main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader #23: End of Games, part 4 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 3, 2016.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Published: July 13, 2016
    Rating: Rated T
    Writer: Kieron Gillen
    Penciller: Salvador Larroca
    Cover Artist: Salvador Larroca
    • Vader vs. Morit on the shell of the Executor!
    • DO YOU NEED MORE THAN THAT???
    • Fine: Cylo's secret revealed!

Darth_Pevra and spicer like this.
  2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Really looking forward to the reveal, I hope it delivers!

cwustudent and Sinrebirth like this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Preview.... It starts quietly:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now, the 'oh ^&%$£' panel:

[​IMG]

spicer, STARBOB and Sinrebirth like this.
  4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oh ^&%$£!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    So has this issue been delayed?

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, I dunno... [face_dunno]

You could always.... read the goddamn Release Date thread?

fett 4 likes this.
  7. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Any guesses re: Cylo-#'s secret?

8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

He in fact really is a Rodian that wears a human skin suit? [face_dunno]

9. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    The Vader/Morit fight was way too simple for me. It seems that out of all of Cylo's creation NONE of them even made Vader break a sweat.

Loved the twist at the end though.....
    Aphra to the rescue perhaps?

10. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I really disliked this issue, and indeed most of this series starting with clone body Cylo (Dark Empire again, except in new canon Cylo can resurrect but Palpatine can't?!)... However this issue hit a new low when
    Cylo reveals he has a built in shut down program he installed when he built Vader's suit in ROTS. Vader is an engineering genius. He built Threepio at 9. If there was a sleeper program in his suit, he would have overriden it in the 20 years between ROTS and this issue.

Let's hope the next issue reveals that Vader did override it years ago, and that he's just faking succumbing to the program to Cylo.

Sent from my SGH-M919N using Tapatalk

Vialco likes this.
  11. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    "Leave the poor defenseless emperor alone! What has he ever done to hurt anyone?" [face_laugh] Never change Aphra.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Voidgazer gave him a good challenge, IMO.

And I don't think Aphra is out to save Vader but rather herself by showing her loyalty to Palpatine to get in his good graces and protect her from Vader.

Otherwise some great Vader lines in this issue.

As for the duel..
    How did Morit die? Did Vader break free the beam he was on? Or did he hurtle debris at him to knock him off? The art wasn't very clear there.

Vialco, La Calavera and SilentGuy66 like this.
  13. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    Vader made the debris, and Morit fall into the planet's atmosphere.

I liked this issue. It's wrapping up all the loss ends neatly. I don't have a problem with this, as I mainly don't care for the idea of Vader being a tech genius, or him building 3P0. Not the mention that those are character traits that are only brought up in the only saga movie I tell everyone not the watch.

14. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    Shouldn't Vader be able to use the Force defend himself? I realise that he hasn't had time to react to his paralysis, but it shouldn't be a huge problem for him.

15. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    The idea that Cylo invented Vader's suit implies that it's something uncommon technology wise.

Which is funny because it seems like it's just a a bunch of technology that will should be pretty ubiquitous in a hyperspace cable culture(and will be ubiquitous on Earth in the next century)

But hey, I guess he innovated on the tech somehow

Or Star Wars culture once again has these anachronistic quirks like old canon Star Wars culture had.

Really seems like just a way to create a dramatic link between Vader and Cylo

16. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    This a universe in which the primary power has their infantry dressed in full armor, the most advanced rifles are a form of semi-automatic rifle, and yet they also have blasters, swords, pikes, and "laser swords." I think it's pretty obvious they're sticking with semi-anarchic. Anything else simply wouldn't be Star Wars.

Essentially the best way to think about the tech advance of the GFFA is to not to. It's basically if the people who invented space travel made it their goal immediately to get to space as soon as possible, and abandon all other pursuits.

17. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    I'm not even saying that kind of culture is impossible or even improbable.

I'm just saying it can be overused or even used incorrectly in some areas.

Prosthetics remaining backwards enough for one man to make an extreme impact on the field stretches imagination for me. Maybe on some individual planets but not in the center of the galaxy.

18. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    This issue wasn't as good as some of the others. I am definitely interested in seeing how these last two issues end. On the surface you could say that Aphra will help Vader kill Cylo and then the big 'what if' will be if Vader allows Aphra to live or not. However since issue 25 is going to be a double issue I think there is going to be something else in store as well (since I don't think it would take three more issues to tell the story of rather Aphra lives or dies).

Perhaps Vader uses Aphra after this point to get more information about the Rebellion (and in particular Luke). Leia has practically already given Aphra an invitation to join the Rebellion. Perhaps much of the final issue will be about Vader and Aphra plotting a scheme to get inside information from the Rebels and that storyline will continue to play out in the regular Star Wars line.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  19. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    So what's happened to Tagge? Is he just passed out or is he dead?

20. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I'm hoping just passed out, since, as Triple-Zero says regarding the neurotoxin gas, "Everyone who hasn't received an antidote from their mostly faithful droid assistant is unconscious. [...] Anyway -- with everyone lying drooling on the floor, we should be able to escape with relative ease."

21. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I really think Vader is faking it and did override the tech or he is going to use the force to break free. My guess is he will let Cylo speechify all he wants then kill him proving his humanity.....that being the rage in him or potentially set up for his fall cause his love for Luke even if he does not full get it. I vote for it being his hate that saves him but then again i am a sith sympathizer.

22. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I agree with you that Vader may have overriden the tech in his suit being the technical genius he is. But based on the cover for next issue, I have a feeling he will overcome this by using the Force fueled by his memories of Padme?

vncredleader likes this.
  23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Poor issue. The best moment was Aphras Emperor line but that's it otherwise it was boring. Also the whole evil Threepio gag has long worn out its welcome

24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Very nice issue with some killer lines and kickass visuals. Morit was never a threat, but then again I didn't expect him to be. Nice plot-twist there at the end. But Cylo is too arrogant and doesn't understand the force whatsoever. Vader doesn't need to use his limbs or even his iron lungs to use it.

But perhaps Vader is playing him or undoing the damage with help of the force. I don't think his "love" will get him out of the situation, this is still pre-TESB and Vader is a bonafide bad guy. If anything, his hate will give him the strength to break free.

25. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Hmm. I'm wondering what the significance of having Padme on the cover for issue #24 is. They have it set up to where it could almost symbolize a spark of light still left in all that darkness. Then again maybe the significance of the cover isn't so much that Padme is on it but that she is facing away from Vader.

ChefCurryWindu likes this.