main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Darth Snuggle's Scribbles [UPDATE: 04/17/10 - "Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy"]

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Darth_Snuggle, Jun 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    My very own thread! How exciting! :D

This is a piece I did not too long ago featuring Bastila Shan from the game, "Knights of the Old Republic." It's done in a rather cheeky style that I'm known for in my other obsession's fan circles.

Line art was done by hand and scanned into the computer for coloring in photoshop.

The link is below just in case it's deemed not quite suitable for the kiddies:

Darth's Secret

Oh, at the time, I didn't understand aurebesh, so the lettering is most likely gibberish.

Snuggle's Index:
    Darth's Secret

Bounty Hunter's Quarterly

Scandal!

Merenzane Gold

Quinlan Vos sketch

George Lucas' Sin City: Marv

George Lucas' Sin City: Dwight

George Lucas' Sin City: Hartigan

George Lucas' Sin City: Jackie Boy

George Lucas' Sin City: Gail

George Lucas' Sin City: Goldie

George Lucas' Sin City: Shellie

George Lucas' Sin City: Nancy

George Lucas' Sin City: Junior

Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy poster art COMPLETED!

Kill Bly

2. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    lol! That's awsome! :D [face_laugh] Please, show more :D

The only bit of aurebesh that I know is that the box thing is an 'o'

Keep up the good work :D

3. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    [face_laugh]
    This is classic satire--and I love it! The idea of a saber-wielding bad-@$$ sitting there in "skimpies" is my kind of humor (did you see "Darth Woo Woo" here in the forum? Another great "spoof!")! As to the work itself--it's beautifully done: very clean lines and terrific coloring (and I am so loving that look on her face!). I don't know that character, but this has to be as OOC as it could possibly get (which is why it's great!)!

Wonder if Padme bought some of her night-dresses from ROTS from this catalog...? ;)

FF

4. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005

FalconFan: Wonder if Padme bought some of her night-dresses from ROTS from this catalog...?

- Lol
    -----

I too am unfamiliar with the character, but I love the concept! Such a cute pose.

The drawing itself is so clean! I like how you use bold lines for character and softer style for the BG - the soft coloring for the drapes and bed is so wonderfully smooth.

I don't want to sound nit-picky and I am a little unsure as to whether this is part of your style (or perhaps even forgetfulness), but something that caught my eye was that there wasn't any detail in the inside of her ear. I only mention it because you have included detail in other areas such as her hair and clothing, while such is absent in the ear.

...Er, I do sound nit-picky, don't I? Sorry :(

- Suz ^_~

5. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Bastila is a terrific character and there's just not enough art about her. I'm glad you decided to give her a go and the magazine layout idea was a clever touch. Clean lines and nice colour-work, too. Well done!

6. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    Thanks for the replies!

ThrawnRocks

Yeah, just a little more research into it found an actual font available online. The piece I'm working on now will feature translatable content in it.

FalconFan

This is very much my sort of humor, too :) I had thought of having Aayla Secura do a spread for Darth's Secret's line of "Power of the Force" bras, but nothing's really come of it.

Here's some background on Bastila:

Bastila Shan is from the videogame "Knights of the Old Republic." She's a padawan who plays a key role in the Jedi/Sith war and serves as the male player character's love interest. She's got an aristocratic, slightly haughty air about her and is a stickler for the rules and regulations of the Jedi Order -- which is what makes this piece completely out of character. That being said, she does actually wear this particular outfit in the game: first time you meet her (under less than ideal circumstances) and later on under her costumes when she's been seduced by the dark side, hence the term "Sith underwear" fans have given this particular ensemble.

Your_Worshipfulness

No need to apologize Your_Worshipfulness (ooh, Snuggle likes saying your name :D ). The style I was pseudo-emulating was that of the Clone Wars cartoons; as an animator, I thought that would be pretty fun to try (the lack of detail in the ear is of that style - at least from the reference photos of female characters I found). I also wanted the background to reflect a 2-D painted style similar to those seen in the cartoons.

Wicktone

Thanks! She's a really fun character - especially when you're using those lame lines to get her all flustered :)

7. darshaassant

darshaassant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2005
    Heh that was nice.... I probably count as a kiddie but I still clicked on that... heh.. her sith underwear is quite nice. None of the male characters have nice underwear. Except probably Canderous... you can see his tattoo. Anyone know where to get the aurebesh font thingy?

8. labpizza

labpizza Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    This looks really cool.. it looks like a anime/comic cover page!!
    your colouring is also verry cleean... oohh *drool*

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    We've been having a lot of this type of work lately.

Snuggle, you did an excellent job with this piece. The layout is very clever and it shows nice craftsmanship. Not to mention it is quite funny. ;)

10. Your_Worshipfulness

May 21, 2005
    No need to apologize Your_Worshipfulness

Oh good, I didn't want to come off as fussing over something so small. :)

(ooh, Snuggle likes saying your name ).

Lol. I found the thought of everyone calling me by that title amusing. 'Darth Snuggle's' certainly has a ring to it. (I keep picturing that little teddy bear from the fabric softener in Darth Vader's suit - makes me laugh).

The style I was pseudo-emulating was that of the Clone Wars cartoons; as an animator, I thought that would be pretty fun to try (the lack of detail in the ear is of that style - at least from the reference photos of female characters I found). I also wanted the background to reflect a 2-D painted style similar to those seen in the cartoons.

In that case, you did it very well - She'd definately fit in with the cartoons. That idea of the Aayla Secura Spread you spoke of above sounds hilarious. Hope you share more of your work!

- Suz ^_~

11. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    darshaassant
    If you go to Google and type in "aurebesh," several links should pop right up. Or better yet, type in "Star Wars font" and there should be links to not only aurebesh, but also massassi fonts, ewok fonts, jedi fonts, etc.

labpizza

HanSolo29
    Thank you very much! I promise the next one won't be as controversial :D

Your_Worshipfulness
    (I keep picturing that little teddy bear from the fabric softener in Darth Vader's suit - makes me laugh)

Yup, that was the inspiration for my name :) If you go to the icon submissions thread, I posted my usual icon over there (but I'm kinda getting used to the "Yoda butt" icon I'm using now)

I was working on the next piece earlier today. It's another parody, this one featuring Aayla among other characters. Once it's done, I think I'll get it printed up and see if Amy Allen will autograph it for me [face_praying]

12. Kenu

Kenu Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    Woooooow thats-

*brain restart*

Wooooow thats.... thats...

*giggle*

NONO. Its good. I like it. :)

13. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    Thanks Kenu, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Here's an "in-progress" piece that I mentioned earlier. It's Kit and Aayla caught in a bit of a compromising position by the SW equivalent of paparazzi. It's just the line work and flat color so far, I've yet to give it a background (was thinking something like a dark corner of a Coruscant nightclub -- anybody know of any reference material on that kinda thing? Like color scheme and whatnot?) or highlights and tones but that will come soon enough. There's still plenty more to do; this is just one part of the overall piece -- which will probably have to wait until I've finished transferring over to my new computer and gotten accustomed to the new software.

[image=http://home.pacbell.net/ri221b/sw/snug_enqruff.jpg]

14. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Love it! :D The expressions are wondeful, especially Kit! Very well done, I really dig your style, unlike anything i've really seen before. Oh and your username is classic as well! :)

15. darshaassant

darshaassant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2005
    AHAHAHA! COuldn't stop laughing when I first saw it. Oh man.... can't wait to see it with the backgrounds and all. They look like they're straight from the clone wars cartoons.... Aayla probably never saw a guy with so many 'lekku'!

16. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    [face_laugh]

This is so great!! I agree with the comments so far about their expressions--just perfect for "being 'caught in the act'!" And the little "lipstick kissy-marks" on Kit's face are classic! Wonderful, Darth_Snuggle! Your figure drawing is just beautiful--very natural poses with good movement--just great! This is going to look so fabulous when you get all the highlights and background in (tho it's actually terrific right now, as it is!)! Thanks for the laugh! ;)

FF

17. Your_Worshipfulness

May 21, 2005
    Lol, that's hilarious, Darth_Snuggle! You did excellent work on their expressions, precisely capturing the moment. I have to say though that the "smooch" marks all over him are absolutely priceless. It really looks great.

As for reference help, Er, the only thing I could think of is to look up any images from Attack of the Clones when Obi-Wan went to the bar on, erm... Coruscant? Not sure if that's the look you want as the area was pretty flashy looking, but that's all I could think of.

P.S. I see that you got your Snuggle-Avatar - very cute! Just the thought of him talking in a sithly manner with that child-like voice brings on giggles.

- Suz ^_~

18. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

That's awsome! [face_laugh]

Can't wait until the Concil gets a load of this :p

Again, Snuggle, you suceed in making a beautifuly done work of art woth great style, ans natural poses, along with a very origonal concept :p

Good job! :) I can't wait to see it completed :)

19. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Heh! That made me laugh out loud. The expression on Kit's face is classic, and it's just such a bizarre idea. Too funny.

Great work drawing these. They're very well done and the idea of the image is very well conveyed.

20. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    Thanks for the replies everybody! :D

Yeah, Corellian_Rogue, I'm happy that nobody already had my username (although I recently discovered that there's a Darth Snugglebunny here who I guess is the same one I ran across at my first SW forum. The SW online community is certainly a small world!

darshaassant, I did lots of sketches from the Clone Wars dvd to get Kit's likeness down in order to do so (even sampled the color palette from screen captures for accuracy). Aayla, however, got a makeover 'cuz I though her look in the series was a bit too severe. So I did some cosmetic surgery on her face and gave her a costume more accurate to her live action and comic-book counterpart but still tried to keep withing the design boundaries of the cartoon "look." And yeah, they do have some hot lekku wuving going on. Say, that'd make a great title [face_thinking]

Thank you muchly, FalconFan! I'm glad the smoochy marks read correctly, I did about three different shapes before picking one that I thought looked cute yet recognizable.

Thanks for the advice, Your_Worshipfulness. Yup, that was the look I was thinking of. I'm flipping through my hard-copy references right now for color palette ideas, but I'll pop the DVD in my computer and take some notes as well (wish I could figure out how my new Mac can take screencaps off DVDs)

And yeah, I was pleasantly surprised that my avatar was accepted -- especially compared to a lot of great pieces out there. But I'm very happy that my SW community identity is now complete :) NOW ALL SHALL BOW DOWN BEFORE MY SNUGGLY SOFTNESSS!!!

Hmm. It doesn't sound half as intimidating when you see it typed out in front of you o_O

Oh, ThrawnRocks, you have no idea how much publicity Kit and Aayla are going to be getting! You'll just have to wait for the finished product ;)

The expression on Kit's face is classic, and it's just such a bizarre idea.

Thanks wicktone. Well, "bizarre" *is* what they called me in the clinic 8-}

21. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    (wish I could figure out how my new Mac can take screencaps off DVDs)

I know! I'm still trying to work it out!!! If you find out can you tell me cauz feel like a complete tard! :D

22. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    On the note of taking screencaps of DVDs on a Mac, I think you have to buy special softwear to do that. Otherwise it seems to turn off the ability to take screenshots while there is a DVD in the drive. :(

It sucks. I have teh DVDs, but can't do anything with them :p

23. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    I've got a friend who works at the local Apple store, I'll see if he has any ideas about it.

24. Spin

Spin Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2005
    Oh my goodness that is so cute and clean!! I like it alot eee! :D

25. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    Thank you Spin! I'm updating today with the comp design that puts the image in context.

[image=http://home.pacbell.net/ri221b/sw/snug_enqcomp.jpg]

I also finished the preliminary design for the bg and am working on a color scheme that will fit. Hopefully, it will be done soon so I can get it printed and autographed [face_praying]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.