main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison #5 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 3, 2012.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Also, is this the first time we've had a non-droid "thank the maker"?

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I believe so...

[​IMG]

3. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I remember there was a species that believed in the Maker

4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    He was from Thedas.

5. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Did he thank his Maker?

6. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    If I remember correctly, It was the Imperial Sourcebook that said Tarkin was promoted to Grand Moff for his ideas presented in the Tarkin doctrine.

The Last of the Jedi series does indeed mention that it is rumored that Tarkin is due to be promoted to Grand Moff.

So, him being Grand Moff in this story would help date several events. The Tarkin Doctrine has been proposed. The Holonet is being restricted for use by the Navy. Oversectors or priority sectors should arrive soon. It would have been a problem to have priority sectors come into existence so soon, but there are already plenty of scattered resistance groups in existence years before the Rebel Alliance is officially formed.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It was definitely in the Death Star Technical Companion, not the Imperial Sourcebook. I was looking directly at it yesterday.

8. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Excellent conclusion to a great series. Definitely the best post-ROTS Vader comic to date.

I too wish Vader wouldn't be getting his ass kicked so much in these stories. Almost as bad though is how every dying Jedi has a vision of the end of Return of the Jedi. That's just embarrassing.

Still, there is one good example of Vader losing. Star Wars Purge The Hidden Blade. Vader is successful in killing the two Jedi but his obsession (very Anakin Skywalker-like) blinds him to the danger facing the military facility and it gets destroyed. Palpatine leaves Vader on the planet as punishment. This was another perfect early Vader story, proving the character had a lot to learn.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    And The Hidden Blade was written by whom? That's right, Blackman. [face_mischief]

MistrX likes this.
  10. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    In where was he getting his ass kicked in the book?

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I think that fellow was pointing out this story as an exception to that trend.

CooperTFN and SithStarSlayer like this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So...

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album_view.php?gid=4549&page=3

(other covers and info also here)

[​IMG]

Hardback trade is due in March! But there are questions that must be answered!

1. Has Darth Vader and the Lost Command since come out in paperback or does it remain as hardback only?
    2. Does the art deserve the tagline of "fully painted"? I know it's very good but didn't think it was painted?
    3. Hardbacks regularly have the UK RRP of £18.99 - the same as a novel hardback, is even this good enough to warrant a purchase?

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Well "fully painted" is empirical - if could look horrible and still be fully painted. I have to assume they're not lying. :p

14. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    Yes.

15. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    The best Vader story in many, many orbitings, and definitely one of the best comics since the original Clone Wars ended. Many Dark Times stories leave me cold, frankly, but this kicks unprecedented and unexpected amounts of ass while also illuminating corners of that continuity not touched before. I'm cheered that even at this point it's still possible to find a new execution of the "Vader-hunts-prequel-survivors-while-back-at-the-ranch-Palpatine-pulls-the-strings-because-OT-foreshadowing" trope. Well played, Blackman, well played.

Ulicus likes this.
  16. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I have to echo much of the sentiment of this thread. Great, shocking ending that I just loved. And a middle that I loved, too. From just strutting up and gutting a Jedi to the fate of our POV character, well done. I didn't have a great problem with The Lost Command, but even so, this series blows that one out of the water. I would like to see more of Vader's activities closer to the OT, though. And Havac's reminder of that seemingly abandoned Black 8 story makes me miss it all the more.

17. Good_News_Nobody

Good_News_Nobody Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 4, 2011
    They both deserved to fall from that building. Two heartless bastards.

18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Should we even have the Aluminum Falcons this year, or just rename them the Ghost Prison Awards?

Gorefiend likes this.
  19. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007

Because there's no such thing as too much Ghost Prison.

20. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Ghost Prison was awesome, only read it about two weeks ago. it's good enough that I bought the digital issues, and after I finished immediately pre-ordered the trade paperback.

21. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm enjoying these multiple opportunities to Like this video.

Everyone keep posting it in different threads so we can keep giving the video more Likes. The Ghost Prison demands it.

22. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I was about toe post that myself and was beaten to it.... awesome trailer! :D