main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Darth Vader and the Spin Offs

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by ifleninwasawizard, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    I figured if some other characters getting their own threads, the most recognizable villain of all time probably deserves his own.

Ever since the spin offs were announced I have been surprised at the relatively low level of speculation surrounding Vader's role in them. From the most cynical view possible, it is a no-brainer in business terms to give Vader his own film. Not only will it put butts in seats, it will also give people even more reasons to buy Vader merchandise. As an added benefit, the basic premise of the film has written itself; Vader is a legendary Jedi hunter. This is a movie people have wanted to see since 1977.

There are only two reasons I can come up with for why we potentially wouldn't get a Vader spin off. 1) Disney is afraid of somehow tarnishing Vader's reputation. A true stinker of a movie could damage a brand that can survive off of inertia alone. Why fix what isn't broken? 2) Disney plans to use Vader extensively in the spin offs without actually giving him is own film. Any films set between the trilogies (e.g. Boba Fett or an X-wing squadron) may already feature Vader as a pure antagonist, giving him a role similar to what he had throughout most of the OT.

The character and image of Vader are obviously going to continue to be important to the franchise as a whole. With the spin off films Disney has the opportunity to use that image to create a box office hit.

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i'd like it but i think vader's film days are over.

Marco1907 likes this.
  3. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    I hope that 2 is true... I don't see the need for another film devoted to Vader.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm sure that Vader will appear in movies that aren't about him. For example, it would be a waste to have a movie about Boba Fett going on a mission for the Empire and not have Vader appear.

5. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I don't really want a stand alone film about Vader. I do, however, want a live action series documenting his destruction of the Jedi that escaped the purge. I have always, and will always, want this. [face_praying]

Dra--- and Luke'sSeveredHand like this.
  6. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I can't believe that a Vader film isn't top of peoples lists. :confused:

7. kegs202

kegs202 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    I would love to see a Darth Vader centred movie. If there is going to be one then they'll need to be looking at it being one of the first as James Earl Jones isn't getting any younger and without his powerful voice Vader just isn't Vader.

Anakin's Daddy likes this.
  8. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    Yes, it could be amazing but you can't do a movie devoid of character. Vader fans want pure evil in the most brutal way possible. Looking for conflict is going to be hard and he doesn't emote. Vader needs an inner monologue if there isn't going to be a character to make Anakin show himself like Luke.

9. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    If it takes place in the correct timeline, I can't see Disney passing up an opportunity to drop a Vader cameo in one of the Stand alone movies. Nothing big, just a couple of mins at the most.

10. JaymieSecord

JaymieSecord Jedi Padawan

Jul 19, 2014
    Pretty much, exactly. Disney isn't going to shelf one of the greatest movie villains of all time. If we don't get a spin off about Vader specifically, I'd be surprised. At the very least, I'd figure he'll be included as a cameo somewhere.

I know likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Star Wars without Vader is like X-Men without Magneto. Vader will appear wherever and whenever it makes sense for him to appear.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  12. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    A Spinoff with Vader as the star is numero uno on my wish list. But if they're gonna do it they better get a move on.... James Earl Jones is getting up there (83 years old!).

Darth Lurker likes this.
  13. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    Vader #1 movie interest for me. As long as we get true blue Vader. I am really over publicly weak or entirely evil Vader. Lacky Vader and 20th most powerful force user - that stuff is so played out. So yeah if they get it right, I am all in!

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  14. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    That's cause people are scared as hell that he'd be ruined in the film.

15. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    Maybe a movie a long the lines of Dark Lord The Rise of Darth Vader?

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  16. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Agreed.

My biggest fear is any spin off might ruin his character.

17. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Would be even more fun is a Vader vs Xizor movie. They are arch enemies.

Darth_Pevra and rumsmuggler like this.
  18. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    I want anything Vader, any time frame, as much as I can get. I'd love a stand alone film set immediately after RotS or anytime in the OT. I'd like to see a series set between the trilogies. I want to see Vader hunting Jedi. I want to see him and Palpatine conniving against each other. I want to see him suffer and be 'haunted' by Padme and his (supposedly) dead child. I want to see him suffer with physical ailments. I want to see him train a badass padawan. I want to see him commanding the 501st. I want to see him punk Tarkin without Tarkin realizing what happened. I want the irony of him looking at Leia Organa and see Bail Organa sweating bullets. I want to see him tear a planet apart hunting Jedi, rebels... whoever.

You know, I don't want much. :)

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  19. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    The chance of Vader centric movies boat sailed with the PT

Marco1907 and SkywalkerOG like this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Vader centric movie? Doubtful. Vader as an antagonist who shows up in a spin-off film? Absolutely. Him being the "main" antagonist for a spin-off film is probably a little less likely but damn skippy he'll show up and be used.

But as for a Vader specific spin-off film? I would actually like to see a movie where Vader and Palpatine, while in the mist of their various screw-jobs that the Sith are wont to do with each other, have to combine their strength and put away a baddie that only the two Sith Lords can take down. That could be fun. Maybe they start the movie inherently distrustful, because they're Sith, but still working with each other but still thinking of ways to usurp power, however, since they have to take out The Big Bad, they have to work in tandem, therefore setting up their relationship in the OT.

21. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    A Vader movie could work if he's a dark anti hero. How would that happen? If you introduce an evil threat who are even more horribly evil than Vader or the Emperor. Even though Vader is taking out these scumbags in the name of the Empire he's kind of doing good bcs they're killing innocent Imperial citizens. Vader could be sent in on one of his early assignments to subdue this threat in a particular system.

22. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Aren't we getting that Dark Vader animated special next year, just before the release of EpVII? That's probably the closet will get to a Vader spin-off.

23. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    That is just a rumor and I don't know if I believe it to be honest.

24. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    I think a vader spin off is a slippery slope because there are so many things you can cover in between trilogies, vader/palpatine training and there distrust and possible conflicts, Jedi hunting, the building of the empire, his inner struggle of still being anakin skywalker and handling the loss of padme and his family, show him killing watto and jar jar haha

Just so many possibilities I don't know if they could cover it all in one movie I just would love to see vader on the big screen at least one more time he's the greatest character in the history of cinema IMO so even though it's risky I would say take a shot and stay on target..stay on target lol

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I am almost certain Vader will appear but no movie about him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.