main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader #20: End of Games, part 1 (of 6) & The Misadventures of Triple-Zero and Beetee

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, May 5, 2016.

1. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I agree. It's been an amazing run, but all good things must come to an end.

Scapro Tyler likes this.
  2. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    For sure. It also showed how good they could do something so I have no doubt whatever replaces Vader will be great.

3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I personally am just glad things got switched back over to Marvel. Not that the stuff from Dark Horse wasn't good but for instance the Dark Times comic took about six years to get to the same number of issues this series has gotten to in about a year and a half.. That would absolutely drive me bonkers having to wait that long to follow a series.

themoth likes this.
  4. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    Just because the Darth Vader series is ending does not mean that Darth Vader as a character is no longer in the comics. I fully believe he will be in the main Star Wars comic, perhaps even with the droids and Aphra, and then there's the Rogue One comics.

5. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Oh yeah it doesn't mean at all that we won't see any of the characters that survive this series again during the Ep. IV-V time period. Just means that this particular series is ending/

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    [​IMG]

Finally, just give as the Aphra series this should have been instead of Vader murders random people with the help of two droids who's whole joke was already dead the second time it was tried.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  7. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

While I agree about the Droids joke, I disagree about the rest, I thought Vader and Aphra made a great pair who really bounced off each other well. You didn't ?

8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Oh Aphra was fun, Vader sadly never was.

9. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

What didn't you like about Vader, please expand ?

10. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Gorefiend hasn't seemed to like anything Marvel has put out Star Wars wise minus perhaps the Kanan series.

Scapro Tyler likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Just commenting on this issue and not the series overall because I still have not read all of them:

I loved Palpatine's speech.

And I agree that we need more Aphra.

Aphra and fett 4 like this.
  12. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Next ongoing after Darth Vader ends - Star Wars: Aphra.

I can dream, right?

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6, Aphra and Gorefiend like this.
  13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

That the entire series just boils down to him going to random places to murder more random people and sorry Vader was never the greatest conversationalist and this series is certainly not doing him any favors in that department.

Lando was brilliant, Obi-Wan and Young Vader is also pretty decent. I even had fun with the Chewie series, but Vader was just terrible from the start.

Hell I was about to complement the great sarcastic Jabba/Vader dialog as about the only good thing to have happens in this series, as it turns out not even that was in the Vader comics, but in the Star Wars series instead, which even makes better use of Vader then his own series. [face_sigh]

blackmyron likes this.
  14. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I dislike Aphra, mainly because I don't think that her character fits in a Darth Vader comic especially not has his companion. I can't see why Vader even put up with her, why didn't he just kill her after she revealed that Luke was on Vrogas Vas. I also feel like her admiration for Vader came out of nowhere, with lines like ''I'm serving a higher purpose'' ''A story worth telling'' ''you have to win''. Now those aren't the exact quotes because I don't feel like rereading the entire series again (I did that yesterday :p) but I think that you guys can still get my point.

15. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    She's a good side character, but I'm not sure if there is yet enough "meat" to her to give her an ongoing.

spicer and Jedi Ben like this.
  16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I don't know about an Aphra ongoing but I could definitely see an Aphra mini happening expanding on the backstory that she gave in issue 10.

BigAl6ft6, Aphra and Darth_Pevra like this.
  17. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014

That conversation was in the Vader series, in #1.

18. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    There were two conversations. The 'official' conversation on Imperial business, and Vader's 'personal' business. One happened in SW, one was shown in Vader.

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Thanoth had a really cool, unexpected exit because he's a true patriot and thinks Vader is actually better than Palpatine to lead the Eternal Empire (which is a nice contrast with Palpy's speech earlier in the issue). He's so logical he'll lead to his own demise and saying that Vader is "Anakin" basically seals his death at that moment. But he went out believingin a cause greater than himself and it was basically a way to motivate Vader (and Thanoth also knows that once Vader is on his tail, it can only end one way so he'd save everyone a lot of trouble and time). So if Thanoth's dying words are telling Vader he can be greater than the Emperor, and Palpy's whole speech was sort of an offhanded apology that STILL put himself front and centre, this is more motivation for Vader to try to turn Luke and destroy the Emperor. Also I liked Vader's line to Sidious that he would be having the same conversation with Cylo's toys but then Vader puts it away because A) he knows he has to be a subordinate to Sidious B) he made his point, time to move on. But it's clearly gnawing at him.

Unfortunate to see the series end but I like how it's clearly leading to a conclusion. And 25 issues of the same damn creative team is a pretty decent run by Marvel standards.

I still think Gillen is going to be mean and kill of Aphra, and it would add a shocking emotional endpoint for the series and further solidify Vader on his path to darkness, but there are so many hints towards her being killed off that maybe the only thing to do is NOT kill her off. Or maybe Vader thinks she's dead, she gets to bounce off into the unknown. And her own mini, at least!

Scapro Tyler likes this.
  20. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Solidify on his path to darkness ! He's already dark, he doesn't need another example of that.

21. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014

Well, I'd better re-read the main SW series then. The memory of those early issues is clearly fading fast!

22. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

It's a shame that Thanoth really dies for nothing. The Empire he loves so much will crumble in 3 short years, and the killing blow will come from Vader's own hand as he kills the Emperor.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    To be reborn as an arguably more efficient and driven Empire not plagued with corruption in the long run.

DelRiego and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's a funny way of spelling "a pale imitation not even worthy of the name."

Magog and Senpezeco like this.
  25. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

Not sure what Empire you're talking about. The First Order is a radical military organization, not an Empire. The New Republic was a democracy, not an Empire, and it mostly died with Hosnian Prime on the Last Day of the Republic.

Darth_Pevra likes this.