main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader #14: Vader Down, part 4 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    It's probably because of the Jedi temple. Remember Luke saw vague force ghosts? I think the idea is that Vader did too, but they would be trying to impede him because he's a Sith. Hopefully they spell that out, but that was certainly the idea.

In other news, I thought that final shot was awesome. Excited to see Karbin in action, as well as those pseudo Imperial Guards in the background.

CnlSandersdeKFC and Darth_Pevra like this.
  2. Jordan D. White

Jordan D. White Marvel Comics Editor VIP

Mar 26, 2015

It looks like this beat did not play as well as we hoped. I am sorry for that.

The intention was that Vader is letting her go so she can lead him to Luke, so he fakes being distracted.

3. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    It would appear that the simplest explanation was completely overlooked! Thanks for the clarification :)

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  4. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000

Well, it wouldn't be the first or the last time that he made an error in judgement or critical mistake when one of his children are directly affected... Thanks for the clarification anyway!

5. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I got that on my first read. Thanks for clarifying though.

oncafar and Jordan D. White like this.
  6. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Ah, definitely thought it was something to do with the temple. He does immediately make the comment about Leia taking him to Luke, but I thought that was just him taking advantage of a momentary setback.

Still hoping 000 gets blasted apart before this arc is over.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The arrival of Grievbar was a nicely unexpected twist because Leia totes seemed like she was going to blow them all to Valhalla at the end there.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So, I'm finally tackling the stack of issues that has been piling up these past 6 months (too much homework this past semester- and now my TiVo is also all caught up and I have some free time once again...). Thankfully, the last thing I read was with the waspworm hive bit, so that was a hilariously memorable moment to leave off with.

For this issue, while there might be a slight sense of filler since the characters are literally moving away from the big rumble that happened last time, I think there are several things that helped it avoid that feeling. Mostly the Vader/Leia confrontation and Leia's sacrificial plan. And after we had the good droids vs evil droids throwndown last time, it only makes sense that we get the good Wookiee vs evil Wookiee throwndown as well.

I'm less enthralled with "Grievbar" but at least the fish knows how to make an entrance.

I generally loved the art in the issue- very good character likenesses. Although, it does kinda go a little to far with the film frame reference shots. That was something I recall the early issues of Darth Vader had as well and here it's a little jarring when the reader knows the films so well- those panels pop out but not in a good way. The art itself in those panels is fine, however- just a little too on the nose.

The marathon catch-up continues...

9. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i have several questions about the vader and leia interactions in this.

1. although it was clear to me that vader was trying to deceive leia to give her the opportunity to "escape" while he's distracted, what i wasn't sure about was if leia knew he was doing this. i suppose it doesn't really matter to the story, as either way i think she expected him to keep heading in that direction. but i think she must know because he could have stopped her if he wanted... and why wouldn't he do that from her perspective? i don't know if she knows he's after luke at this point. and maybe to her it doesn't matter why because he'll be just as dead regardless if her plan works.

2. before he is "distracted" vader mentions the two things that he could frighten/horrify/enrage leia the most with: the destruction of alderaan and that her death will not be quick (which would make her recall how he tortured her). is this in part to provide further motivation for leia to want to run? (out of her options fight, flight and group with others for support, only flight is narrowly open to her.) after all, this follows her declaration that he can kill her but he'll never kill the cause (an attitude of martyrdom).

3. vader misjudges leia. he expects her to call her friends for help or go to them. this is interesting because he must know she's out for vengeance and his deliberate mention of alderaan suggests he knows why. yet he doesn't expect her to do something else out of vengeance if he lets her go. why?

or perhaps he thought she might do something out of vengeance, because he is "distracted" by an attempt to "ambush him" and asks her if she dares do that, if she really thinks such an ambush would be successful. maybe he said that because he knew she might call for her friends, *or* she might actually set up an attack, and he's accounting for both. so by telling her ahead of time the futility of trying to send the rebels after him again, he hopes she'll instead call her friends. but still he's underestimating her desire for vengeance and almost single-minded focus on killing him. and the rebels have already sent hordes of people after him, and even though he continually kills them all, they keep trying it, so why stop now?

although perhaps the other point is that leia has changed. it was "unexpected" that she would actually be with troops on the ground trying to take him out. and i remember from reading 'the princess, the scoundrel, and the farm boy' that vader noted leia used her titles like a shield for protection, and emphasized repeatedly that she had no protection now (no one would help her). this was one of his methods of trying to weaken her resolve by making her feel the situation was hopeless. and so maybe he thought her the sort of person who is unlikely to act without support/protection in general and who will reach out to people to save her when she gets herself into trouble rather than risk herself. except now she is a more hardened person than who he remembers and she's perfectly willing to die if it means he'll die too.