a Jedi color and Jedi sounds. The lightsaber is also the weapon of the Sith. Someone also had to train Darth Maul to use it. Force lightning won't always bail you. What happens if the Emperor tries to kill a Jedi with Force lightning and he blocks it with his lightsaber. What the heck is going to do next? If he doesn't have a lightsaber, he's dead meat.

7. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I'm still hung up on the black light saber thing. It wouldn't necessarily even have to be a well lit area cause Darth Maul used his Red lightsaber on the red forcefield thingy and it didn't look horrible, it just looked like red on red.

8. Terpmaniac09

Jan 2, 2003
    Black would be to hard to do and if Sidious has a lightsaber it is red because that is the Sith tradition.

9. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    What in the world WILL Palpatine do, considering the highlight of the whole series before was the Sith Lightning in RotJ? If that's all Palpatine has, then it sort of makes the impression that Dooku is on par with Palpatine.

10. Terpmaniac09

Jan 2, 2003
    Good Point.

11. J_Var33

J_Var33 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 13, 2002
    If Palps had to use a lightsaber, he would and fight well. He's not a Sith master for nothing. Lightning can be blocked so he has to have one just in case, and I'm sure he could use it well

12. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    This is whay I have felt that Dooku should not have used lightning in AotC or RotJ should be edited to have Palpatine use a greater form of Sith power.

13. Terpmaniac09

Jan 2, 2003
    I never understood why Darth Vader picked up the Emperor and threw him down the shaft. Darth Vader should have used the force to get Luke's lightsaber and he could have hacked the Emperor six ways from sunday, or he could have blocked the force lighting and he and Luke could have ganged up on Palpatine. But, I guess that Lucas had to create a way for Vader to die.

14. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    AotC demonstrated to Anakin what it feels like to get zapped with lightning. Seeing Vader lift the Emperor despite this, after personally having experienced the pain, makes that scene in RotJ one of the most poignant of the entire saga.

15. Terpmaniac09

Jan 2, 2003
    Vader could have killed the Emperor in many differnet ways, but why did he chose the way that ended up killing himself.

16. Master_Akwat_Kbrana

Master_Akwat_Kbrana Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2001
    "It should be called a dark saber."

Please tell me you're joking...

17. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    The method of sneaking up behind Palpatine without weapons drawn was the most effective means of surprise. It was also the most visually stunning and poignant imagery. It doesn't always have to make the most sense to have the most impact.

18. Skimaniac87

Skimaniac87 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 21, 2002
    It should be called a DarkSaber

Please tell me you're joking too ;)

19. Batty4btman

Batty4btman Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2002
    I think that Darth Sidious weilding a lightsaber would be a very bad idea. He is supposed to be threatening without weapons beside his sith lightning. But many thought that Yoda having a lightsaber would be a bad idea and we all saw how that ended up.

20. HaN___DoLO3

HaN___DoLO3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 6, 2003
    I'm with Sapiant, make Sidious' Force Lightning more spectacular and powerful in the DVD release!

21. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    But that all comes back to that lightning isn't as threating as we once saw it since it can be blocked. If that happened to Sidious, he better get his lightsaber out.

22. HaN___DoLO3

HaN___DoLO3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 6, 2003
    IMO Dooku wanted to engage Obi-Wan in lightsabre battle because supposedly Dooku has no match for his lightsabre skill but Obi-Wan managed to defeat a powerful Sith, so I guess Dooku wants to take him on!

"...you disapoint me..."

So I think he just fired some lightning at him for the hell of it, he wasn't really trying to fry Obi!

Yoda is a different story all together, we all know how powerful he is so absorbing some lightning isn't far fetched for me.

23. maceskyoda1

maceskyoda1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 24, 2002
    Darth sapient

We all thought that yoda wasn't a bad a**.

we all thought he was just a force welding guy, just like a monk. and what did we see, yoda kicking butt.

and forcelighting is his signiture move just like darth vaders move was force choke and dooku, a not very orginized form of force lighting. then we also see maul he had those eyes and was a regular bounty hunter except more personlized for the dark lord.

so how does this tie in?
    1. we thought yoda wasn't great but he was pwoerful as we found out.
    2.maybe it will work out the same way with palpatine.
    3. somebody has to teach the dark ways of the force.
    4. every sith from my knowlegde (except from what we have learned from cannon)had a light saber. wehter it be a sith saber or a light saber they all had a light saber. you can't just not know how to not use a lightsaber and then expct to teach it

24. Terpmaniac09

Jan 2, 2003
    Vader never used forse lightning in the Ot because Lucas wanted it to be used by the Emperor as a surprise attack.

25. masterkin

masterkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2002
    D_Lowe your second point is correct, it can be said that Sith need a backup weapom in case they meet their match with Force Lightning etc, that leads me to believe that Sith do nearly always use a lightsaber.

On the first point regarding Palpatine's comment to Luke regarding the lightsaber.
    Let me quote the movie to clarify.

"His Lightsaber"

"Ah, Yes. A Jedi's weapon. Much like your fathers."

I take it that Palpatine is refering to all Lightsabers when he makes that comment, not just luke's. He either has bad grammer or i am correct, or George never envsioned creating another Sith Lord so he just left it in.

It is a matter of getting the apostrophe in the correct place, has anyone got a copy of the script to make sure?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.