main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader #17: The Shu-Torun War, part 2 (of 4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Feb 26, 2016.

1. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Coincidentally, this issue came out shortly before I visited the Mt. Unzen Disaster Museum in Shimabara which is a museum about a volcano eruption that wiped out entire villages in 1792 (yes, there is an entire museum solely dedicated to this, because Japan). Anyway I came out with a new found recognition that anything involving lava is horrifying and I can’t help wondering how in the world the Sho-Torun people can live in a place like that (and also what Vader must be feeling).

This was an interesting issue, I like where this is going. My favorite bits:
    + The twin girl (forgot her name) asked Vader to train her, and Vader so nonchalantly dismissed her. I still wish he trains her somehow. I don’t think we have ever seen that (I mean, Vader training a non-FS person).
    + “No disintegrations!” reference.
    + Cylo has an issue with Vader. Interesting.
    + Aphra’s fake corpse and Vader killing Beebox for trying to cross over him. Yep, that’s the Vader I love.
    - Still not enough Sho-Torun politics. I want to see more of these ore barons bickering about their royal rights and politics. I want know what they’re all about. They’re still a non-entity to me.

2. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Do we know why there is a blackout this week? No new comics, no Rebels? What's going on?

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nothing major. It's one of those things that happens from time to time.

All of this has happened before, all of this will happen again.

BigAl6ft6, episodenone and CooperTFN like this.
  4. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Quoting re-imagined Battlestar Galactica I see.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, except that is 100% guaranteed to happen at some point. :)

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

;)

7. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    [face_rofl]

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    [​IMG]

yesssssssss

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Clearly it's time for Solution K.

10. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I liked this issue, if only for the ending with the bounty hunter but Vader snarking the twins is fun. The moment when Vader stands up for the Queen was actually neat (he has a soft spot for Queens, even if he did chop of her hand) And is it just me or did Cylo's eye look particularly grosser this issue?

and I know I'm misreading this splash page and it's the place Vader slagged last issue

[​IMG]

but I like to pretend this was a person that Vader turned into a mound of goo.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I wasn't as enamored with the lava sub as others but there were quite a few highlight moments in this issue- The "quiet" moment between the female cyber-Jedi and Vader, Tagge discussing Vader and then Beebox trying to scam Vader.

Although that last bit does raise the concern of whether or not it's meant to give a new interpretation/justification for Vader's "No disintegrations." line in ESB. Before, the take was Vader was singling Fett out specifically due to past experience or reputation, but now it could simply be a general warning/disclaimer by Vader that he provides on every bounty since the Beebox incident... Given my concerns over the mischaracterization of Boba in the main Star Wars series, I'd hate to see even more be taken away from the character. Thankfully, no connection is explicit here yet so I can regulate that detai to the background.

The scene was cool, though, as I've been alternating between DV & SW issues as I catch up, so for a moment, what with the attack on the prison beginning in Rebel Jail part 1, I actually thought Aphra's remains could have been delivered here. Happy to be faked out. :)