main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Darth Snuggle's Scribbles [UPDATE: 04/17/10 - "Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy"]

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Darth_Snuggle, Jun 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    Thanks JosephB! And you've just triggered an idea for a new sketch that I'll have to put down sometime...

Yeah, that's my default Jaden design as well. And it plays perfectly into my personal "Aayla Lives! (but not really)" theory. And until Jaden's species and gender goes canon, the loophole will always be there :D

And yup, my regular style is very Bruce Timm-ish, so it tends to leak into these even though I try to stay basically faithful to the "Clone Wars" look.

Basement24 & FalconFan: I have to give credit where credit's due: Jaden's pose is one I saw done in a Bruce Timm sketch of a comic book character I saw some time ago. But the pose had so much attitude that I had to use it [face_blush] Hope you don't think less of me! :)

The finished piece will probably use some existing elements to make it look more "authentic" (title design, the JK emblem, etc). I've been playing around with integrating existing/manipulated elements into my art for a few months and as long as it doesn't overwhelm the original stuff, I don't think it looks that bad.

Giolon05: Thanks very much! Twi'leks are so much fun to draw :)

oldjedinurse: Thank you too! :) I've done a little more work with the composition - adding smaller elements here and there to fill things out. I'll post a revision once I get a lock on some character designs.

2. JosephB

JosephB Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2007

Heheheheheh, anything I can do to corrupt, uh, I mean, inspire :)

Actually, I think they have Jaden listed as male somewhere. But whatever, I don't pay attention to them when they do something stupid like make Revan male :p

Well, I never was too crazy about the design of CW but they made up for it with kickass action and great storytelling. In fact, I think they captured (even better than the movies) what a Jedi (male or female; mmmm, Shaak Ti) can really do.

I thought that pose looked familiar!!! :) Well, no worries, I certainly won't think less of you. I myself have ripped of-- Uh, ahem, I mean -- paid homage :D to many an artist.

Joseph B

3. jedipencil

jedipencil Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 1 VIP

Oct 30, 2006
    Awesome Star Wars hommage, Darth Snuggle! (I so love your username!!!) Are the pencil sketches on your deviant link yours? They are gorgeous!=D=

4. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    Thank you jedipencil! Yes, everything on my dA page is by me (except the self-portrait, which I only modeled for and art-directed ;) )

Did a little more work on my Jedi Academy poster. I'll update the sketch soon - just been too busy with other projects and dashing off to Vegas for a couple days last week!

EDIT: Okay, I'm working from home today, so I took the opportunity to slip in the new elements I've added to the composition. Same link:

Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy WIP

5. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Wonderful update to the poster, D_S! =D= I love it still, and the newest elements blend in beautifully! This piece is so great, and is going to be just awesome when done--thanks for sharing the WIPs with us, too (it's always great to see things come together! :D )!

FF

6. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    That is going to look fantastic! Great job so far!

AG88

7. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    Thank you both for the encouragement :) I haven't had lots of time to do much SW art - job hunting is taking up much of my time. I did lay down the groundwork for a larger project, but I'm going to see if I can enlist the help of some of my animation buddies to help me out on that one.

In the meantime, I'm actually thinking of submitting my portfolio to Lucasfilm to see if I can get any freelance work from them. I read the portfolio tips over at the official SW site and read through Lucasfilm's submission requirements page, but I'm still a little iffy about how to present my stuff (I haven't submitted my portfolio to a company since I was in high school - and you don't want to know how long ago that was!).

Anybody have any tips?

8. TheOnlyJediPrincess

TheOnlyJediPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2006
    Awesome job! Obi-wan turned out great! I can't wait to see it in color!

9. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    Thank you TheOnlyJediPrincess! That's actually Kyle Katarn, but I do acknowledge the resemblance :)

In preparing my portfolio, I "Special Edition"ed my Scandal pic with a few minor tweaks. It can be seen here if anyone wants a look-see.

Now back to work on more commissions!

10. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    Just zipping in and out to post this new update to my "Jedi Academy" poster design. I dropped in Rosh's refined head design and did a color/tone/highlight pass on Jaden. I also incorporated the JK logo from a wallpaper I found online, making this officialy an illustration/montage hybrid :)

JK-JA Poster WIP

11. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    Darth Snuggle Strikes Back! (but only in a limited sense, so better play the Imperial March in a minor key)

What's it been, a year? My SW muse has been very flighty lately...

Anyway, after hearing about Drew Struzan's retirement, I had to go and pick up where I left off on the Jedi Academy poster art I was working on. Added a few characters and trademark Struzan elements to it, but it's still a little bit off from being completed. If my muse sicks with me, it shouldn't take much longer (I'll stick her in one of those Slave Leia outfits and chain her to my drawing desk if I have to).

Update is here

Oh, and I also have a fun little piece in the works featuring Jolee Bindo from "Knights of the Old Republic." Should be fun!

12. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product!

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    As I said in the other thread, welcome back, Snuggle! :)

Yea, it was a real shame to hear about Struzan's retirement, but I guess we all have to move on. I'm glad to see that your current piece reflects his style and you can instantly point out his techniques in the arrangement of the figures and the overall feel of the poster. I'm looking forward to seeing this one completed. ;)

14. soitscometosith

soitscometosith Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2005
    Your work is very strong. All your pieces are rather brilliantly realised, very professional, and have a strong sense of style. I'm envious.

15. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That's very cool.

16. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Good that you decided to post it. Otherwise we would have not been able to admire it. It is stunning!

17. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I noticed that in your update you said you weren't able to get a read on Rosh and Alora's eye colors. I opened up Jedi Academy's assets1.pk3 file and judging by the textures, Alora's eyes are green and Rosh's are brown with a slight red tint.

18. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    Awesome! Thanks very much for looking into that Master_Starwalker! I've added their eye color to the master file, and one I get the line art done on the Kothos Twins and assorted mercs, stormtroopers and Dark Jedi, I'll post an update. I'm nearly done with another "Knights of the Old Republic" piece so I'm not sure which one I'll get to first.

19. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    Like Red Leader once said: "Almost there..." :)

This go-round I've added the Reborn Twins, dropped in the first batch of mercs and stormtroopers to and another level of scale (took me forever to find some color reference on the internet for these miscellaneous characters), tossed in a starfield, and played around with some layer effects. I'm working on the rough lineart for the rest of the army of mercs to fill in that section and contemplating mirroring it on the opposite side with an army of dark jedi and reborn. After that, all I need is a few vehicles and it's done! *whew*

http://raphael2054.deviantart.com/art/WIP-JK-Jedi-Academy-poster-57287591

Also have another "Knights of the Old Republic" piece coming up, currently about 75% done. Picture drag racing poster with Bastila as the drag racing babe.

20. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    It's looking good, DS! =D= The Struzan influence is wonderful--you've done a great job of keeping all your elements in balance, and yet telling the story in images (something I always loved about Drew's work!). The "effects" look great--this is really coming along well! And Bastilla as a "drag racing babe?!" LOL! I'll definitely have to watch for that one! ;) :D

FF

21. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    My posts here are unfortunately, few and far between, but I recently had to step back from a difficult commission in order to re-evaluate it and needed to do something COMPLETELY different in order to reset my brain.

So I made this: Kill Bly

I know, not very original. But hey, I just needed a break :)

22. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    I find your "Kill Bly" very original.

:D

But I could not open the Jedi Accademy one at all.

23. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    And now for the update no one's been waiting for [face_laugh]...

The COMPLETED Struzan-ized Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy poster!

No really, it's actually FINISHED!

I tested the link, AzureAngel2, so give it another try! And now, back to finishing up these fanfilm storyboards. Why are Stormtrooper helmets so frikkin' hear to draw?!?

24. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    That is really wonderful with all the characters. I like it.=D==D=

25. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Now it works for me.

[:D]

Great stuff! Where do you get your ideas from? How long does it take you to come up with something incredible like this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.