main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader #7: Shadows and Secrets, part 1 (of 6?)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Rebel_Loyaltist

Rebel_Loyaltist Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2001
    All those credits.

2. SparklingRoyalty

SparklingRoyalty Jedi Padawan star 1

May 1, 2015
    I can't say I enjoyed this particular issue too much outside of the brief trip to Tatooine, although I am interesting in what Aphra is about to do.

3. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    It's probably been mentioned but does anyone think there will be any connection between all the credits Vader confiscated and how they will play into the Lando mini-series?

Just thinking of that Alt cover with Lando sitting on a pile of creds with Vader behind him and the storyline apparently being Lando stealing an important imperial vessel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    That panel of aphra next to the holo table......

**** padme

5. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I love this series. The Vader and Aphra dynamic is perfect, everything Vader does/says is perfect (using the Force to feed that Rodian to his own monster mid-jump [face_laugh]) , and Aphra is just awesome. More development for Black Krrsantan is great too. A Wookiee bounty hunter who enjoys fighting other Wookiees to death and is friends with Bossk? That's just fantastically warped.

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    This series would really just be so much better if it was not actually about Vader. [face_sigh]

7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    You know, it's not a flaw of the book if you don't like the main character in it. If I don't like Batman, I don't read Batman comics, I don't complain on the internet about the existance of Batman comics. If you don't like Vader, why don't you skip it rather than telling us every single time a new issue comes out that Vader doesn't make a good protagonist or that you think the series isn't any good? Obviously a lot of people buy and enjoy a comic centered about Darth Vader, so for them he works as a protagonist.

8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I don’t dislike Vader, the problem is that the comic is not actually using him well, which is the main problem with most stories with Vader in it, his story is already told, there is very little worthwhile you can add to it and this comic series is definitely not adding anything to him.

Oh I will, I literally just had this one shoved at me by a friend because there was a Hutt in it.

Or not, most praise in this series seems to going to the other things, that are not Vader, which is kind of ironic if you think about it.

AplagueOnTheWise likes this.
  9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Fair enough.

I'm not seeing it. Many people mention Aphra, but at least as many people mention Vader or his actions in their posts.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  10. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I like this issue especially for the Tatooine part, too bad it was so short, as for Aphra, it seems like she is working for Vader to rob the credits for his own agenda or at least I hope this is the case for her own sake. This series and the main Star wars series are my favorite, I can't wait for the next issue.

11. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    Another fun issue, though Vader's Force feeding seemed usually sadistic! That Rodian totally deserved it though.

Aphra meeting the bounty hunters was an interesting turn, where do we go from here?!

12. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

The TESB connection, obviously?

I too think that

Aphra and Vader have a deal here. And wow, those people who called her a "faux action girl on TVtropes suck. She does not have to be a superhero to be an action girl.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  13. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Anybody like the name of the letters section at the back: "The Empire Writes Back"[face_laugh]

14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    LOL, didn't spot that at first. But I am very, very curious about the response to Josh's question, the first one on that page.

Aphra should definitely live, as no other character filled that spot on the Sliding Scale of Tomboy vs. Girly Girl, that I know of, before her; and even if they did, they were not nerds on top of it. The author is genius for having thought her up.

15. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I'm a big fan of Aphra too, hopefully she'll have a large impact in the greater SW universe.

Revanfan1, Darth_Pevra and Ewok Poet like this.
  16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
  17. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    She reminds me of Mirax a little bit. But yeah Aphra is one of the best new characters from the comics.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  18. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Aphra has definitely grown on me now that's she's moved past the obvious Indianan Jones homage she was in her fist appearance

Ewok Poet likes this.
  19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
  20. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Hmm, wonder who removed it? [face_whistling]

I had noticed when it got added a few weeks ago. It bugged me, but I was busy and forgot about removing it. Whoever added it was pretty clearly reading with a bias against Aphra (calling her a distressed damsel o_O).

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Niiiice. :D

And yes, both that entry and the one on the list of Star Wars criminals bashes her like there is no tomorrow. Way to go, diversity...and an average troper's tolerance of a female rogue scientist who isn't exactly providing "fanservice"...

22. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Didn't enjoy this comic very much, not much excitement.

DelRiego likes this.
  23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That's bad enough it's making me wonder if it's one individual person going on a crusade and framing their opinions as "the audience's". Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that kind of thing at TV Tropes.

24. Rebel-Jedi

Rebel-Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 26, 2005
    Those preview pages gave me a chill, I'm looking forward to the upcoming Darth Vader TPB collections, can't wait. :)

25. Huttslime

Huttslime Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 1, 2015
    Issue was a little weak outside of Vader's raid on that spice dealer and his reflections on Tattooine, anyone know what Aphra is planning with the bounty hunters?