main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader #15: Vader Down, part 6 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Jan 8, 2016.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    One of the reasons why I think Aphra getting caputured may have been something she was planning on her own was because I think Vader's plan might have strictly involved her crashing the ship.

2. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    I loved that Vader was not mad at Aphra at all because the mission was not a complete... success. Ok, he was threatening her, but he always does that with everyone :cool: great characterization as mentined above! The man must have a soft spot for young females who speak too much but try their best to help him. Sure he shows more patience towards them than towards some half-witted admirals [face_skull] .
    LOL, the whole situation was a bit "too much coincidence" for even to Han ("You must have a guardian angel" - while Vader is standing on that cliff, his cape is billowing in the wind =D=[face_love][face_peace]

I loved that Leia stays with Vader waiting for the opportunity to blast him (and maybe a bit fascinated by the duel), yes her characterization was also perfect (better than Luke's, but I admit I prefer her style to her brother's anyway).

Fan service or not, I loved the whole series! Seriously, I'm less interested in to where Vader is going, or in the big story arc, because we all know what will happen, there can be no real surprises there. But this little encounters, situations, interactions or just missed interactions, all of them with perfect characterization ( =D= ) can make my day anytime!

BigAl6ft6, minnishe and Darth Zane like this.
  3. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I enjoyed Vader Down but I thought this issue was anti-climatic. It had its moments though, like with Leia. Looking forward to seeing what happens to Aphra now.

4. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Shouldn't this be stickied? That hasn't been updated in a while.

And I, for one, was very disappointed that Karbin didn't outlast the arc. And what was with his pseudo-Imperial guards? Very lame that they went unelaborated on. Reminded me of the DE sentinels, in a cool way.

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Pretty sure no one even really cares anymore. [face_tired]

6. Darth__Syphilis

Darth__Syphilis Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2010
    Grievous with Ackbar's head? Stang, I sure do miss Dark Horse.

JackG, LelalMekha, DelRiego and 5 others like this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I liked this crossover just cuz we got to see the DV cast interact with the SW book main cast so it was basically a way to see how the characters would play off of each other. Also Vader crushed an engine in a shuttle taking off which was fun. Karbin almost put the pieces together that there was something more that why Vader was interested in the Rebel pilot but Vader kills him at that moment. Seeing Aphra spend time under interrogation with our SW heroes should be fun, I'm sure she's going to escape. Or, hell, maybe Vader breaks her out.

Big character moment for Leia, actually. Ever since Star Wars #1, she's been pretty hardcore about military engagements so, at this moment when Threepio is asking for help, she relives the destruction of Alderaan and sees (Force vision?) her friends killed by her obsession so she decides to escape from it all instead of focusing on a target and losing more resources and friends. The mission changes from "kill Vader" to "save Luke Skywalker" So she's the one who knocks out Aphra and saves her friends, who she is probably just starting to come around to view as friends.

Darth Zane likes this.
  8. ElanMars

ElanMars Jedi Master star 1

Dec 14, 2000
    The whole crossover was underwhelming and boring. All these characters constantly bumping into each other, fighting, passing out, conveniently sneaking off despite the wide expanse of land and sand, Darth Vader being around another of the big 3 like it's no thing and happens every week. At least one of those silly lightsaber wielders met their end.

9. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    This issue (and the issue in Shattered Empire where they went to Naboo) really helped me like Leia's character more. In the new canon, I have really enjoyed seeing Luke and Han. But Leia has been so underwhelming, especially in this series. (Well, Star Wars.) This really helped me like her character much more.

Likewise, the Vader comic (and other media released with him like LOTS and Rebels) have led me to enjoy Vader more. Probably because I am a younger fan then some people (well, 20...) but the older characters really never interested me. I loved Maul, Ahsoka, and Kanan, but Luke and Vader always made me kinda bored. With these comic series, and this arc in particular, I have really grown on all of these OT characters.

I am really excited to see what happens with Aphra now. :D I guess she will be in the Star Wars comic, as opposed to the Vader comic for the foreseeable future? :p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001

Yes, how terrible for those of us who like cool action sequences. The tragedy.

Jedi Ben and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Sad thing is they are not even really compelling action sequences, I mean nothing can actually happen to the main cast anyway and there is only so much “fun” to be had with Vader killing several thousand people without any effort. [face_sigh]

12. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

To be fair to the story and artists; they repeatedly showed that the area was filled with valleys, mountains, crevices, hills, etc, so it's not like they were just all out in the open.

A big part of the action between Aphra and Solo relied on the fact that there was more than enough cover for Aphra and Solo to set up ambushes and choke points. In the middle of this are several sandstorms whipped up by nature and the fights plus ships and such throwing up sand.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Han and Aphra running into each other whilst being swarmed by space-bees is actually one of my favourite moments of "Vader Down" because Star Wars comics, sadly, rarely, engage in some bona-fide humour, which is a huge aspect of Star Wars, but a total slapstick gag. Rare in Star Wars comics which focus more on boom but it was fun to see a bit here.

La Calavera and masterskywalker like this.
  14. ElanMars

ElanMars Jedi Master star 1

Dec 14, 2000
    Cool action sequences? There's one thing both those artists don't deliver well, unfortunately, for me. Salvador's artwork is very stiffed and awkwardly, blatantly taken from photos/stills, and while Deodato is a little better...both are a let down to me compared to a lot of the artists available on the Marvel roster, and especially seeing Cassaday, Immonen, Noto, and Maleev on Star Wars titles so far.

Maybe I've been spoiled after enjoying the crap out of Doug Wheatley on Dark Times, or Gabriel Hardman on Legacy II...now those are two I'd love to see on Star Wars titles again, Mike Mayhew is back with Star Wars 15...

spicer, Jedi Ben and Gorefiend like this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    They're not SW but if you want more of their art consider:

King Tiger - trade out in March - Wheatley
    Invisible Republic - V1 is out now, V2 is due April/May - Hardman

spicer likes this.
  16. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Anybody know the name of this class of Imperial guardsmen that surround Karbin:

[​IMG]

spicer likes this.
  17. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I'd like to know that as well. Haven't seen them elsewhere, but I think they look really cool.

Vorax likes this.
  18. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    yea, they're in a couple of panels guarding him in the background.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe they're newcanon Sovereign Protectors? Or Sun Guard?

20. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    That or Imperial Sentinels perhaps?!

21. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I'd love for them to be straight up Sun Guard.

I wish they'd do something to make his face look less like a crappy rubber mask. Loved the Mon Cal's faces in TCW and in Legacy.

I love seeing Vader be such a monster.

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    A solid final issue to the story arc- though, it doesn't feel particularly final. If I was to say the main weakness of the story arc (outside of Vader being a bit too over-powered), it has more of a to-be-continued feel to it, but not in a "self contained story" ESB kinda-way. It doesn't feel like much was accomplished. Yeah, Aphra was captured, Grievbar was killed and Leia began to set aside her desire for revenge on Vader. Buuut, as fun as it was to have all these characters bump into each other and battle, it doesn't feel like any real character goals were accomplished.

But, with all comic things, I guess I gotta see where it goes. Maybe in retrospect these events will seem more significant.

Probably the biggest surprise to me was actually finding Grievbar interesting.. for his final 2 or 3 lines. ;)

Black K getting electrocuted was a great little moment too (all that hair, ha!)- but what exactly happened there? They didn't really explain that well. Is it because 3PO's head was on backwards that Black K punched him in the back? The implication being that back panel is some sort of power/electrical socket?

23. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    The Darth Vader comic series is the only Disney comic series I've read so far, and is it just me or did the artists take frames from the films and trace them, or put a 'comic book drawing' filter on them?

Just about every face shot of Han, Luke, Leia and Grievbar (and probably Vader, 3P0 & R2 for that matter) are straight copy/paste from the films.

Just like with TFA, it feels like they're going out of their way to hit the nostalgia button, so much so that it takes me out of the story a little.

(or they're just lazy?)

24. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Nope, it's not just you. I love the story in this series, but because of the art I'm somewhat glad it's ending in 3 more issues.

25. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    Don't make me post side-by-side examples. :):cool: