main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader #19: The Shu-Torun War, part 4 (of 4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 7, 2016.

1. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    Considering how slow Gillen's pacing is I thought Aiolins death was rushed. But it was still interesting and powerful.

Queen Trios character development was simply brilliant. She has clearly learned her lessons from Vader. Hopefully we see her again, even if it isn't in this particular comic.

One final thing is that I think I have turned the corner on Larroca's art. It's not great, it might not even be good, but I feel like I've grown comfortable with it in this series.

2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Really good issue. The death definitely caught me by surprise. Am definitely intrigued to see where it goes from here and how Aphra will play into the story from here on out.

I to hope we see Trios again at some point. Would be cool to find a way to include her in a story closer to the ST and see what she winds up being like when she is in her 50's or so.

La Calavera likes this.
  3. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    [​IMG]

I like this guy. :)

4. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Good conclusion to a good arc. The Queen's journey throughout this was particularly well done. I'm looking forward to seeing how the whole thing with Aphra wraps up....and I'm not sure if I want it to be happy or sad.....

5. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    They could use her for the gap between ESB and RTJ when Vaders becoming more conflicted.

La Calavera likes this.
  6. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I really enjoyed this arc and I loved this issue. It surprised me it was Aiolin the first of the twins to bite the dust (or more precisely, the lava). I also think that Vader was showing a bit of mercy when he, after some hesitation, decided to lift her up and give her a quick lightsaber death.
    But more than anything, I loved the character development of Trios and I hope to see her again in the future. And the issue ended with a great cliffhanger with Thanoth coming back! Poor Aphra, I hope she somehow manages to survive all of this.

Also, I am warming up to Cylo and his experiments. Up until now, I thought his freak show was the weakest of the series and a bit of a letdown compared to other much more compelling OCs. But seeing Morit so cruelly throwing his own sister to a fate worse than death convinced me that this guy can effectively top Vader’s evilness and I am deeply interested in knowing what Cylo “did” for Vader in the past.

7. rowancool

rowancool Jedi Padawan

Aug 22, 2015
    Enjoyed the ending to this particular arc, the Vader series has been pretty consistent throughout and this is no exception.

Was expecting some kind of final showdown between Vader and the twins but it was a nice twist to have Morit betray Aoilin like that, kind them more interesting characters, despite the fact I am still not that keen on Cylo and his creations. Next arc should be interesting with possible repercussions for Vader's scheming and maybe an end to Cylo and his creations.

8. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I am really enjoying this series, but this arc kind of took me out of the mood. I will go back and reread it at some point, but I felt kind of bored, even though I found it interesting. (If that makes sense.) The ending felt abrupt, and the death felt out of nowhere. I guess I will just give it some time and reread this arc, as I think I will enjoy it more when I read it all at once. How it is though, I am kind of glad we are moving onto this newer arc. :)

9. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    A cool variant cover for next issue
    [​IMG]

10. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I want that action-figure now.

11. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I understand, but the coolest action figure would be Aphra.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

Darth_Pevra and revan772 like this.
  12. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    They could just make a comic series line. Thanoth, Aphra, Sana Solo, Evaan Verlaine, Triple Zero and Bee Tee two pack, Kreel, and most importantly Grakkus. :D

13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Grakkus may just be my favorite Hutt ever.

ifleninwasawizard likes this.
  14. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    I hope we see Evaan again. She's one of the more underrated characters in the NEU.

spicer likes this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think this arc was one of the weakest in the run but I still enjoyed it because Vader was rolling solo and cutting through the Royal red tape, quite literally. Also BT basically scared the opposing army to surrender is fun. I thought the death scene was handled well, one of the PT callbacks, that Vader really ... has something approaching empathy if someone is caught in lava. And great last page.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I agree that this was the weakest arc of the series so far (but then all the others have basically been utterly fantastic so, high bar and what have you) and while this final issue wasn't as interesting as the 3rd issue, I did like Queen Trios development throughout the arc (and that shot of her leading the attack against the citadel was pretty cool) as well as the post-surrender portion of the issue wrapping things up (but even that is Trios-heavy).

And I'm thrilled that Thanoth is returning next issue. The betrayal of the twin was unexpected as well- I just don't see how that made any tactical sense on his part.

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    So reading this series years late made this arc really... weird. I was vaguely aware Trios was a major player in the main Star Wars comic arc, not this one. The purpose of Cylo's gang is sort of meh.

It was obvious the moment they were introduced they would all be KO'ed one by one. And that... is exactly what happens. Like others said, I'm surprised Aiolin was one of the first. But it's sort of meh because their plot doesn't really go anywhere.

This is an unfair comment, but it's funny that Tagge is all about Cylo's project, and there Cylo is calling him up from the madhouse lab with crazy gadgets to tell him about his zany projects, and... what about Silas? Cassio, do you care so little for your brother? I thought you Tagges tried to support one another in the family business.

Ithorians and Senpezeco like this.
  18. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Well, OOU I guess we didn't have any reason to expect that there WAS a Silas yet. But IU I think we can say that the Tagge family dynamic is pretty messed up and maybe half the reason Cassio is all into Cylo is *literally to piss Silas off*.

Senpezeco likes this.
  19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    That's what I'm wondering. In the old Marvels, some of the siblings got along better with each other than others. Cassio was always the odd one out because we was assumed already dead (and "Cassio" as a name didn't exist yet) -- in fact, I'm pretty sure he wasn't mentioned at all. Which is sort of interesting why the old Marvel authors even developed a whole Tagge family anyway.

I'm curious if Cassio lives long enough to interact with his other siblings (I would love a Cassio vs Silas debate regarding Cylo), but something tells me he's going to bite the dust soon. It's sort of baffling Vader's let him carry on these smarmy antics so long.

Senpezeco and Golbolco like this.
  20. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I agree that most of Cylo’s cyborgs were relatively useless. The Trandoshan was utterly forgettable, Voidgazer was a joke and Karbin was a poor man’s Grievous. But the Astarte twins had some potential.

Rocket boots, built-in missile launchers and flamethrowers and serious proficiency with lightsabers. Not a bad combination of armaments and skills.

Against the Dark Lord of the Sith, of course that’s no challenge at all. But the twins working together against a single, lesser foe would be an interesting fight. I would have enjoyed seeing the two take on Luke or some other Jedi. As soon as Morit betrayed his sister though, I lost all interest in him. She was the more interesting of the two and I was quite pleased when Vader put an end to him. Morit’ s suicidal overconfidence was ridiculous to the extreme.

He’d seen Vader kill Karbin, the Trandoshan and Voidgazer. What chance did he possibly think he had?

Ithorians likes this.
  21. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Oh, I loved Karbin. He was hilarious.

22. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Hilariously incompetent.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JediFett10 and Ithorians like this.
  23. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    You know, I kinda like Voidgazer, though. In an era of technological terrors, she seemed to be exactly the kind the scientifically driven mind that would arrogantly assume that she/he is the next step in evolution, and that the Force isn't more than a particular (merely genetic) trait. To see Vader give her a reality check was certainly rewarding.

But then, I think the most enjoyable arc of Cylo´s creatures was Morit´s. Raised to think that he was the next big thing and that Vader is obsolete, we spent the entire series waiting for Vader to prove his ideas wrong. When it finally happened, the fight itself was so underwhelming, the threat he posed to Vader so insignificant, that it was rewarding in its own right...

comradepitrovsky likes this.