main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive DARTH SIDIOUS - Artwork Update 30-08-2006

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Jonathan_McEnroe, Nov 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Not sure how I missed this thread before, but wow!

The rendering of each of these portraits are excellent! Nice use of color and the details are handled quite nicely. I have to agree with FF about the monochromatic coloring of Luke. That color scheme really sets him apart from the others! Nice job!

I saw from earlier in the thread that you used PS to color these. Do you paint these freehand on a blank canvas with just a reference photo or how exactly do you do it?

2. Hey people!

Thanks again for the great comments I can't thank you all enough :)

For the Luke image I wanted to go for a more sketchy and colder image to reflect the scene :)

Yeah I always use a photograph to draw from, if anyone can draw these images from memory I'd like to meet them hehehehe :p

I always begin with the eyes, then with all the base colours from that i spread them out to cover the canvas, and I begin to block in the rest of the features, nice and rough, then begin looking at how far appart the features are and adjust any incase they are too far appart or too close. With that finished I detail it up, scale it up to begin adding a few more details etc and keep going until I'm happy with the result. Coming back to it now and again I'll adjust anything that looks off and put it back up :)

It usually takes three to four hours to get a result like Anakin and Padme, and about two for Luke.

Thanks again!

Jonathan

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks for that little explanation. It's always cool to hear from the artist about how they went about creating the work. I'm also dabbing around with digital coloring and trying to find as many methods as possible on how people go about it. It helps me to learn the program myself and until I can develop my own method. ;)

Please keep up the great work and I can't wait to see your next creation! :D

4. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    [Anakin]I hate you![/Anakin]

Because of you, I threw my monitor out the window in frustration :(

I thought I'd try painting my favorite Padme peice and while the colors were nice, it looked more like some girl dressing up AS Padme. Then I saw your pieces again and I cried myself to sleep.
    I post before you, a broken and miserable man.

(Take all that as a compliment by the way ;p)

5. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Wonderful work with your last pieces Jonathon! :) Absolutely gorgeous, if there was any doubt that Anakin was a one off-they've definitely been dispelled! :D Simply beautiful images choices, you really do know how to choose images which sit well cropped up and rendered with different styles. I must admit of the new ones, Luke is my favourite. I love the emotion in it, the sketchiness really does suit his tiredness and that scene wonderfully!

And your paint in an interesting way from your description. Most people block out all the features first and then go back to eyes and render out from there, or maybe start the skintone and then detail in the eyes before the other features. Do you find it hard to adjust though if things are going a bit wrong (as it happens to everybody!)?

Great work and hope to see more soon...you suggested you were doing the Emperor? I can't wait to see what you do with all those gorgeously ugly wrinkles and those eyes! :)

6. Hello everyone!

Hope your all doing well :)

I have added a new Anakin Picture I painted on Photoshop today, a quick 45 minute painting :)

I'd also like to take this opportunity to extend my thanks in all your kind words and also want to wish you all a Merry Christmas and all the best for 2006!

I'm starting work with a new Computer Game Company here in Scotland next month, and really looking forward to it. The reason I continue to work in Art is the reaction from people with my work, it increases my enthusiasim, and dedication in doing my best and improving my skills.

Thanks again everyone, I look forward to sharing more with you soon :)

Jonathan

7. Hey everyone!

Moved my Palpatine painting over to this thread to keep things more tidy :)

Jonathan :)

8. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Love the Palpatine portrait--what an evil expression! That snarl would make even the bravest Jedi step back, don't you think...? The tones and palette for this are wonderful--really conveying the darkness in the old snake! Well done! =D=

FF

9. Hey bud!

Thanks very much for that, I appreciate it very much! I shall be adding a couple more paintings this week to share with you :)

Thanks very much!!

Jonathan

10. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    I love your work and your style.
    I'd really like to see you take on an original peice :D
    Just to see the colors and tone you go for.

11. Hey Wascally!

Thanks very much, I appreciate your kind words. I thought I'd share with you an unused character concept portrait sketch that I did not too long ago where I didn't use reference for the painting.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/jonathanmc/CopyofAlek-Crenwood-Concept2.jpg]

I might be tacking either Princess Leia soon, or maybe Obi-Wan soon :)

Thanks again!

Jonathan

12. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    I can kinda see it being one of the Organa-Solo boys.

13. Hey everyone!

I have now added Obi-Wan Kenobi to the collection :)

Thanks again for all your kind words and I look forward to sharing more with you soon :)

Jonathan :)

14. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Lots of great stuff showing up so close to Christmas--it's so awesome! [face_dancing]

The Obi Wan painting is gorgeous!! I just love the serious expression on his face, the look he usually got just before diving into battle--amazing! And I really like your original character, too--this handsome fellow needs a name, a backstory and should be related in some way to Han Solo--long-lost brother or cousin, perhaps...? A rogue in the finest tradition of rogues...? I love his expression--sort of a "What?" kind of look, as if daring someone to question his actions, no matter their seeming foolishness! Great character design, and another wonderful painting. I really love the way you handle light and shadow in your work--it's just beautiful, and is just enough--not too much, nor too little. Just right! Great, great work, Jonathan! =D=

And Happy Holidays!

FF

15. Hey FalconFan!

Your kind words always blow me away, I thank you for your last message, I really appreciate it very much. It's been great fun painting these characters, it's always great to work on something from Star Wars. I think I'll start on Leia just now and post it up once finished, I might also plan on doing a characters group painting with many Star Wars characters, good and evil, and work on it for a few weeks. I've always drempt of being a Star Wars Illustrator from an early age, with my main inspiration from Hugh Fleming. His art is unbelievable, and captures the look of the character wonderfully.

Thanks again! And Happy Holidays!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE :)

Jonathan

16. Avid_Prequels_Fan

Avid_Prequels_Fan Jedi Master star 2

Sep 14, 2003
    Those were all amazing, especially the Emperor Palpatine, Darth Vader with yellow eyes, and the Padme Amidala. My favorites. Really great job!:cool: :cool: :cool:

17. Thanks very much!! Very much appreciated :)

I have added Leia to the collection now, I think I'll pack it in for the night and grab some sleep, half six in the morning here in Scotland haha!!

Take care everyone, I shall be doing a few more later when I get up in the afternoon :)

Thanks again everyone for your kind words :)

Jonathan

18. MaraJade4S

MaraJade4S Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2005
    Wow, these last paintings are great! I love Leia most of all. She looks sweet and innocent. You are really good. Keep it up!

19. Ryuuri-chan

Ryuuri-chan Jedi Master star 1

Jul 22, 2005
    Your paintings are just amazing. You are do such a great job on them. Keep up the good work.

Ry

20. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, my!! You have truly done superb justice to our favorite Princess!! What a beautiful painting! I have always had a terrible time getting her eyes just right--Carrie Fisher's eyes are so dark and expressive--but you really did a fabulous job with them, and the likeness is amazing...
    =D==D=

I would so love to see all of these, in a very large size, hung on a wall together...it would be an awesome sight! Bravo, my friend! Keep on painting! [face_dancing]

FF

21. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Woo! I think you should work on even more original characters!
    But even so, man! I love your Obi-Wan and Leia!
    Might I suggest Jar Jar? I don't believe too many people have done him LOL
    Be a trailblazer ;)

22. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Wonderful paintings. I really love Leia. You did a beautiful rendering of her. Of course, I love young Obi-Wan.

Yeah, do Jar Jar being strangled by Qui-Gon. LOL.

AG88

23. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Wow...very nice! That really looks awesome! :D

I can't get over how much control you have in PS to achieve such a great likeness. I really get frustrated coloring in PS just because I feel like you don't have as much control as you do with a regular pencil and sketchpad. It just seems harder to achieve the level of completeness you're looking for. And I even have a Wacom tablet. :p

Oh well, yours still looks awesome! Please keep up the great work!

24. Avid_Prequels_Fan

Avid_Prequels_Fan Jedi Master star 2

Sep 14, 2003
    I second this heartily. Do one of Jar Jar Binks. Maybe showing him when he is having that talk with Queen Amidala looking out the window in TPM.

25. uwishuwereme

uwishuwereme Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 20, 2005
    Those paintings are amazing Jonathan_McEnroe great job

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.