main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin #4 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 13, 2013.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    [​IMG]

Release Date: July 17
    Details: FC, 32 pages, $3.50, miniseries

Writer: Tim Siedell
    Penciller: Stephen Thompson
    Inkers: Mark Irwin, Drew Geraci
    Colorist: Michael Atiyeh
    Cover Artist: Ariel Olivetti

In the ruins of an ancient moon, Darth Vader encounters an evil people with a dark prophecy and a powerful weapon. They are a threat to the Empire and Vader will force them to serveā€”or crush them all! Meanwhile, the assassin hunting Vader still lurks . . .

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    His lightsaber looks... purple?

That just the lighting or has he discovered a "powerful weapon" belonging to a certain ancient Sith Lord?

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    That is a truly startling shade of fuchsia.

4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Real men wear purple.

5. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
  6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  7. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Ummm.
    [​IMG]

8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Ah bloody hell it is going Lost Command on us. [face_sigh]

Malachi108 likes this.
  9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Well...that was weird.

I hate it when people put marijuana in Vader's repository system.

Malachi108 likes this.
  10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    What the ... hell? Whatever this will be, I'll listen to Pink Floyd while reading.

Why does everyone hate Lost Command around here? Weird.

spicer likes this.
  11. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    Lost Command was not that bad. This is not what i expected, but i am open-minded.

12. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    Did they just use the Infinities white Vader armour? I'm more than willing to forgive the weirdness for that fun little reference.

Malachi108 and VanishingReality like this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Huh, A) I didn't really notice that and B) I didn't make the connection. Good call. Also interesting that his eyes are blue instead of yellow, another seeming shout-out to that Infinities story.

14. Kay Suhyun

Kay Suhyun Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2013
    D-Vade is high as a kite.

15. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    In the white room, in black armor, having visions...

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the white armor was just an illusion of the white room, yeah- though I did think it was the ROTJ Infinities armor there for a moment. And it is kinda funny how his vision was a Marvel/Lost Command stylized Vader visage.

Anyways, this issue is out today and I think it's pretty good- it feels like a self-contained side story so far (outside of paying off the crashed ships from earlier episodes) since the assassin doesn't o anything but watch the temple from a distance in two panels.

The "choice" is interesting- especially how it's more after the fact. Something seemed a bit weird with the lightsabers in the second to last duel panel though, as if the wrong blade color was put on top (ala the original ROTJ duel? ;)).

And on a sidenote, am I the only one who is constantly reading this series' title as "Darth Vader and the Nth Assaassin" for some reason? Or is math just swaying my perception so much that I;m seeing variables everywhere? ;)

cthugha likes this.
  17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    This is a very interesting story and I enjoyed it a lot. Like the previous issues it gives a real look into Vaders psyche, and it does it without using much dialogue at all.

It basically boils down to a decision what he wants to do with his life. Kill rivals or follow his - now twisted - ideals.

The trippy panels of the preview make perfect sense now.

The art, as always, is gorgeous. I admire how Thompson can bring the atmosphere of a situation to life. He even manages to show Vaders emotions through art, no mean feat at all.

So yea, I absolutely loved this one. But I must still advise those who don't like psychedelic stories to stay away. I don't think this is a story for everyone. You either love it or hate it.

18. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Gorgeous art as in the previous issues. It has a very strange story for Star Wars, and I think it's really cool. Eagerly waiting for the conclusion next month!

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  19. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Is this series building up to something? I have only read part 1 to 3, and so far it seems like its all buildup but it doesn't seem possible for it to be completely redeemed part 5.

It could happen though.....

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    3 was definitely a build-up to this issue. I'm curious to see how 5 could tie it together with 1-2 and the titular assassin.

spicer and Darth_Pevra like this.
  21. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Somehow this issue felt like a Warhammer 40K Chaos Cult / Star Wars Cross Over

22. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    wut

...this is so Marvel. 8-}
    Seriously this looks like they had 2 ideas for new Vader stories and just mashed them together. Both are cool in a way, and as you people said the artwork is awesome, but I can't imagine how this episode's side quest can have any relevance for issue 5. Will gladly do penance if proven wrong though :p

23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yes it is true, there are two plots. But I think issue 5 will show the connection, even if it is a spiritual one.

24. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    This is my favorite of the recent DV comics. The artwork is fantastic and the story has a real Heavy Metal Magazine vibe, issue #4 definitely reminded me of Philippe Druillet stories from the late 70's and early 80's, stuff we know GL loved, so quite fitting. All told, a daring, surreal, fantasy-flavored visual feast and a very unique SW comic!

25. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    I know, when he referenced chaos I was thinking, have we switched galaxies all of a sudden. The religious guys remind me of prophets of Nurgle.

Gorefiend likes this.