main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Vader: Battle Damage

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Bespin_Timeshare, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bespin_Timeshare

Bespin_Timeshare Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2011
    Greetings,

I guess I'm just full of questions today...my second post.
    [image=http://www.entertainmentearth.com/images//AUTOIMAGES/GE12336lg.jpg]
    Darth Vader: Battle Damage

Is it just me, or does Darth Vader get beat down alot? I mean he probably has done the most fighting out of any Jedi/Sith that ever lived. Maybe the suit slows him down too much (no more mid-air backflips and vaulting somersaults I guess).

Is he too sloppy of a fighter? No grace in his moves as Vader (remember, Anakin did have some style). First Dooku cuts his hand off and Obi-Wan basically chops him in half (both as Anakin). Then Luke cuts off his arm (Splinter in Minds Eye) and chops off his hand (ROTJ), Galen Marek/Starkiller kicks his butt in many ways (including that pesky hand again) in TFU/TFU2. And countless other Jedi injured him as he hunts them down in EU and elsewhere. I mean Obi-Wan, Mace Windu and other Jedi/Sith never got cut up so often.

But don't get me wrong, I feel 99% of the time Vader can put the hurt on you in a bad way, but what gives?

Any thoughts?

2. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    Part of it is Anakin's relatively reckless style I believe, but there has also been a bit of "wussification" done to Vader in the EU, especially in the TFU games. In the OT he's the baddest of the bad basically, one the greatest villians of all time. The newer things have him being a bit more, well useless. He's supposed to be one of the strongest Force-Users of all time, but Galen Marek wipes the floor with him.

3. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I agree with the wussification. But, look at it from another perspective. The more fights, battles you are in, you are statistially going to get hurt. Look at professional fighters, UFC guys, cops, firemen. the more physical you are, the greater your chances of getting slapped around/hurt every now again.

4. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    Great new word! :p I don't think Vader has been made out into a Wuss though. He's always up for the challenge no matter what, ever since he was a kid as Anakin in the podrace. Even after he gets all his limbs cut off, is burned alive and looses his wife and children, he still sucks it up and fights aggressively for the Empire. If he was a wuss, he would have ran from his fears instead of embracing evil. I think that the very fact that he still serves the Emperor and conquers the galaxy after he goes through all this intense pain makes him the opposite of a Wuss. He becomes a hardened, hateful, vengeful warrior.

As far as the EU stuff goes, you may have a point, but I don't follow it much or consider it canon.

5. darkfather1972

darkfather1972 Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2011
    This is one of my major problems with The Force Unleashed. We as Star Wars fans were conditioned to believe Darth Vader and Darth Sidious to be the baddest ass Sith in the Galaxy. Then this apprentice, Starkiller, learns more from not Obi-Wan or Yoda, or even the best of the best Jedi; is able to defeat Vader in battle. Just like Deion and Michael say, "C'mon man."

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Like you said, he's been in a ton of fights, you can't beat the odds forever.

Part of it is the suit diminishing his abilities, another part is him being super aggressive and another part is the aforementioned wussification.

As for TUF, I don't consider it canon and I won't be surprised if Lucas deems it non-canon eventually.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    In TFU 2 he displays Force mastery comparable to Palpatine in the ROTS Senate battle. Also, given certain elements of the plot as well as the "Distant Thunder" subplot, there's reason to believe his loss to Staarkiller in that game may be part of an overall master plan. In the fight itself he has an occasional Force attack which is stronger than anything Staarkiller can do to him Force-wise IIRC.

8. darkfather1972

darkfather1972 Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2011
    When Lucas decides to do a Clone Wars type series or if that so-called live action TV show ever comes to fruition, then he will rewrite everything and TFU will become a dream of someone. Probably some kid on Naboo had the events of TFU in a snowglobe.

9. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    Vader is in a big iron suit. He's built like a tank, but an experienced Jedi combatant can work around that. The problem is that Vader has been alternately given the Marty Stu and Worf treatment. Had he been as Anakin was, then the Jedi would have had a rough time. But he's in a slow, clunky suit of armor. What he is is a determinator. It doesn't matter how many times he gets stabbed, slashed, shot, burned, blown up, or crushed, he WILL come back. Having him get beaten by every single Jedi diminishes his value to the story, but so does making him unstoppable.

10. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    1. Keep in mind that Anakin had his limbs all sliced off, and burned over 95% of his body. That is massive amounts of potential lost right there..

11. EmeraldBlade

EmeraldBlade Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2008
    It is not the damage that bothers me, but rather the loss of his damn arm for the eleventy millionth time.

Sure it is a running gag.

12. EmeraldBlade

EmeraldBlade Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2008
    Anyone know how often he lost an arm?

13. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    Not sure.

What gets me is that why doesn't he die when his mask/respirator is destroyed? It's destroyed and he's fighting hard as ever.

14. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    Apparently he has the ability to sustain himself for a short time using the Force, but it is for only a limited time.

15. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    If you think about it, Anakin has to learn to adapt to the mechanics of the suit at first. He's going to be a clumsy, slow to move, and awkward. He has over 20 years to become the fun and loveable sith lord we all know and love..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.