main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin #1

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Jan 2, 2013.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, I've waited two days to praise the Empire. That's longer than I've waited my entire life, Gorefiend.

How much longer must I wait? I can hardly restrain myself any longer!

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    There's also the fact that "Darth Vader" tends to be standard full story arcs. Purge tends to be one-shot single-issue stories, with the latest one being two issues, presumably so that they could fill out a Purge TPB.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I sometimes get the impression they're sort of mandated to release a Purse issue every once in a while just to remind people that Vader killed Jedi, but the "Vader and the ...." arcs are the product of Randy and da boyz shooting the breeze at After Hours. Haden's probably this nerdy dude going a mile a minute while Randy's just sitting there with his martini and Hawaiian shirt trying to act like he isn't interested/doesn't know Haden.

"Hey Randy I got this idea man -- let's have Vader hunt down Tarkin's son who's just gone off and eloped with a lady who gives Vader dreams of a zombified Padme."
    "Yo Randy, let's hitch Vader and Palpatine up with Trachta and a one-armed lame Imp I'll call Major Tohm and they uh... I dunno... go on a killspree or something. And ghost... zombies."
    "Randy hey hey -- I got it. The big one. We give Vader an apprentice. A *shhhh* secret apprentice. And he'll return to the Jedi Temple and fight ghost... zombie... Sith... Tion...Medon...Rhystall.... hey man, just buy me another drink and I'll figure this out."

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nah, they could have gone with a one-shot and still issued a 4-issue TPB - or they could have done a Marvel and not bothered with the latest 2-part Purge tale and issued a 3-issue TPB with the normal price for a 5-issue one!

Zorrixor likes this.
  5. johnrain39

johnrain39 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Why not 24601?

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  6. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Jean Valjean is nothing now.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If you're talking collections - no-one has yet had the nerve to do 2, 1 or 0 collections, 4 and 6 issue ones are common.

Or are you talking assassins? In which case:

Vader kills 2, then 4, then 6, then none because they're all too scared, then one hardarse tries it on and gets killed!

Alternatively, I just sic Javert on you! :)

8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    0 collections? What's that... a cover and nothing else? :p

9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Thoughts? Anyone?

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I liked it. It focuses on the guy in the preview, and he's the one who hires an assassin to kill Vader. I like Thompson's art so far, though I guess he's only doing two issues. The assassin himself has a pretty cool look. Vader played a very passive role in this first issue, so it'll be interesting to see if that trend continues, or if he'll play a larger role as the series goes on.

11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Nice Set Up and Art work, though I had actually hoped the dragon guy on the cover was the Assassin not the armour guy, but let’s wait and see how it develops.

12. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
  13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Gorgeous artwork imo. Almost every panel is structured in a thoughtful way to maximize the effect. Also the characters faces show a lot of emotion.

But not very much story. It seemed stretched out quite a bit. Hiring that assassin took an entire issue and not much else happens. Okay, the assassin demonstrates his deadliness but that won't get me to worry about Vader much...

14. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

worry for Vader... TFU 2 defeated him after all! so now anybody can :p

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    TFU is a video game.

And anyway, if Vader were to lose against the assassin it would be his death. Vader will win but it will be a close fight.

16. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    a video game that is regarded higher canon than the EU... with direct Lucas involvement^^

besides, Vader can not win a close fight... fighting Vader equals loosing big time, nothing close there.

17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    What is this canon thing you are speaking about? Are you sure you aren't speaking about cannons?

[​IMG]

Seriously, now with Disney at the lead who cares about some video game from five years ago? How can you people still cling to the system when it is all but doomed?

18. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    It's a depressing sign of the times that with the end of the world in sight, the video game I find myself craving more than anything is... TFU3. :p

VADER SMASH!!!

Seriously, I did not sit through those two travesties of video games not to get an ending. [face_not_talking]

It's little surprise LucasArts died when it didn't learn the lesson of Mass Effect 3.

CeiranHarmony and SithStarSlayer like this.
  19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I never played the games (there are better and more intelligent games out there, like Fallout: New Vegas), but it seems TFU is pure wish fulfillment. You play a blank slate hero who can somehow go to the light despite being trained as Sith from childhood and he gets the blond sexy chick and can throw star destroyers around with his mind and stuff and defeat the baddest dude in the galaxy with his powah and by the way found the rebellion.

And that is okay. It is just a game, after all. It is not meant to be taken so über seriously.

But it is telling that even something cheesy like that got the official stamp of canon approval.

20. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Yes... just a game... from the same universe whose written books gave Cthulhu-esque superdemons that can consume souls and turn people into tentacle-blob monsters. :p

21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    This reminds me of the issue where Quinlan Vos' master met up with a band of Anzati assassins (which makes them vampire ninjas!)

The leader orders them to attack, and after the Jedi curbstomps the lot without drawing his lightsaber or using telekinesis, the leader says "and THAT is why we do not accept contracts on Jedi. Class dismissed."

22. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Still loving the "Space Satan" comment.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Wouldn't put it past someone to try and flog a book just of creative extras and behind the scenes material, would you?

Zorrixor likes this.
  24. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    True, I could definitely see them just putting together a TPB filled with letters by Lars Meyer from Germany.

25. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Somebody should complain to Randy about preferential treatment towards Lars Meyer and/or let him write a comic or something.