main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Darth Snuggle's Scribbles [UPDATE: 04/17/10 - "Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy"]

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Darth_Snuggle, Jun 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh great "Sin City" additions, DarthSnuggle!! =D=

I am so loving the Dooku as Jacky-Boy piece!! He looks just great--how in the world do you get such a great likeness of each of the characters?? **is jealous and humbled** Superb pose, and again, marvelous job with the rain, the way it's "pattering" off his head and shoulders and "hissing" away from the lightsaber blade--what a great effect!

And the Shaak Ti one is wonderful, too--I agree that her expression is beautifully done! Sort of a balance of sweetness and cruelty--a great job with that! And I think the color is fine--she is, after all, a colorful being! ;)

And I cannot wait to see the upcoming piece with Padme--won't that be too fun?! And I really think you need to pack up the entire series and send them off to Lucas--he'd be jumping up and down like a kid to see all of them, I'm certain! Think about it--maybe you'll get a sketchcard contract out of it!

Awesome work, D_S! =D=

FF

2. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    Is she? Sweet! I'm looking forward to seeing it :)

FalconFan: The more angular a character design is, the better I seem to be at getting it down correctly. Not sure why, but that's just the way it seems to be. I've got the DVDs and used them as reference (particularly helpful with his sword hand). Glad you like him!

You really think so? After the collapse of the TFN webstrip projects, I was concerned that doing that sort of thing might actually jeopardize my chances at working for the company!

And concerning Shaak Ti (to answer you as well Corran_Fett), she was one of the iffy ones. She's way too colorful for the style, but she is wearing Gail's black outfit (it's just covered up by that big splotch of white). Originally, this was going to be Aurra Sing, but the design didn't work out too well. Besides, I really wanted to do a Shaak Ti drawing and this was a nice reversal on her "calm and serene" personality.

I found a couple more teaser posters, so Goldie will be up next (should have her done very soon). This one's also a bit odd since the poster says it's Goldie but it's clearly Wendy behind the wheel of her car. Anyway, I decided to go with Sabé since their supposed to look exactly alike - so it's sorta Sabé/Padmé.

3. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    Personally, I think LFL are a bunch of hypocritical A-holes for that piece of policy. And I'm still not entirely convinced that that was anything other than Tom Hodges trying to stop competition for his own webstrip.

4. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Wow! I love your entire series of sin city pics, Darth Snuggle! They are amazing!!

You should be working for Lucas!=D=

AG88

5. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    Well personally, I wouldn't go *that* far. I can understand the reasoning behind such a decision and definitely respect that. Hopefully, someone can find a happy medium both sides can be satisfied with. Regardless, I've heard good things about the company in general and it's local enough that I'd love to work there in some capacity one day :)

Next one's ready to go (told you this one had a quick turnaround): George Lucas' Sin City: Goldie

6. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Regardless of the reasons, I'm so sorry to hear that the TF.N webstrip didn't go. In any case, I think a portfolio of your work would still make George laugh and smile, Snuggle!

I love the Goldie poster--and that you kept the "Queen kabuki make-up" on Sabe is even better--coupled with that sort of feral grin she's got going there, she really fits the part! ;) Great addition!

FF

7. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    Is she grinning? [face_mischief] That's the great thing about black and white, it can turn into a Rorschach test at the snap of a finger :D I thought the Queen's battle dress get-up would be fun to draw, and at least identify the character as being Sabé. Darn those decoys!

Oh, as I've been working on the last two posters, I decided to go back and alter Shaak Ti's to be more desaturated along the lines of the other ones. New version was posted earlier today at the same link. I actually think it works better than the original version :)

I might post a concept design I did for the TFN strip I was assigned to. I'll have to go clean it up and add some color first.

8. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    =D= Hey, looks great! Love it.
    Keep up the good work!

9. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    Molte grazie, Chilla :)

Well, this collection of images is starting to wind down at long last. Seventh in the series is Shellie:

George Lucas' Sin City: Shellie

Only one more left!

10. alienyouthct

alienyouthct Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    I don't care who you are, THAT'S funny...

11. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    I love this series, DS. But for the first time, I don't know who the person is. Who is Khaleen Hentz?

Edit: N/M. Google is your friend. The one area of the EU I don't read is the comics. :(

BTW, what happened to that Aayla Secura lounging in bed pic you were working on?

12. Thyke

Thyke Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2005
    =D= Bravo... You're great artist !!! =D=

13. alienyouthct

alienyouthct Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Uh, to clarify, the "that's funny" bit was the the Merezane Gold image. Sorry, I thought I quoted your opening post and narrowed it down to that line/link, but I guess not. Oops! :)

14. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    These are all looking really great. I would never have thought that you could fit the Star Wars characters into these posters quite as well as you have. :) I'm really digging Sabe and I think she may be my favourite one of them all. Postively deadly glare. The B&W scheme just seems do to so much more for it than I think it would have had it been in colour. (That and I've just always had an affinity towards B&W photos in general). But that doesn't mean I don't like the rest of them. ;)

Though part of me is a little sad too hear that there is only one more left to go in this 'series', I am curious to see how the last one will turn out. (Which will no doubt be awesome. :D )

Really love the whole idea and the thought put into what character would fit which part the best.

- Suz ^_~

15. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    What th-? I take a break due to the server problems and when I come back, the place is full of owls!

Giolon05: You've never read the comics? FOR SHAME! [face_shame_on_you] As a Twi'lek fan, I'd have figured they would be a highlight for you. Aayla was one of the breakout stars of the "Republic" comics!

The Aayla pic (and the 2-3 others that were going to go along with it) is on the back burner until I can write the article that goes with it. Otherwise, it'll probably stay in the "dead art" pile.

Thyke: Thanks! The feeling's mutual :D

alienyouthct: No worries. I'm happy that any one of my pieces would elicit that response :)

Your_Worshipfulness: That's the great thing about the SW universe - it's so big and diverse that you can pretty much find anything you want :)

I like the Sabé poster as well purely on a graphic design level (the stark blacks and whites and simplicity of overall design - didn't take me more than a day from sketch to completion).

Yup, just one more left. Maybe when Sin City 2 comes out, I'll make some more :D

16. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    You should read the comics if you can. They're really worth it.

17. Lady_Skotti

Lady_Skotti Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2006
    Oh lord, this is some great stuff. You are great at the subtilties of visual humor. I LOVE your newest pc (Darth's Secret), your style is very cool, it has a slick animation style.

18. Chasca

Chasca Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2006
    These are great! You have such a nice, clean style. Your poses on the characters are really well done, and I really like how you do the coloring on the posters. Plus they're hilarious! Kit/Aayla forever!

19. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    "Shellie" looks wonderful, Snuggle! =D= Like one of the responders in your DA account, I too like the splashes of white on the background--it seems so very appropriate to the atmosphere of the entire series. And I love her pose--very confident yet casual--a woman who is infinitely comfortable in her own skin! Another great rendition, D_S! =D=

FF

20. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    Ive_Got_Two-Legs: Workin' on it :D

Lady_Skotti: Thanks very much :) "Darth's Secret" was one of my very first Star Wars-based illustrations. It was also a bit of an experiment in painterly background using Photoshop (I think I'll get Corel Painter IX sometime for more ambitious things).

Chasca: *Love* the Kit/Aayla 'shippage :D Thanks for commenting!

FalconFan: Thanks :) I can't take credit for the white splotches - they're in the original posters. It is a rather interesting element, though. And as I was analyzing the posters, I found that elements were recycled from one to another (scaled up or realigned, but the same element nontheless). It actually made it a little easier as the illustrations went by since more was already completed for me. Shellie and Nancy, for instance, share the same background and white elements with only minor changes.

That being said, here's the last installment of my "Sin City" series. Let's see...

Seen in the comic as both child and adult? Check.
    Appropriate character in terms of grace and species-traditions for a dancer? Check.
    Strong and resilient in spirit? Check.
    Corresponding ill-fated relationship with older male? Check.

Here you go: George Lucas' Sin City: Nancy

21. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    Nancy is amazing! Good choice for Aayla too. Too bad this is the last for the time being, but I suppose they need a few more posters to continue.

22. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, yeah!! =D= Excellent! And once again, I love the way you've outfitted her here--so very appropriately! ;) These are just too cool, Snuggle! It's going to be nice to see what other wonderful things you dream up to dazzle us with next, though! :D Again--great work!

FF

23. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Those last two were great! You did a wonderful job on two of my favorite EU characters! And the posters you chose for them were perfect for their characters. :D

I can't wait to see whatever it is that you come up with next!

24. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    Thanks Basement24! Ironically, she was one of the first I cast and turned out to be the last one I released.

Her outfit seemed appropriate FalconFan ;) It's a color variation on a servant's outfit she wore in the "Rite of Passage" storyline from SW: Republic. She looked good in it then as well :D

Thanks very much ThrawnRocks!

I'm not sure what Im going to do after this - most likely take a bit of a break as work is demanding most of my attention and other projects are gobbling up the rest of my time. Still have plenty of ideas, though, just need the opportunity to get to them!

Thanks again for visiting!

25. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    Nancy now has two things in common that I love about her: Jessica Alba, and now Aayla Secura. Brilliant choice, DS. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.