main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader #13: Vader Down, part 2 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Darth__Syphilis

Darth__Syphilis Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2010
    Why was C-3PO not blue like everyone else in that holoprojection? Oh, because otherwise that would conflict with the last page plot twist. Nice.

And why is Darth Vader's dialogue so bad? Why did this take me less than 4 minutes to read?

Oh, wait, Marvel Comics? Nevermind!

2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I loved this issue, mainly because it has more character development than the first issue. First part was was more action and second part more talking. I liked that Leia's main objective was to get Vader first and then to get Luke and I disagree with you there Han, she does know where her priorities are thank you very much. What's the word on the wall of the Jedi temple? R2 vs Triple zero& BT please!,was that a vision or something? He felt cold, maybe something like the cave in ESB. [face_thinking]
    Luke captured by the droids and Aphra, interesting.
    Favorite lines:
    -Bring Lord Vader a couple more yellow-haired ones to make up for the loss. He'll get over it. [face_laugh]
    -Bleed whole worlds dry, rebels. You will not keep me from the boy.
    -He watched what happened to Alderaan, and that's just one among who knows how many crimes against the galaxy. Much anger there Leia, but it's understandable and I'm glad she acknowledged Vader wasn't the one who ordered Alderaan's destruction, it was Tarkin. [face_relieved]Disaster averted!

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You read it here first: Wookiee vs Wookiee fight!

[face_laugh] You answered your own question! Even so, that's a very specific figure - did you actually time yourself?

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    spicer, I'm guessing you haven't read Star Wars 1 and 2...

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I have actually. And the reason why I mentioned the Luke and Vader not meeting until TESB thing is because I'm not so sure Marvel won't do it again...

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I. Lord Vader continues to be magnificent, as always.
    II. Leia's priorities are right, as much as the story tries to make us side with Han. Leia felt authentic there, which is good.
    III. On that note -- "Commander Organa." :D

CooperTFN likes this.
  7. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    possible spoilers for Episode 7
    I wonder if Leia's cold, calculating military logic at the expense of personal priorities (rescuing Luke) is supposed to be foreshadowing of her personality in The Force Awakens...

Han: You know, we haven't seen Luke in a while. A very long while. Don't you think we should look for him?
    Leia: Go find him yourself, I have a First Order to stop.

8. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012

I'm trying to picture Anthony Daniels portraying an Evil C-3PO.

BigAl6ft6 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  9. MarcelloF91

MarcelloF91 Jedi Knight

Jul 9, 2015
    Vader seems way too powerful to me. He just destroyed a whole army without even a scratch.

JediBatman likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Remember that Vader is fairly unique among all the Force users we've seen. He lived through some of the toughest fighting in the Clone Wars, *and* he's a Sith Lord now to boot. It seems fairly expected that he'd be far, far harder to kill than your average Force user.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    "Do not be too proud of this technological terror..."

"Oh, so you could destroy a world, Lord Vader?"

"It would take time, but yes, easily."

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I've always had an inkling that 000 was meant to have the same voice; nice that they found a way to confirm that. Also, cool continuity note--Aphra had the same model of spray-paint thingy as Sabine.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Must be Valspar.

14. Hoof

Hoof Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2015
    Thoroughly fun watching Darth Vader go Rambo these last two issues. Wonder how Thanoth could fit into all this with all that's going on?

La Calavera likes this.
  15. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    What was the canon status of Splinter in the Mind's Eye in the old EU?

I really want them to bring Lumiya back in some form, tbh. I know right now Marvel probably is limited in creating new characters and need to focus on ramping up the media game for episode 7 by focusing on the big 3, but having with the new characters in Gillen's Darth Vader and force sensitive Inquisitors it'd be nice to see a character like Lumiya again. And someone who can give the heroes a run without being Vader himself.

CooperTFN likes this.
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    C-canon- same as most non-movie things. It was never "lower" than the rest - and post-PT material like The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader referenced it.

patchworkz7 likes this.
  17. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I've never read Splinter of the Mind's Eye, but I've heard of the encounter between Luke and Vader from that book, and it never felt right to me. For what it's worth though, Splinter of the Mind's Eye was written and released before TESB, a key difference compared to the new comics.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  18. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    + BAMF Vader rigging the TIE cannon and using it as a blaster
    + Aphra's description of Han
    + Luke having a vision of Ben and Anakin
    + Triple Zero impersonating 3PO and it's official, they do have the same voice.

I can't decide which was my favorite part of this issue.

BigAl6ft6 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  19. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

In my head Triple Zero will always have Creepio's voice from the Auralnaughts' parodies.

20. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I only now noticed there is a tank in the rebel army in the preview. Does the issue itself have any better pictures of it?

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    There is a picture of it being blown up by Lord Vader while the whole area is covered in smoke :)

22. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Luke assumed it was Anakin. Perhaps ... Qui-Gon?

23. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Why would he have a vision of Qui-Gon?

24. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Alernatively, it could also be the local temple's resident spirit.

25. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

At this point in the chronology of the canon, The Priestess(es) aside, there has never been a visual manifestation of a Force Ghost. Luke hasn't seen Ben yet, only heard his voice. Maybe Luke saw Ben developing a visual presence and Ben's own mentor was there watching and guiding and communing with him. Makes more sense than Anakin at this point.

Of course LUKE would assume that if he could hear (and perhaps see?) the ghost of Ben, he might also hear (see?) the ghost of his Dad. Because he believes his dad was killed the exact same way Kenobi was, and by the same person.

CooperTFN likes this.