main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader #17: The Shu-Torun War, part 2 (of 4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This is written by Gillen, more will be going on than is apparent.

Darth Pipes and TiniTinyTony like this.
  2. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Great issue of Darth Vader, loved it :) 8/10
    +The Lava Leviathan was so cool :cool:
    +Great action in this issue
    +Loved the intrigue in this issue, like the conflict between the twins and Cylo's scheming against Vader.
    +RIP Beebox
    +Spectacular Art, especially when the lava leaked into the Lava Leviathan
    -/+While the Cyborg/Tagge sub plot is getting a little more interesting, I still really don't like Cylo and the Cyborgs

Favorite Quote of the Issue
    ''You look upon your inevitable fate. End this before I end you!'' -Darth Vader

3. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I like that we got the inevitable call-forward reference for "No disintegrations" - but it wasn't a Boba Fett "too much force" reference, as would have been too easy and obvious, I think.

I love that some other Bounty Hunter tried to screw over Vader (not knowing it was Vader) by delivering a disintegrated corpse. In ESB, Vader is now basically saying, "don't even try that %$# with me. Y'all know what happened to Beebox". And a few of those present in ESB we see had been acquainted with Beebox, and presumably his fate. I like it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Really good issue. It especially picked up as it went along.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    So huh, this issue almost seemed to imply that Cylo had something to do with Vader's rehabilitation after Mustafar. Interesting either way.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I am really fond of Queen Trios and hope she makes it out of this arc alive. Her tense relationship with Vader, too, is also a lot of fun. It's just such great intrigue between Vader, the somewhat blunt Imperial suzerain and Trios the client queen who expects to be treated with rather a bit more tact and support.

And Vader, dear, I like you but just a wee more diplomacy would be nice. But the sheer utilitarianism of his view is very, very Vader.

(and I'm still laughing over that issue when someone asked Vader to dance, looool).

7. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Also known as the Space Battleship Yamato. Although the head looks more like that of a head of an Eva unit from Neon Genisis Evangelian.

Hummm, interesting regarding Cylo and his plans. Also, is the Dr. still on Vader's side or is she switching.

8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I'm enjoying the lore of this new planet more than any of the planets introduced in the marvel series and ST. The concept of dozens of ore barons each owning unique and ancestral refineries, vehicles and buildings all dating back thousands of years is really cool.

if canon ever revisits the old republic Sho Torun would be a great planet to see in that era :)

9. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

They wouldn't kill Aphra off screen anyhow.

Good issue. Probably my least favorite one for awhile though. Not quite as much dialogue as I would prefer.

10. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    No, but I can see them first showing the fact of her death in one book, and then stringing along the story as to how it was done in another.

Jedi Ben, SilentGuy66 and LelalMekha like this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And then they bring her back, probably post-Gillen.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I can sort of see marvel announcing an Aphra ongoing after the next big crossover, whenever that is :)

13. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Doubtful. They already have three ongoings in Star Wars, Vader, and Poe. They would increase the number of minis before they would increase the number of ongoings. Could definitely see an Aphra mini though.

14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I'm kinda sad Vader turned down Aiolin. I started to like her. The more the story progresses, the more I like the introduction of the abominations.

Only if Marvel is allowed to do that by LFL. I think it would depend on how final her death was.

Regular Marvel would bring her back four issues later I agree.

BigAl6ft6, La Calavera and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I was pleasantly surprised at Aiolin's desire to train with Vader as originally I was expecting Vader to kill Morit at some point and Aiolin seeking revenge, so I'm glad that Gillen is taking the less predictable route with the twin's story.

La Calavera, Darth_Pevra and spicer like this.
  16. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Great issue. Liked to see more politics and less actions. Even if I still don't care about the cyborgs, I found the idea of Aiolin betraying her brother interesting. And does this mean Cylo is the one who created Vader's suit? Didn't believe about Aphra's death for a second.

La Calavera likes this.
  17. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998

Watch Cylo have custom-made the enhancements over Anakin's original AOTC-era cyber-arm...
    [​IMG]
    ...by direct instruction of Palpatine, implanting some elements of Sheev's own Sith collection (like those seen in Lando) as part of the makeup of the hand.
    [​IMG]
    While Anakin made dark choices on his own, what if he was further fueled by a bit of a Sith IV slow-dripping darkside "drugs" into his system... which happens to be the hand Luke cuts off in ROTJ right before Vader is actually able to fully snap out of it.
    [​IMG]

La Calavera likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Only four issues? I think you under-estimate their patience. They'd spin it out for at least 8, bring in a new mysterious, masked character and then reveal it to be Aphra a year later!

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  19. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    You're right, I forgot about the mysterious masked character. *hangs head in shame* ;)

Darkspellmaster and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    It seems to be every comic now is Darth Vader and .....(insert name).... well I have now found another
    Major Spoilers including synopsis

Darth Vader and the Retcon of Doom
    A Soulless corporation has bought Starwars intent on squeezing as much money as possible from it. They have even turned Vaders own Grandchildren into a winy brat and Mary Sue respectively. Can Darth Vader break the Fourth wall and save the Starwars universe from these retcon's :p

21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Not sure this is the proper thread to whine about the reboot and the fact you didn't like the new movie.

22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Not the good ones. [face_whistling]
    [​IMG]

fett 4 likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No, Vader's new Force abilities do not extend to punching reality.

24. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    The little emoji should have indicated I was being (partly) sardonic

25. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    At first I thought the last two issues of this were a little thin. As first time reads they fly by. However, going through them again made me realize just how re-readable this series is. There isn't a ton of dialogue, but all of it counts.

La Calavera likes this.