main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Darth Vader Admiral Piett

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi Master Doctor, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Jedi Master Doctor

Jedi Master Doctor Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2015
    I always thought Vader was a bit more tolerant of Piett than he was with his other officers, almost fond in a way. Do you think something had happened in the past that had lead to some sort of mutual respect between them? Has their relationship been expanded on in the books at all?

2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I think Vader just liked the fact that he wasn't Admiral Ozzel.

3. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    It's not his fault the rebels get away in ESB.

Also Piett isn't a pompous idiot like Ozzel. He is more competent. Perhaps he has respect for that. He is a likable Imperial officer unlike Motti and Ozzel.

It could also be said Vader was too depressed to kill him. Vader has killed officers that hadn't been a fault for rebels escaping such as Needa.

4. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Agreed. I had a boss like that. He fired one of our worse employees we ever had, and started treating the rest of us better simply because none of us, in our worse moments, was ever that guy.

5. Warren Moonwalker

Warren Moonwalker Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    it was ozzel's attitude that got him killed. piett was definitely a different character than ozzel. in some ways, piett was responsible for them finding the rebels on hoth anyways...

6. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    I think Piett was honest and followed orders.

The others were either too arrogant, too incompetent, or had too many excuses.

Even though Piett screwed up a couple times, Vader still preferred to keep him around.

7. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    I don't recall Piett screwing up, but I think he's loyal and honest.
    I consider him an example of an honorable Imperial.

Ozzel would betray people if it increased his standing in my opinion.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  8. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005
    VADER: Did your men deactivate the hyperdrive on the Millennium Falcon?

PIETT: Yes, my lord.

VADER: Good. Prepare the boarding party and set your weapons for stun.

PIETT: Yes, my lord.

Then this happens:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    That's not his fault. He did his job.

10. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005

Vader didn't know it wasn't his fault. Vader was kind of shocked the Falcon disappeared and did a double take.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Needa did his job as best he could - it's not his fault his ship was not equipped to detect Han's clamping on.

SatineNaberrie likes this.
  12. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    Yes I know, I was just pointing out Piett didn't screw up either.

I mentioned above

It could also be said Vader was too depressed to kill him. Vader has killed officers that hadn't been a fault for rebels escaping such as Needa.

But Piett being a competent Admiral doesn't hurt.

13. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

The scene where they watched vader walk by after that was awesome

14. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Mine as well. Every time I watch that scene, I'm thinking, ‘you're so dead, Piett!’ but Vader walks past him. Piett has this face that reads, ‘Wait . . . I'm not dead? Why? HOW!?’

15. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Exactly.
    He did what he was supposed to.

SatineNaberrie likes this.
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Lost Stars goes into the history of one of the two people who did the actual disabling job on that hyperdrive.

They were on the bridge with Piett - and having the same "we're doomed" reaction that Piett was having. They survive too though - and it doesn't hinder their career any.

17. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Yes, indeed.
    Yes, indeed. It really prepared us for ROTJ.

I believe that Vader quickly put together that they had repaired the hyperdrive, and he didn't care about Piett because he was too upset about Luke escaping with them. He was probably thinking something to the effect of this: "What must I do now?" He had all these plans for Luke.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It seems to me that Ozzel was willing to stand up to Vader and disagree with him. Did Piett ever do that? He might have been the reasonably competent yes-man that Vader wanted to obey orders without question.

19. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    Piett didn't agree with Vader all the time.

"Bounty hunters? We don't need their scum."-ESB Piett

I take Ozzel disagreeing with Vader as arrogant/dumb and not standing up against him.
    Why wouldn't he investigate Hoth?

but not a lot is given about Piett in movies so much can be left to fan imagination and I like to think of him as a better man than bad Imperial officers like Motti, Ozzel,and Tagge.

Sarge and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  20. Prospecting on Subtyrrell

Prospecting on Subtyrrell Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 18, 2014
    I would say more shaken than depressed. His son had just refused his offer to join the dark side. He had chosen death over evil. How can this be? Old feelings are brought up in Vader, feelings he hadn't felt since he was Anakin Skywalker. The moment Luke rejects him is the moment Vader begins to turn back towards the light.

So he doesn't kill Piett. He doesn't kill anyone except the Emperor after this point in the OT. His anger has subsided, he no longer feels the need to lash out at his subordinates when things don't go his way. It marks a shift in his character. And that is why this quiet scene is so powerful. No dialogue, but a lot is said.

21. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016

Piett might not have always agreed with Vader...but he never said anything to his face.

"Bounty hunters? We don't need their scum."-ESB Piett. This was an aside to a junior officer behind Vader's back.

The very next line is some officer saying "yes, Sir".

He only whinges down the command chain. Never up it. Perhaps that's the way Vader likes it on his Command Ship?

None of this, "We thought it would be wiser..." nonsense from subordinates needing a good choking.. :)

22. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005
    I think it kind of is his fault. His men disabled the hyperdrive but left it easy to bypass/fix for a droid. He should have removed the whole part (the one that Qui Gon tried to buy from Watto).

Another Piett screw up is that at the beginning of ROTJ the death star construction is way behind schedule.

That's two force chokable offenses lol.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  23. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    That was not Admiral Piett on the D.S

Maybe Piett told his officer's to remove it, but they were lazy:p

24. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    MidKnighT
    If they remove the hyperdrive, I feel like someone would know. I think switching it off and disabling it the best they could was enough, especially since Artoo was there. And this'll get back into the argument of "why didn't he do more?"...and the answer is probably just "he did what he thought was necessary". He told them to do something, they did it, then Artoo reversed it...somehow. In my opinion entirely, the look on his face kind of said to me "what in Chaos?" then "oh ****." :p
    And since we have no idea what Artoo did, we can't blame any one person.

Also that's Tiaan Jerjerrod, and Tiaan is evidently also the most competent one in that case because nobody kills him. :p

Sarge and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  25. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

"What in Chaos?" [face_rofl] I know what you mean. I hadn't thought about that in a long time. Han was right" "We'll see you in Hell!" Everyone was going through hell in that movie. Vader was so disappointed about Luke that he didn't have time to say, "Chaos take your hyperdrive!"